PDA

View Full Version : Deflection/Squirt??????

04-17-2002, 10:38 PM
How come there's so much discussion about the deflection and squirt in different cues and shafts??
Personally, I don't think that anyone suddenly will play much better with a different cue/shaft. The difference will only be marginal.

A player who isn't a professional shouldn't even bother to care about the deflection or squirt of different cues. Just get used to your own stick..

stickman
04-17-2002, 10:58 PM
I would agree to a certain degree. You learn to compensate to the stick of your choice. However, if you have a stick with less, it gives you a little more margin for error.

Cueless Joey
04-17-2002, 11:00 PM
Maybe, but I'm still not playing with Meucci.

04-17-2002, 11:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: pacman:</font><hr> How come there's so much discussion about the deflection and squirt in different cues and shafts??
Personally, I don't think that anyone suddenly will play much better with a different cue/shaft. The difference will only be marginal.

A player who isn't a professional shouldn't even bother to care about the deflection or squirt of different cues. Just get used to your own stick.. <hr></blockquote>

you're actually pretty much right about that. to some of us it's interesting to over-think the "why" of what's happening.

i can concieve of situations where the info could be useful but day-in day-out you're right: settle on a cue and then figure out how to make it do for you what you want. this really is a feel game after all.

dan... the squirt throwed the deflection off and it's another darn equipment failure. drat!

04-17-2002, 11:32 PM
No-one plays with meucci..

*lol*

Doctor_D
04-18-2002, 04:44 AM
Good morning:

I agree that Pool becomes habit forming. However, and this is experience speaking, any habit taken to excess will become an addiction and/or obsession.

Hooked, addicted actually, on Pool and the Billiards Digest Discussion Forum

Dr. D.

Fred Agnir
04-18-2002, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: pacman:</font><hr> How come there's so much discussion about the deflection and squirt in different cues and shafts??

A player who isn't a professional shouldn't even bother to care about the deflection or squirt of different cues. Just get used to your own stick.. <hr></blockquote>

I sort of agree, but it seems that it's the professionals that don't need to care about deflection since they're so good.

I think that some people favor working with the squirt in their cue, and some people favor finding means to reduce the squirt (different equipment). I think both approaches have merit, and that neither is a better approach then the other. However, without the discussions, a vast number of people would never have been introduced to the reduced-squirt equipment. So the discussions themselves, though cumbersome, are necessary. IMO.

Fred &lt;~~~ works with his squirt

04-18-2002, 09:20 PM
I believe that close to 50% of pro players use Predator shafts-- read that figure somewhere, anyway. If it is even 30%, that would be a pretty strong endorsement of the importance of the concept, and one method to deal with it.