PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a new cue

aaatkr
12-12-2003, 10:05 PM
After a long hiatus, I started playing seriously again. My old Viking has been trashed by my brother-in-law and I am looking for a new cue under $600. The brands I'm looking at are as follows:
Joss, Schon, Helmstetter, Falcon, Balabushka, Pechauer, Viking, Lucasi and Jacoby (did I forget any).
Are there some of these brands that stand above the others as far as quality is concerned or some that should be avoided? Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cueless Joey
12-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Don't buy a Meucci.

Sid_Vicious
12-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Buy the Joss or the Schon and don't think about it anymore. Six hundred should get you a solid shooter in either line. Yea, skip the Meucci cues...sid

justbrake
12-12-2003, 10:57 PM
save some change for a black dot shaft! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tateuts
12-13-2003, 01:41 AM
I think Schon is the best of this group, with Pechauer second.

If you want a custom, Dale Perry has been selling a number of his customs on E-Bay in the $300 to $500 range - and they're terrific cues.

Chris

JimS
12-13-2003, 06:47 AM
I'm with Chris. I recommend getting a custom made cue.

Chris Cass
12-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Hi aaatkr,

I recommend looking into what Blackheart Cues have to offer. I've seen his work first hand and it's beautiful. He also is a sponsor of a few people posting here. Although, I've never hit with any of his cues they are built well and have heard many fine comments about them.

I also recommend you try the cues your interested in buying. Like most people looks come first. The cue has to appeal to you and then the specs you find most desirable. Formost, the hit or playability of the cue. Lastly, the resale value. You want a cue that will hold most of it's value when you need to up grade later. A good cuemaker would let you trade your in later for an upgrade. You must keep in mind the condition of the cue at the time.

It's an investment no doubt but one that lasts for life. Some trade cues like baseball cards. LOL I do not. I started out with a MO-8 Meucci for 11 yrs, McDermott D-16 for 8 yrs, South West custom 12 yrs and moving into a Szamboti. That be a Barry Szamboti cue. Although Gus's work is well renowned, Barry is more to my style. Barry adds a touch of magic to his Dads Masterful style. Quite breathe taking.

Funny, this isn't something that can be cut and dry. You must learn more about yourself and grow with a cuemaker. Like the game itself, it's a learning process. The Blackheart will give you a jump into this process. IMHO

Good Luck,

C.C.~~ BTW, in concidering resale value one must remember the looks of the cue. I keep my equipment at 100% and the look of the cue is a major factor. one that appeals to others is huge. myself? I listed resale value as last because I feel it's last. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
12-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Its all about personal taste. A few on here have said point blank dont by Meucci. I played with Meucci for several years, then went to a Joss, Mcdermott, Bludworth, and a few others. I am now back to Meucci and like it (although I have been disapointed with many of there new designs). Point is you have to find out what type of feel and performance you like, and this may change over the years as your play improves.

aaatkr
12-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Any more advice?(please) Which cue case and on-line dealers do you reccomend? Shold I get a second shaft right away or wait to do that? More suggestions please. Thanks again.

buddha162
12-13-2003, 10:03 PM
For $600 I would go basic custom, from an "established" cuemaker. These are good examples of what I would go for if I didn't want to wait for one to be built:
http://billiardswarehouse.com/cueobsessions/omen/omen_4.htm
or
http://www.nitticues.com/index.cfm?aa=84&bb=1 (scroll down to bacote plain jane)

I'm having a cue made by Paul Dayton right now (daytoncues.com); I'll be getting it next week and will have more to say about it in 2. You also can't go wrong with Josey (joseycues.com); his cues hit awesome and his customer service is 110%.

If you add another $100 to your budget I would also consider Capone's plain janes. Like Dayton, Capone cores all of his cues and he also uses a laminated handle, as well as Radial pins as standard.

Roger

rukiddingme
12-14-2003, 12:27 AM
If you get a production cue I would get a Schon or Pechauer...USED...but if I were you
I would get a CUSTOM cue if I could. What is it you like in a cue? What size butt do you like? I have small hands so I like to play with a thiner than standard butt. I don't like stainless steel joints. I like a stiff shaft with not much deflection...Meucci red dot shafts are real whippy so you might prefer a shaft that is not too stiff. I like to play with a pro taper shaft...12.5mm. I like a medium to medium hard tip. I have a black ferrule on my shaft. I like to see the contrast between the ferrule and the cue ball...I feel that I know exactly where I am aiming on the cue ball. Unfortunately that is not always were the tip hits though /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Points and inlays are not important to me, but I dolike a nice looking piece of wood. I prefer playing with a cue WITHOUT a wrap. I like the cue to be forward balanced and weigh somewhere between 18.75 and 19.5 oz. I figured that out after going through a few different cues.
My first cue was a Meucci which was stolen. I played with a lot of other peoples cues and then found my Schuler used. I also own a custom Nitti sneaky pete (bought used), a custom wrapless Tragger cue (bought used), a custom Morris cue with wrap(bought used), a custom Alex Brick sneaky pete (bought used), a built to my specs wrapless Sailor cue...had to get a cue from my teacher for sentimental reasons...and I'm about to order a cue from Ed Young.
I play with all my cues (not all at the same time /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)and am always looking to add to my collection. Chris Cass and Karatemom are quite familiar with my cueitis condition... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
ruk

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 08:50 AM
woody reminded me that the black dot Meucci isn't a bad cue at all. I retract what I said in regards about all Meucci cues, the one black dot I played with made balls very well...sid

JimS
12-14-2003, 10:35 AM
I like the soft cue case like the Lucasi 4x8 soft case. It's available for about $45 from www.beadsand billiards.com

I have several cases and the soft ones are so much lighter than the hard and I don't really need a hard case for protection. I have one of those plastic cue extensions (Cue Reach) that slip over the cue so I use it to encase the butt and I used a pvc pipe to make a protective "holster" for the shaft. That takes care of the need for a hard case. The other cues I may have with me aren't that expensive and I don't ever place myself or my cues in a position where the heavy hard case is mandatory equipment.

Most of the online dealers or good places to shop. www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com) www.seyberts.com (http://www.seyberts.com) www.billiardswarehouse.com (http://www.billiardswarehouse.com) www.gobilliards.com (http://www.gobilliards.com) www.frankscenterinc.com (http://www.frankscenterinc.com) www.beadsandbilliards.com (http://www.beadsandbilliards.com) (the 4x8 Lucasi case was $20 cheaper from them that it was from the Buddy Hall website. That's huge..30% lower)

skippy9baller
01-05-2004, 10:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> If you get a production cue I would get a Schon or Pechauer...USED...but if I were you
I would get a CUSTOM cue if I could. What is it you like in a cue? What size butt do you like? I have small hands so I like to play with a thiner than standard butt. I don't like stainless steel joints. I like a stiff shaft with not much deflection...Meucci red dot shafts are real whippy so you might prefer a shaft that is not too stiff. I like to play with a pro taper shaft...12.5mm. I like a medium to medium hard tip. I have a black ferrule on my shaft. I like to see the contrast between the ferrule and the cue ball...I feel that I know exactly where I am aiming on the cue ball. Unfortunately that is not always were the tip hits though /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Points and inlays are not important to me, but I dolike a nice looking piece of wood. I prefer playing with a cue WITHOUT a wrap. I like the cue to be forward balanced and weigh somewhere between 18.75 and 19.5 oz. I figured that out after going through a few different cues.
My first cue was a Meucci which was stolen. I played with a lot of other peoples cues and then found my Schuler used. I also own a custom Nitti sneaky pete (bought used), a custom wrapless Tragger cue (bought used), a custom Morris cue with wrap(bought used), a custom Alex Brick sneaky pete (bought used), a built to my specs wrapless Sailor cue...had to get a cue from my teacher for sentimental reasons...and I'm about to order a cue from Ed Young.
I play with all my cues (not all at the same time /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)and am always looking to add to my collection. Chris Cass and Karatemom are quite familiar with my cueitis condition... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

Hello rukiddingme,

I am in the market for a cue with characteristics that match your tastes. At this point I'm favoring a sneaky pete cue, but I'm undecided. If its not too much to ask, could I contact you off-line to discuss your opinions on the cues mentioned above? My email is skippy9baller@hotmail.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Skippy

ryushen21
01-05-2004, 11:06 PM
i haven't had the luxury of playing with a schon or pechauer, but in the under $600 price range i bought a radial pin lucasi and a 314 shaft and have had no regrets about it at all. and that would leave you with around $200 if you know where to look for good prices. just my $.02 though.

