PDA

View Full Version : Pool Rooms

Buzzsaw
12-11-2003, 12:28 PM
What makes a good pool room? If you had the opportunity to create an environment that you thought would be the best of the best places to play what would you create?

PQQLK9
12-11-2003, 12:51 PM
1. Smoke free
2. Well maintained equipment
3. Moderate music volume
4. Good food and drink
5. Table time incentive for frequent players

Buzzsaw
12-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Would it be required to have 9' and 7' tables? What about a snooker table? I'ts funny you mentioned non-smoking. I just got finished reading the thread on that subject and people here have some strong opinions about that topic. I'm a non-smoker so I would lean toward that anyway.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Two separate rooms (same building)

One area for the nite time recreational customers. The ones that pay the majority of the bills. This room would provide all the necessary amenities (Bar, Food, gaming toys and video games) Polite waitresses, plenty of room for food and drinks near the pool table. Good seating for 4 players at a table. Good house cues, even rental cues for $1 for the evening.

One room for the regulars, leagues or gamers. No speakers (juke box), or front room amenities. Except for the bar and waitress. Additional seating for rail birds and sweaters.

Great ventilation, fans, clean restrooms, pro shop for all pool related items, tournaments, leagues and exhibitions.

And most of all, an appreciation for the customers. They are what makes a business successful. Treat them well, listen to their suggestions, respect their comments.

Never let an employee get into an argument with a customer. All employees must be told that if a customer has a problem they must see the owner/manager.

IMO employees are there to service (with a sincere smile), the needs of the customer.

Buzzsaw
12-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Tom - what about a "Pool Stadium" concept. This would have multiple elevated seating areas for viewing purposes.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Good point Buzzsaw,

At Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento, CA. there is stadium seating for about 150 or so spectators. GREAT tournament room.

buddha162
12-11-2003, 08:19 PM
A mix of GC's Diamonds on one side, and Imperials and cheaper on the other. Separate the players from the bangers (not in different rooms though).

Moderate music, decent food, no alcohol.

PRISTINE environment, tables cleaned once a day, rails wiped down after every use, balls buffed 2x a day. Bathrooms and counters and everything cleaned several times a day.

Smoking room (if in the north), heated, super smoke-eaters installed, with nice chairs/couches/tables and lighting.

roger

integra707
12-11-2003, 09:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> 1. Smoke free
2. Well maintained equipment
3. Moderate music volume
4. Good food and drink
5. Table time incentive for frequent players <hr /></blockquote>

Number 3 is overlooked in the pool room i play at. They always have terrible music at deafening volumes.

I like a calm atmosphere. Not too many really young kids around. Good food is always a plus. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ralph S.
12-12-2003, 12:33 AM
PQQLK9, I really like your last suggestion about table time incentives. One of the rooms here has a deal where you can get three months of unlimited playing time by purchasing a card for 40 bucks. The only restriction is during peak hours on Friday and Saturday evenings.

buddha162
12-12-2003, 04:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> One of the rooms here has a deal where you can get three months of unlimited playing time by purchasing a card for 40 bucks. <hr /></blockquote>

What?!?! That's how much I spend in three nights on table time...

Roger

UTAddb
12-12-2003, 09:39 AM
I would say 9 &amp; 8 foots, and a snooker table would be fun, but maybe it wouldn't be used enough.

Buzzsaw
12-12-2003, 11:30 AM
That's a good point. Does a good room cater to a mature audience only or do you support adolescent play? What about lockers for regular players? I personally would have a hard time leaving my cue but maybe if I had an extra to leave there just in case.

NH_Steve
12-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Adequate space between and around tables. There is almost nothing that spoils an otherwise decent room quicker than when owner's try to squeeze even one or two extra tables in beyond what they realy have comfortable room for -- thus causing every single table in the PH to be too damn tight /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

woody_968
12-12-2003, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UTAddb:</font><hr> I would say 9 &amp; 8 foots, and a snooker table would be fun, but maybe it wouldn't be used enough. <hr /></blockquote>
The snooker table in our local room used to never get played on, but then a quarter a point game got started and now it has stopped everyone from playing nine-ball. It really stinks because you will have 7 guys playing on the snooker table and no one to play pool with /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

JPB
12-12-2003, 09:56 PM
OK, this is my best of the best. It is not realistic. This place would not make money. But if I were Bill Gates I might open it.

I would have 8-10 European heated slate billiard tables. I would have one or 2 snookers for golf matches. I would have a dozen or so 9' brunswicks with centennial balls. If I could find some old ones, I'd get a couple old bruswick 10' pool tables. One pool table would be in the front. The rest would be out of the way of the billiard tables. I don't think I would have music. Perhaps I'd allow jazz or blues to be played. No video games. No bar tables. No powder or cone chalk. No reckless chalking allowed over the cloth. I would have a separate smoking lounge with nice leather furniture and stuff. Cigarette smokers would pay a surcharge. Smokers of decent cigars would not. The bar would carry a good selection of malt whisky nad good bourbon. And cheaper stuff for the hardcore. It would not have Zima, Bud Light, wine coolers, white zin, or other bizarre forms of alcohol pursuant to my whim and bias. The bar would have no electric appliances like blenders. Any goofy drinks like screwdrivers or greyhounds would be hand made with fresh fruit, although there would be a heavy surcharge for goofy drinks like that. Bartenders would pour whisky without first running it through a dirty metal measuring cup and would know how to make a martini. There would be an area up front with a place to hang out, play cards, read various daily papers, gamble, and arrange matches to gamble on. There would be new plasma tv's w/ sports.

I expect gross revenues would be about 2,647 per year, but it would be a hell of a place to play. I'd hope to draw some characters by providing them a place to drink and gamble in peace at 11:00 am.

PQQLK9
12-12-2003, 10:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> Perhaps I'd allow jazz or blues to be played. <hr /></blockquote>
My Man! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Troy
12-12-2003, 11:46 PM
Screwdrivers are made by hand... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
12-13-2003, 10:40 AM
You're absolutely 100% correct. With all those extra surcharges the place wouldn't make a dime. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just wonder how much extra I would have to pay to get some ice for my Coca-Cola! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ajrack
01-07-2004, 02:23 AM
I plan to open up a Pool room about september of this year...my basic layout includes 1/12' snooker-1/10' billiard-6/9'pool-4/7'bar box-4/8'tables with the local college teams colored cloth...Oregon/Oregon state/wash and wash state/ in a pit I am calling the "PARTY PIT"...
There will be a special room for the smokers but the main room will be a non-smoking room with no achohol but I will have GREAT food!!!
Kids play pool for free on saturday mornings and I will have special rates for seniors, couples, daily players, and of course I will have a special rate for those who wish to have group private parties in my PIT!
Just the highlites....

cheesemouse
01-07-2004, 08:26 AM
JPB.

What you have just discribed here is your basic private pasture pool golf country club only indoors. Now all you have to do is find 300 members that will pay you $3000&gt;$4000 per year for right to use this sanquary(sp). /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif