PDA

View Full Version : So, I want to be a hustler!?!?

bigalerickson
04-18-2002, 01:54 AM
I have been casually playing pool all my life, three months ago I watched "The Hustler" on espn, went out bought a used pool table, and have not stopped playing since.

I don't have a "home room" yet, but have visited each pool room a couple times, enough so that my face is known. And I hear all these stories about money games, yet i have yet to get a reasonable offer. Do I just put a bill on the table? Do I walk around the room looking for games?

I have shot a few pick up games with some strong players, but they were at the time far superior to my game.

Thanks

bigalerickson

Vagabond
04-18-2002, 02:54 AM
Hello Mate,
Please let me have your name,city and state.I may consider dropping by and give u few tips.No worries Mate,Cheers,
Vagabond

04-18-2002, 03:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bigalerickson:</font><hr> I have been casually playing pool all my life, three months ago I watched "The Hustler" on espn, went out bought a used pool table, and have not stopped playing since.

I don't have a "home room" yet, but have visited each pool room a couple times, enough so that my face is known. And I hear all these stories about money games, yet i have yet to get a reasonable offer. Do I just put a bill on the table? Do I walk around the room looking for games?

I have shot a few pick up games with some strong players, but they were at the time far superior to my game.

Thanks

bigalerickson <hr></blockquote>

Watch out for what you wish for Al.Hustling pool is imo a no-no.Feelings get hurt when deception is involved and that may lead to unwanted events that may not have been anticipated.

Gambling is another matter.Usually both know where they stand and can be a much richer experience(no pun intended).Play better players with a handicap and offer a handicap if you are superior to your opponent.This is good for your game ,the proprietor is rewarded, and occasionally your lessons are paid for by your opponent.

If in the end this is not sufficent,walk into any poolroom,carry a big knot of cash,throw it on the table and say "Santa has arrived.Where's all the action?"

The rest will fall into place.Good luck

Chris Cass
04-18-2002, 03:33 AM
So Big Al,
I quite don't know how to reply to your post. First let me say, there's a lot of people wise to that sorta thing. I mean in the true meaning of hustling.

I don't know the speed in which you play. First off, what kind of money are you looking to play for? If your looking to make a real score, you must be very good. I mean not only playing good but good at not showing what you have. Second, you must have time and money to invest.

You'll have to hang around the hall for about a mth or two. Watch and keep your ears open. Then, you'll need to donate to the small fries to get the big fish. Then, you'll have to have enough doe to back yourself to pull it off.

There's too many ways to make money. If it's just a money game you want then, hang around and talk to the counter man. He'll usually get the word around your looking for some small action. Maybe $10. or $20. a set. When, your approached you can make your own game. First don't be surprised if you get pounded on. Not physically but shooting wise.

That's why I recommend hanging around then after seeing the small action. You'll get a good idea what you can deal with and for what.

I must warn you though. Judging by the words you selected. I think you'd better keep your games in the bar scene. The pool hall is filled with guys that can sum your game up quicker than you might think. Word also gets around. Nobody watches the Hustler and then expects to be one. I will tell you this from experience. There's a right way and a wrong way, to taking peoples money. The wrong way hurts. The right way you could run as a business.

I'm sure you heard of the phrase, "Two Bit Hustler"? It's now 4 bits. You need to win $50. a day to make it. The $25.00 a day doesn't work with todays prices.

I personally think your blowing smoke, no offense. I happen to play for money and wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy the pressure, unlike the pressure from work. I should mention though, I love the game and consider it a true sport. I'm at the point in my life with the game, where all that matters is promoting the sport to keep it alive. Hustling in my opinion sucks. I'm well beyond that. I'm not looking to cheat, just beat.....

C.C.

Kato
04-18-2002, 07:43 AM
So Chris, you like to gamble do ya? You got alot a gamble do ya? So ya wanna gamble? Pick on someone your own size.

Kato~~~takes the 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, the breaks, and the last 5 and still can't beat Chris

Jay M
04-18-2002, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>The pool hall is filled with guys that can sum your game up quicker than you might think. Word also gets around. Nobody watches the Hustler and then expects to be one. <hr></blockquote>

I play mainly tournaments, but I also spend a lot of time just playing. To get the really high quality opponents (read that as champions), I've had to put up enough cash to make it worth them playing. I break even sometimes, I lose sometimes and on the rare occasion I win against them. The word on me was that I was a fish and easy money. The truth of the matter is that I was playing CHAMPIONS. Over the last several months, I've had many many local players attempt to take my money to their dismay. In the last 3-1/2 weeks, I hadn't lost a match, even with STUPID weight (giving the 5-out to one guy, 6 ball to another, even offering one of the pros the 8 ball, although he didn't take that bet). Ummm I guess I lost one that I'm not counting, I played richie richeson some 3C and he beat up on me. I walked in yesterday and saw someone that I hadn't seen since this run began and asked him if he wanted to bang them around. The first words out of his mouth were "I need some weight, you've been taking everyone out."

My point. Word gets around VERY quickly and if someone suspects you are hustling, that will get around quickly too. Then you become a target for the guys (like myself) who only play the hustlers and pros.

Jay M

bigalerickson
04-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I'd like to ammend my first statement/question. I am not interested in trying to hustle other people. I'm just trying to learn how to get into some good, reasonable money games, to bring my game to a higher level.

i don't see myself as some Paul Newman wannabe, just a guy who loves pool, and is trying to get into some good action.

Chris Cass
04-18-2002, 01:12 PM
Please forgive me Al. I guess were totally alike. I would suggest then, you join our merry Band of Brothers. I have to warn you though, the sisters here shoot as great as they look. LOL

If your in Fla. look up Kato. It's not easy action but, if you wear some big boots you'll work out a game for sure.

Welcome aboard,

C.C.~~take that Kato...HAHAHAHAHA

04-18-2002, 02:08 PM
In my opinion that is a very bold statement you made in the initial post, considering the caliber of players that hang here at the CCB. Some may travel, some may not, but you neverknow if you might run into one of them. You didn't mention how strong your game is, but from the post I gather it may be a little weak. I would have to agree with C.C., I think it's all smoke and mirrors. JMO.
Ralph S.

bigalerickson
04-18-2002, 02:21 PM
I have paid my way through college by playing poker, I know what what is to be hustled, and i know what it is to hustle. And honestly that is not my bag. When I play poker, i play to win, whether there is nickels, dimes and quarters on the table, or if Im playing into the whites at Bay 101 (whites=100).

And I want to do the same thing with pool now. Start out small, and maybe someday be able to bang around with the likes of C.C., and the rest of you guys I am having such a great time learning to play, but everyone i used to play with is tired of getting beat up on. So, pretty much the next place to go is starting to play for money, not real money, more like lunch, money I guess.

I said more than I need to, but just giving you all a bit of an insight into who I am. And if I do run into any of you out there, I look forward to banging around a bit.