PDA

View Full Version : between a rock and a hard place

Iowashark
12-12-2003, 03:28 PM
I've been finishing my basement/game room for the last month and was getting too anxious to get it done and injured my back trying to hang sheetrock by myself. Now I can't finish the basement because of my back, I can't play pool because the room's full of sheet rock, paneling, insulation, etc....

Not to mention going to the pool hall has been a real chore lately with Christmas upon us and my wife nagging about money. So I took my brother's advice. Play online pool.
A video game? I said. Absolutely! says he.

Needless to say, it didn't work, itching even more for the next break. What to do what to do....

Seriously, what to do?

~~Dave

Pelican
12-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Well Iowa, you have got to get your priorities in order. My advice - take all the building materials and store them in your living room so you can still shoot pool. Tell your wife that Dr. Pelican said you needed to do this to relieve your anxiety.

I'll send you a bill. Dr. Pelican

UWPoolGod
12-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Here you go...

http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/494/494980/imgs_1.html

http://xbox.ign.com/objects/571/571311.html
Supposedly came out Tuesday..might have to go pick it up.

UWPoolGod
12-12-2003, 04:06 PM
And you can play the 2nd one on Xbox Live so you can play people from around the world. Yeah!!!

Iowashark
12-12-2003, 04:07 PM
I have to finish Brute Force before I start any new games, maybe I'll have to ask for it for the Holidays, I'm sure the wife would like to get me something that takes even more attention away from her.

~~Dave

Barbara
12-12-2003, 04:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> take all the building materials and store them in your living room so you can still shoot pool<hr /></blockquote>

Well Pelican, you don't know how much a sheet of sheetrock weighs. Try lifting a 12-footer over your head - yeowza!!

Barbara~~~been there with sheetrock, save your back...

Barbara
12-12-2003, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> I'm sure the wife would like to get me something that takes even more attention away from her.

~~Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Dave,

Does your wife have a hobby or interest you can encourage her to do? Listen, my marriage may be a little different because we don't have kids, but when I caught the pool bug, my hubby got a little jealous, too. It wasn't that I wans't paying attention to him, but he was jealous that I had this passion over this game and he didn't have the same feeling for anything else. But he got encouraged to do some woodworking and now since I've booted him out of the basement (for my pool table) and placed him in the garage with room for more toys, he's plenty happy to do his thing and understands the time it encompasses to pursue something you truly enjoy.

Your family (wife) should always come first and you should let them (wife) know that.

Barbara

cycopath
12-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Pelican knows how much they weigh.

We did all the sheetrock in our store, 84+ sheets of 12ft 5/8. Hung it ourselves, and had a guy help us on the finishing.

But I think the comment was a joke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barbara
12-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Iowa,

If the table is set up and you have a high chair available, do this. For whatever game you play, throw out some balls and mentally run out. Just like in chess, you can't move anything, you have to visualize the runout without moving any of the balls. Watch "Searching For Bobby Fisher", the movie. Great mental exercise and a true story about a chess whiz kid.

This is also a good thing to do when you're hitting that thing Kevin Costner was doing in "Tin Cup" - "chile peppers"???? You know, when you've got a hitch in your stroke that you can't figure out and you don't want to force it.

Barbara~~~loves when Cheech Marin goes, "Yeah hit some more of those, Boss, it really impresses them."....

But he got Ken Ventura's autograph.

mike_in_iowa
12-12-2003, 06:05 PM
iowashark says "Not to mention going to the pool hall has been a real chore"

mike says " when did we get a pool hall?"

bluewolf
12-13-2003, 08:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr> I've been finishing my basement/game room for the last month and was getting too anxious to get it done and injured my back trying to hang sheetrock by myself. Now I can't finish the basement because of my back, I can't play pool because the room's full of sheet rock, paneling, insulation, etc....

~~Dave <hr /></blockquote>

Tough being a pool addict. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I put my back out a few weeks ago and after one week of not playing pool, it was driving me crazy. My back was feeling a little better, so I started practicing again and not even that much, thinking I could build up slow. Well now my back hurts again.

Well, lesson learned. As much as it hurts to not play pool, guess i will just have to let my back heal, all the time grinding my teeth and hand itching for the cue. Tuff life. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have kept playing my favorite sport before (when I was younger) through the pain and it just delayed the healing process. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson. But addicts never do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The mental exercise recommended sounds good. I think watching tournaments on tape would help too.

Laura