PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help!!!!

JimS
12-11-2003, 06:54 AM
I just deleted by accident a whole bunch of my favorite bookmarks...almost all my pool sites I'd saved for years.

I use Netscape. Any way to go back to yesterdays listings of bookmarks? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

eg8r
12-11-2003, 07:08 AM
I am not sure you can do it with Netscape. I don't use Netscape, so I am not positive. Hopefully some of the others can help.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
12-11-2003, 08:56 AM
The file that stores your bookmarks should be called bookmark.htm

Do a search on your computer. If you find that file and it's not where it should be (C:\Program Files\Netscape\Navigator or something like that), then copy and paste it to that folder. I think that'll do it.

Oh, you had to have created a profile in Netscape when you first set it up in order for the above to work. HTH

Rod
12-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Jim,

What O/S are you using? This should work for older systems such as 95, 98 ME etc but I'm not positive about XP. Hit Start - Run - Type in SCANREG /Restore It should bring up 5 working copies of the registry. Choose a working copy that was before the time you deleted the favorites. Others can chime in here but this should work. Be sure to leave a space between scanreg and the forward slash as shown above.

Rod

JimS
12-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Did a restore but no luck...still no bookmarks.

Bruins Fan
12-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Did you check your recycle bin or try to export your favorites then do a search for that file.

JimS
12-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Im computer illiterate. I know where the recycle bin is on the desktop but I have no idea what yo mean by check it or what to do if I do check it or what to look for.......

eg8r
12-11-2003, 02:42 PM
You could double click on the recycle bin and look at the contents inside. I am guessing you will not find your bookmark.

I believe once you delete them they are gone.

eg8r

bluewolf
12-11-2003, 02:51 PM
ok. Click the start button at the bottom left and you get popup menus. Look at the right menu and find 'search' or 'find' if you are using something besides xp.

If you are using xp,click the third button down that says 'all files and folders'. Then in the first empty box type in 'bookmarks'. The big white empty screen to the right of that search will search your whole computer. If it finds multiple instances with that word in it,you have to click the one you want to move to that file that Wendy was talking about. If that does not work, just type in netscape. It will come up with multiple files that are in netscape and you look for the one that has bookmarks in the name.

xp also has a 'go back' feature,which would enable you to revert to an earlier date of settings and hopefully recover what you lost.

If you are on an earlier system than xp, then the find will come up with a box, and you have to click a down error to get all files and folders.

The recycle bin. Put you cursor or mouse over it and right click. A menu will come up, click open. Then you can see what is in there by looking through the files for your bookmarks.

This is what I am thinking. It really would help if we knew if you were using xp or something else, in order to help you.

Bookmarks are stored on your harddrive, so it is just a matter of finding them. For me, I do not know a lot about computers, just learned what little that I know through trial and error.

Laura

JimS
12-11-2003, 04:50 PM
I believe Im using Windows 98. Thanks to everyone for your concern. I do really appreciate your attention.

SPetty
12-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Jim,

Do you remember what steps you took to delete the bookmarks? What did you think you were doing when you deleted them? (I don't mean that to be a smartass question - it helps to know these things...)

JimS
12-11-2003, 05:53 PM
I moved some bookmarks from one folder to another folder and then when I deleted the empty folder it took out the folder that held all the pool items instead of just the subfolder I thought I was deleting. I suppose I just deleted something I didn't mean to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

eg8r
12-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Have you looked in the recycle bin yet?

I think it would be easier if you tell us what you have done already as far as the suggestions made on the board?

eg8r

JimS
12-12-2003, 09:15 PM
I've done everything suggested. I looked in the recycle bin but there was nothing from anytime more recent than May.

I tried the restore function per the instructions given here but the computer gave me a message that the restore function would not work in windows and that I needed to go to the dos prompt and type in scanreg.exe /restore. I did that, got a choice of 4 different things. Tried them all, still no bookmarks and now I have an old version of netscape and other problems from a missing file that happened because Im stuck with a old set up of some kind.

I'll call for outside help Monday. Thanks for trying. I always screw somthing up when I mess with the computer. Kinda like a computer guy trying to rebuild a Holley or a Ford 9".

heater451
12-13-2003, 01:43 AM
(I know this is late, but. . .)

Don't bother with the Recycle Bin, OR the restore (although you already have). Those are part of the Windows O/S "proper".

Netscape should have it's own "Trash" folder, in the mailfolders--probably in the right-hand side of the Netscape window. If you haven'e deleted from there--or you don't have a setting that empties it on close, anything deleted should be in there.

The search that Wendy suggested, for bookmark.htm, may lead you to the file on you're local drive, but if you find it, you will still have to place it back in the Netscape directories--possibly within a profile directory (also mentioned by Wendy).

Most likely, it's supposed to be in C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\your_profile_name_here.

If you ever want to back it up, just copy the bookmark.htm file somewhere else. To update your backup, just overwrite it with a new copy from the Netscape (profile) directory.

Note: I am still using Netscape 4.79, but I imagine the directory structure is probably the same, or similar.

Good luck!

=============================

bluewolf
12-13-2003, 08:06 AM
Heater,

I dl the latest version of netscape and part of my ccb stuff scrolled off the top of the page so I uninstalled it.
I went to the site to look for one of the earlier versions, but it defaults to the new one. How do you get one of the earlier versions?

Laura

Sid_Vicious
12-13-2003, 08:31 AM
One of our senior scientists did the same thing several years ago and believe me he had contact links in those bookmarks that he really could not afford to lose, at least that was his serious belief, so there was an intense attempt from all of the gurus and IS people we had at our disposal. Netscape, at least back then was unforgiving. I'll wager that you are sh$t outta luck.

I'd try this though just in case there's a hidden saved backup or something. Go to the Win Explorer file mangler, Tools, Find-Files/Folders, and search at the root of C drive, and enter some key work from one of your lost bookmarks into the "Containing Text" field, the word Billiard maybe. I'd only search one word, not a phrase, and it'll take a lot of time so go get a cup of coffee and wait. If you are lucky you will have a file that will make some logical sense in the file name which still has all your bookmarks and you should be able to then rename that file to the bookmark.htm filename and replace the depleted one you have now. That search peeks into the body of the files themselves for that word, pretty intense search huh.

Good luck. It's worth a try in my book...sid

Rod
12-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Maybe this helps. Netscape (http://wp.netscape.com/download/archive.html)

JimS
12-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks everybody. I'll feed all your information into "my guy" (read..paid professional /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) next week. I touch anything more I'll be buying a new puter! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Troy
12-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Maybe Jim... I have a featue called "CONFIG SAFE". I can pick a date when all worked and re-configure back to the date. Ususall fixes most problems but I don't know about deleted files.

Troy

bluewolf
12-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks Rod. Which is the best edition? 6.2 or earlier?

Laura

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 08:57 AM
Like I said in my first response Jim, many so called professional minds were trying to recover our PHD's lost bookmarks and never could. The best thing in the future to do is backups of your system, monthly of quarterly at least. I find that a second HD is about as cheap and efficient way to go even though I now use a CDR backup system. Drives have gotten so cheap now that I'll probably change my style in the next puter endeavor, probably a hot swap setup so I can keep one in the firesafe just in case...sid

bluewolf
12-14-2003, 05:16 PM
I back up my docs about every month and format about every four months or so, reinstall programs I like, and as for my favorites, the important ones are in my mental computer /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Cueless Joey
12-14-2003, 05:23 PM
Or you can use a USB memory cards. They are generally cheap.
But, e-mailing yourself your bookmark html is pretty easy.

cycopath
12-15-2003, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>Kinda like a computer guy trying to rebuild a Holley or a Ford 9". <hr /></blockquote>

Why rebuild the Holley? Just trash it and go buy an Edelbrock Performer, problem solved. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
12-15-2003, 10:53 AM
There are lots of software for recovering lost files. this has a free trial period.

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/Recover_Documents.html
Q

eg8r
12-15-2003, 12:29 PM
This sucks. One of the very bad things about going back to old saved versions of the registry is that you also lose your new stuff in the process.

eg8r

heater451
12-15-2003, 04:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Thanks Rod. Which is the best edition? 6.2 or earlier?

Laura <hr /></blockquote>Laura,

To answer your earlier question (albeit, mootly), I have a few of the old Netscape installs burnt to CD. I was surprised to see that they still have the older versions archived. . . .

As to which is better, that's completely opinion, of course, but I only use the old Netscape for email, just because I'm used to it, and I have a bunch of contacts in the Address Book. The browser itself is way outdated--and often has javascript issues.

Also, as I said, I'm running 4.79, but if I ever have to reinstall, I may even drop all the way to 4.73. Somwhere around .75, I think, AOL started auto-installing Winamp, which I hate because it 'grabs' my media file extensions. I hate that.

======================