PDA

View Full Version : Pool Room Etiquette

Tom_In_Cincy
12-11-2003, 12:30 PM
If you were to post a list of Pool Room Etiquette (def. The practices and forms prescribed by social convention or by authority)What would you add to this list?

Which rules would you post?

My opinion may be biased from a tournament directors view point, so I will try to keep it in a more 'general' playing atmosphere.

1. No sitting on the tables

2. Use only enough power (talc) on your hand to cover just the area where the cue meets the bridge hand. If you can see powder marks on the table you are playing on, then you have used too much.

3. Be aware of players on the tables next to you. They just might return the respect.

4. Please be respectful of the equipment. Don't throw the balls on the table. When using house cues, please returnt them, when finished, to their proper place.

Kato
12-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Pretty much everything falls into those categories Tom.

When your opponent is shooting please go sit your A$$ down and shutup (unless I'm at a CCB tournament then everyone is fair game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Please pick up the chalk if you drop it.

Please put the bridge back on the rest when you're done with it. I love it when the bridge is on the tracking and you can't find the balls.

Kato~~~thinks everything else and probably what I stated is listed under Tom's Rules Of Ettiquette.

Rich R.
12-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Tom, I think "RESPECT" says it all.

Respect the equipment.
Respect your opponent.
Respect the players on other tables.
Respect the employees of the pool hall.

Do all of those, and you can Respect yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Where is Aretha Franklin when I need her? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PQQLK9
12-11-2003, 12:58 PM
1. No smoking over the table and laying cigarettes on the rails.
2. Do not lay chalk face down on the rails.
3. Have FUN

Wally_in_Cincy
12-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Take a break only when it is your turn at the table. I hate when guys say "Just go ahead and shoot, I'll be right back" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Kato,

You're correct about putting the 'Bridge' back after you use it.. BUT there are exceptions... On Ladies nite, we hide all the bridges.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Here's one for TomCincy the TD. Please report the results of your tournament match to the TD

I hate this:

"Who won on table 8 ?"

"Smith won. That match has been over for 20 minutes"

Grrrr....

Iowashark
12-11-2003, 01:28 PM
NEVER set your bottle of beer in a pocket you're not shooting at. In fact, keep all drinks a safe distance from the table to protect the cloth.

It really rubs me wrong when people set their beers in the pockets, and even some of my friends do it.

~~Dave

Rod
12-11-2003, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Here's one for TomCincy the TD. Please report the results of your tournament match to the TD

I hate this:

"Who won on table 8 ?"

"Smith won. That match has been over for 20 minutes"

Grrrr.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, double Grrr, it's a pisser. The TD should say before the tourney starts, winners report match results. Make someone responsible!!! Then if they don't you can single them out and ridicule them in front of the others. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No Cell Phones, especially during a tournament. If you must, other than a tourney put it on vibrate and leave the room so others don't have to listen to your verbal garbage.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
12-11-2003, 01:43 PM
Rod posted:
[ QUOTE ]
No Cell Phones, especially during a tournament. If you must, other than a tourney put it on vibrate and leave the room so others don't have to listen to your verbal garbage. <hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

The first announcement I make at my tournaments is about CELL phones.. 1st time is a warning, 2nd is loss of game, 3rd is loss of match.

I recently had to warn a player (while in the final 4 of the winners bracket). He had it on vibrate, and answered it and started talking and I warned him.. then his opponent asked why I didn't make him forfiet the game. I told him the warning was all that was necessary for the first offense.

BTW, answering your cell phone during a match, will count as a break.

tateuts
12-11-2003, 05:57 PM
1. No Whining Allowed.

Chris

The Watchdog
12-11-2003, 06:40 PM
You Cincy boys are a hoot. Perhaps a match sheet, with the two opponents' names listed, plus a space to insert the table # would help you gentlemen.
When a match is over, the winner brings the match sheet back to the Tournament Director, who now IMMEDIATELY knows which table is ready for a new match, and which player won.
I also include the numbers 1-5 (e.g. race to 5) under each players name, so that the players can use the chalk cube to strike off and keep track of games. Now the Director has all pertinent information.
Generally I try to have a small PA system hooked up also, to announce matches and inject excitement into the room. Players also draw excitement from the match sheets themselves, for they turn a tourney into an EVENT.
Free.

Ralph S.
12-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Hey Wally, quit picking on me just because I was on table 8.

Ralph S.&gt;geusss what the S. stands for! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
12-11-2003, 06:56 PM
No drinks on tables. The pockets were not designed to hold your Budweiser while you are shooting balls or the breeze.

woody_968
12-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Tom, do players that are paged to the front to answer a phone call warned the same as those that have cell phones?

griffith_d
12-11-2003, 08:07 PM
There is not much worse, table wise, when people smoke while they are playing. How do people play with a cig in their mouth,...ashes all over the table!!

Beer bottle in the pocket when shooting!!! make them leave!!!

Drinks on the edge of the table,..why not just set in on the cloth!

Talking on the phone when playing,...what, you can't wait to flap your lips for a minute! Hey!! talk or play!! or play somewhere else.

Sitting on the tables,...sit on the chairs!!

Don't throw the house cues when you can't hold your temper,..people please,..bring your own and throw them.

Have I said enough???

Griff

JimS
12-11-2003, 08:22 PM
Cell phone rings and you're dq'd. No phone calls while playing..messages will be taken. Late and you don't sign up. Beer in the pocket, drink on the rail, or cig in the mouth gets a warning then the second time you're out of the tourney, any lip and you're out of the place. OOOPS...I was thinkin in the tourney thread. Well...some of it still applies. You pick and choose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
In a tournament, the paging system is turned off in the tournament room, I use a small PA system for match and table assignments. I can see all the tables and try to wait until no one is shooting.