PDA

View Full Version : My old Brunswick table

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2003, 09:30 AM
In Pool & Billiard October 2003 p. 40 there is an article about restoring an old table, a 9-foot 1905 Brunswick Wellington. The picture of the table looks identical to mie except mine is an 8-foot and has no ball return. My table came with the house so I am not sure of its age. The nameplate says Brunswick-Balke-Collender.

I also noticed the pockets on both tables are hung on pocket irons and the irons rest on top of the rails. I am now assuming this was standard procedure at that time. It certainly is not very attractive IMO.

To anyone who can give me any additional info I thank you in advance.

#### leonard
12-13-2003, 11:18 AM
That sounds like an old table with the irons on top of the table. I let my 1923 Brunswick catalog out on loan but you can go to Brunswick-billiards.com/history/antique_tables they have your Wellington listed.####

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks ####

This sure looks like it:

http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/history/antique_tables/wellington.html

#### leonard
12-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Wally, Albert Grossman, "the Baron of Bearsville" had a 5x10 Brunswick Medalist Billiard Table in his office. When you enter his office complex you were greeted by a life size Janis Joplin cut out. He had 3 bars/restaurant, an entertainment barn for plays etc and the recording studio.

FYI Albert was the Hippie/owner of the Bearsville Recording Studio in the next town up from Woodstock. He created Peter/Paul and Mary. Bobby Dylan paid him 3 million to get out of his contract. If you ever saw the Janis Joplin story on TV she gives all the credit to her Great Manager Albert Grossman.

At one time he had over 100 recording stars under contract. The only problem was to many of them OD. Jimmy Hendricks had a home in Woodstock but I don't know if he was a client of his.

He reminded you of George Washington with long flowing white hair and long white shirts that fell below the pockets.####

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2003, 02:29 PM
You should write a book my friend /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A fave of mine, Todd Rundgren, recorded on Bearsville. He lived up around Woodstock.

He once called himself The Hermit of Mink Hollow.

I'm gonna go home now and play some 14.1 while listening to Todd Rundgren.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Nobody else knows anything about old tables with pocket irons?

CarolNYC
12-16-2003, 04:26 AM
Hi Wally,
I have an old table,1911, but really know nothing about old tables, but the guy who put my table together is named "Yura"-takes pride in his work-his last email was :
yesyura@hotmail.com
He may be able to help you!
Carol

Pizza Bob
12-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Wally:

Not sure what kind of information that you're looking for, but in the past I've dealt with Joe Newell, one of the foremost Brunswick authorities in the country. I believe he does charge for appraisals, but may part with information, gratis. Unfortunately he has not yet been dragged into the 21st century and has no e-mail, website or even a fax number. Here are the particulars:

Newell & Company
1324 Twenty-fourth Road
Clay Center, KS 67432
Ph: 785-926-3953

If you really want to pursue this, Joe's your man. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

ceebee
12-16-2003, 09:52 AM
there were several styles of pockets & pocket irons. the ones that mount on top are the #3 style, the ones that plug into the rail, are generally referred to as the #6. Both styles were used on just about all tables.

Billy
12-17-2003, 01:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> Wally:

Not sure what kind of information that you're looking for, but in the past I've dealt with Joe Newell, one of the foremost Brunswick authorities in the country. I believe he does charge for appraisals, but may part with information, gratis. Unfortunately he has not yet been dragged into the 21st century and has no e-mail, website or even a fax number. Here are the particulars:

Newell &amp; Company
1324 Twenty-fourth Road
Clay Center, KS 67432
Ph: 785-926-3953

If you really want to pursue this, Joe's your man. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif these guys really do know Brunswicks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

on the phone I got the impression of a junkyard for old pool tables ... hard to find parts in abundance

great people to do business with

Wally_in_Cincy
12-17-2003, 07:47 AM
Thank you all