PDA

View Full Version : The Right Way to Squeeze a Pimple

nAz
12-10-2003, 02:37 AM
for you teenagers /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dermatologists warn that squeezing pimples can result in scarring and infection. And while that's true, sometimes it's impossible to not squeeze, especially when you discover a newly-popped-up pimple right before an important event. Here, steps to squeezing safely (remember to save this for emergencies only!):

Step 1: Wash your hands. You'll be doing the dirty work with your fingers, so make sure they're free from grime and bacteria (which could further irritate your pimple).

Step 2: Prep the pimple. Use a washcloth if you have access; otherwise, some bathroom paper towels will do. Run under hot water for a minute, squeeze out excess water, and then place over the pimple for two to three minutes. The heat of the compress will help bring the pore-clogging material to the surface, making it easier to squeeze out.

Step 3: Wrap your fingers. Wind toilet paper or a tissue around each index finger.

Step 4: Press gently. Apply downward pressure around the pimple (think of aiming your fingertips toward the very bottom of the pore). If the plug doesn't come out, place fingers in a different spot around the zit and try again. Avoid squeezing upward, as this can make the pore wall rupture under the skin, causing infection or lengthening the pimple's life.

Step 5: Clean the area. After you've squeezed out the debris, use a towel with a mild soap like Cetaphil, $6.99 for 8 ounces, to cleanse the area, removing any residual bacteria.

Step 6: Know when to back off. If you've tried applying pressure several times without luck, temporarily retire your fingers. The pimple may not be ready to "pop," and forcing it can cause redness and scarring.

Qtec
12-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Thats disgusting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

TomBrooklyn
12-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Cueless Joey
12-10-2003, 10:28 AM
I just pliers.

Kato
12-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Pimples are horrible!!!!! When I was in 10th grade my acne was so bad on my neck, chest, and face that I had to go see a dermatologist and did so for over 6 months. I used to walk out of there covered in blood from him popping so many. Injections, facials, blood, yuck, and medications were a way of life for that time. I probably had an oil reserve in my body that would make Penzoil jealous. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

However, since then you can probably count the amount of pimples I've had on 2 hands. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also managed to escape with zero scars and I consider myself lucky for that.

Kato

PS. At your local drug store they sell a small contraption with a hole at either end. Small hole for small zits, larger hole for larger ones. By placing equal pressure around the head it's supposed to prevent scarring.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-10-2003, 11:14 AM
that's one part of my youth I was happy to leave behind.

I would like to be skinny again though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nostroke
12-13-2003, 10:00 PM
I once had one on my neck that I squeezed, punctured, slit burned etc and the MF'r would just shake it off and come back. Finally after 5 months or so of this, i went to a dermatologist. He got rid of it in ten seconds for $40 and very little pain. Turned out it wasnt a pimple but a sabaceous or something like that cyst. Anyway it was the best 40 i ever spent.

Kato
12-13-2003, 10:44 PM
I had a cyst on my neck a few years back as well. Did the same. My Derm was really funny and we were joking and what not. He slit it open and says, "Whoops, I hit the jugular". I just about freaked but somehow maintained composure. Yeah, he freaked me but in the end it was funny.

Kato

nAz
12-15-2003, 01:24 PM
what is a cyst anyway? is it related to a pimple? is it made up of dirt and oil? do i really want to know this? if so why? how do i avoid getting one? do i have $40 to get rid of it if i had one???

Rod
12-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Since you asked, my brother use to get them a lot. They have sort of a bag inside and it needs to be lanced to clean it thoroughly. I think /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
12-15-2003, 01:40 PM
A cyst is a bag of fluid under the skin. Do they hurt? No, but they are ugly to look at and feel. If you just lance it and drain it they will come back. What they actually do is slice it and pull out the bag (membrane of some sort) and depending on the size stitch you back up. Mine took 2 stitches, in and out in 15 minutes, took the stitches out a week later by myself.

Kato

Nostroke
12-15-2003, 10:23 PM
mine took no stitches and was healed totally in a week. Then i got one on my thigh about a year later- i played with it too for about a year- it was real small-then i decided to go after it full force and i gouged deep and long and defeated it forever. Now i kinda miss it!