Harold Acosta
01-06-2004, 01:40 AM
Search for a $200-300 Lucasi and save a couple of hundreds.

bluewolf
01-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Whatever cue you decide on, I would shoot with one first to check out the balance. I do not like balanced back cues while others do. Another thing is butt size. Blackheart and many others have larger butts while Layani, another fine and very affordable custom is sleek. My brother in law likes the larger butt in the blackheart. I like a mid size and my husband likes the slender one, much like Layani makes.

The problem with ordering a cue, any cue you have never tried out from either suggestions here or from a website is that you do not know if it will fit you.

In custom cues, Blackheart is probably the best bang for the buck. I have used his and they shoot well. This is a mid balance (neither back or forward). I still have a cheap cut blackheart that I use as my backup or for friends who come over to have a good cue to shoot with. The blackheart I sold to my brother in law (because it was too heavy for me) was a basic ebony with points, no wrap and it came with an xtra shaft. it was beautiful. In his cue you have function and looks. I believe it was initially $650 and I bought it on ebay for $500. The downside of blackheart is that there is about a year wait time. Many customs are this wait so it just depends on how quick you need to have a cue.

I have a custom cue made by scruggs.[This cue fits me perfect while other cues fit others.] It has a very slight forward balance. His basic cue with a linen wrap and no points and xtra shaft is in the 800 dollar range, but you get the cue faster than some customs. He said 4 months to me, but I got it in two months.

Some things i have heard from people who have been collecting cues. Older falcons, balabuskas and meuccis are better than the new ones. I tried a meucci a guy had at the pool hall last night, which looked at least two years old and it was nicely mid balanced.

A long winded way of saying 'try before you buy'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Laura

bluewolf
01-06-2004, 08:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote aaatkr:</font><hr> Any more advice?(please) Which cue case and on-line dealers do you reccomend? Shold I get a second shaft right away or wait to do that? More suggestions please. Thanks again. <hr /></blockquote>

I use a leather 2x4 instroke.My hubbie has the vinyl instroke 3x6 which has not been nearly as durable It is reasonably priced on www.hawleys.com. (http://www.hawleys.com.) They also have most of the production cues at a discount.

Whitten and Justice are exceptionally fine cases but in the $400 plus range.

I am sure that there are other fine cases, but for my personal needs and tastes, those are the only three that I would consider for myself.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
01-06-2004, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
...My brother in law likes the larger butt in the blackheart....<hr /></blockquote>

And it's even thicker after he duct-taped it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

01-06-2004, 11:04 AM

aajourney
01-06-2004, 01:52 PM
A friend of mine is a Pechauer dealer. I bought the P15. It is a truly beautiful cue and plays like a dream. Perfectly straight. So I reccommend Pechauer. I like the cues without a wrap (this will give your grip more friction which allows for a lighter grip) Also, the cues without a wrap often have beautiful exotic woods in the wrap area. Just my 2 cents.

9balldude
01-06-2004, 03:33 PM
I got myself a custom Viattorre cue and am very happy with it. It was quite affordable for what I got also.

bluewolf
01-06-2004, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> You forgot to mention the beginner who was used to hitting with house cues and who held your Scruggs and stated: Ooh, that is too front weighted /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

The guy who said it was the guy who had the meucci which appeared to be at least several years old and it was nicely weighted. He also proudly told me that he is a sandbagging four who can beat all of the fives.

Groan...Fish er I mean pool tales again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

rukiddingme
01-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Skippy,
Feel free to send me a private message using these boards any time. When you log in this site check your messages.
ruk

johngc
01-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I know a guy that deals in cues that will get you great prices. He discounts his cues anywhere from 30-40% off retail. His email is dooziexx@yahoo.com. Give him a try.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-07-2004, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote johngc:</font><hr> I know a guy that deals in cues that will get you great prices. He discounts his cues anywhere from 30-40% off retail. His email is dooziexx@yahoo.com. Give him a try. <hr /></blockquote>

why don't you just post under your real name. You're not fooling anybody.

SPetty
01-07-2004, 03:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> You're not fooling anybody.<hr /></blockquote>I don't know, Wally, I'm pretty easy to fool... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif