PDA

View Full Version : CCB screen problem

Popcorn
12-13-2003, 12:51 PM
Out of nowhere, when I go on the CCB, there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. It's so wide, I can not even see who made the post without scrolling over. It has actually stopped me from reading the board since it has happened. The non pool related board is fine as is everything else I look at. How can I fix this? Thanks

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2003, 01:04 PM
That long smoking thread caused that.

You can go to your display preferences and where it says "Total parent posts to show per page: (default is 30)" change that to 4 or 6 and the only wide page will be the one with the smoking thread.

Wally~~hopes the smoking thread dies really soon.

Popcorn
12-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Thanks, you guys know everything.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2003, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Thanks, you guys know everything. <hr /></blockquote>

If I only knew how to control my cueball I'd really be in business /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Troy
12-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Nothing about free speech please, but I think it's about time to petition CCBAdmin to delete the tremendously long "SMOKING" thread.

Troy

Wally_in_Cincy
12-13-2003, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Nothing about free speech please, but I think it's about time to petition CCBAdmin to delete the tremendously long "SMOKING" thread.

Troy <hr /></blockquote>

or at least lock it. Sadly nothing will happen until Monday, by then it will have 300 replies /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-13-2003, 06:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Nothing about free speech please, but I think it's about time to petition CCBAdmin to delete the tremendously long "SMOKING" thread.<hr /></blockquote>Sorry Troy, but it is largely about free speech. It is also about honoring the interests and passions of all the pool players who contribute to these distinguished pages.

I am going to PM the admin and the BD editors congratulating them on having such a fine forum where such spirited and popular debate is facilitated, and where the predjudices of outspoken minorities who seek to contort the content of the forum to fit their personal specifications are given short shrift.

Troy
12-13-2003, 09:32 PM
I have no dog in this race Tom, and I have basically refused to participate. I just get tired of scrolling through numerous pages of non-pool related redundant discussion on the Main, i.e., POOL portion of this fine Board.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Nothing about free speech please, but I think it's about time to petition CCBAdmin to delete the tremendously long "SMOKING" thread.<hr /></blockquote>Sorry Troy, but it is largely about free speech. It is also about honoring the interests and passions of all the pool players who contribute to these distinguished pages.

I am going to PM the admin and the BD editors congratulating them on having such a fine forum where such spirited and popular debate is facilitated, and where the predjudices of outspoken minorities who seek to contort the content of the forum to fit their personal specifications are given short shrift.
<hr /></blockquote>

TomBrooklyn
12-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Ah, I thought that might be the case Troy. I view the board in Flat Compressed mode (I think thats how it's described), so that thread, like all the others, appears as one line unless I open it up, no matter how many replies are in it.

bluewolf
12-14-2003, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Nothing about free speech please, but I think it's about time to petition CCBAdmin to delete the tremendously long "SMOKING" thread.

Troy <hr /></blockquote>

No kidding. We just had that same thread not too long ago.

Laura

Voodoo Daddy
12-16-2003, 11:46 AM
I'll trade a cueball on a string for some computer knowledge anytime!!!

bluewolf
12-16-2003, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Nothing about free speech please, but I think it's about time to petition CCBAdmin to delete the tremendously long "SMOKING" thread.<hr /></blockquote>Sorry Troy, but it is largely about free speech. It is also about honoring the interests and passions of all the pool players who contribute to these distinguished pages.

<hr /></blockquote>

Personally I think that thread is dumb, especially since we already went through all of that recently, but rightfully on the NP forum. How many people participate in that more than one time, ie often same people posting in it over and over vs how many people want it gonged?

IMO, the majority should rule. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Laura

TomBrooklyn
12-16-2003, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> the majority should rule. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>Majority rule is not the American way.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

We of the USA pledge allegiance to our Republic, not to a democracy.

Our Republic is dedicated to "liberty and justice for all." Minority individual rights are the priority. The people have natural rights instead of civil rights. The people are protected by the Bill of Rights from the majority. One vote in a jury can stop all of the majority from depriving any one of the people of his rights; this would not be so in a democracy.

In a pure democracy 51% beats 49%. In a democracy there is no such thing as a significant minority: there are no minority rights except civil rights (privileges) granted by a condescending majority. A democracy is a dictatorship of the majority. My ancient Greek counterpart Socrates was executed by a democracy. Although he harmed no one, the majority found him intolerable.

Quash the Dictators!

TomBrooklyn

eg8r
12-16-2003, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll trade a cueball on a string for some computer knowledge anytime!!! <hr /></blockquote> Deal. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Wonders how to commence the trade

UWPoolGod
12-16-2003, 03:06 PM
I say we move from the anti-smoking/smoking thread to the removing of the "under God" from the POA...LOL!!

bluewolf
12-16-2003, 09:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

TomBrooklyn <hr /></blockquote>

Who said we are talking about the constitution? Not every one on this list is even from this country, in case you have not noticed.

Laura---&gt; thanks Tom needs break from devils advocate

TomBrooklyn
12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Not every one on this list is even from this country<hr /></blockquote>Yes, but you are. Therefore, I thought you might be socially conditioned to respect the attitudes, beliefs and convictions of others even if they are different than your own.

In particular because of the differences in nationality and culture that exist on this forum, not everyone agrees on which threads should be locked or deleted or even that any should be. However, as usual, there is no dearth of self-appointed adjudicators who would deem to dictate who should be allowed to post, what they should be allowed to post, and how much about it. These pompous pundits, wanna-be-bosses, and blindly selfish individuals actually believe they have superior knowledge that the unfortunate others who don't agree with them are simply missing.

Usually it is these same narrow minded mouthpieces that are responsible for more general disruption on the forum than anything the subject of their critisism is liable for.

wolfdancer
12-17-2003, 12:25 AM
Well written, Tom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wolfdancer
12-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Laura,.....
"How many people participate in that more than one time, ie often same people posting in it over and over vs how many people want it gonged?"
I gather then, that your, more then one, reply to this thread..is different somehow, then the miscreants, that posted multiple times, in the smoking thread????
Unfortunately, non-smokers are just as passionate about the perceived dangers to their health, as smokers are passionate about the challenge to their &lt;rights&gt;
I think both sides have the right to post their views...just as I have the right not to read them

bluewolf
12-17-2003, 08:32 AM
Personally, I am used to non-smoking in restaurants here. Even though I smoke, it does not stop me from stepping outside or if it is too cold, sitting in my car for 10 minutes or however long it takes to smoke a cig.

I just feel that even if I did initially post on it, if it bothers the majority, even to the extent that some are having screen problems, the majority should rule. But if the majority or even a lot of people who post regularly want the thread to continue, that is another matter all together.JMO

Laura