PDA

View Full Version : sneek peek at my BACKHEART CUE

Ralph S.
12-13-2003, 11:58 PM
I have been patiently waiting for completion of my new BACKHEART cue, and finally got a peek at it near its finished state. Jerry is just about done with it, and from what I seen its worth the wait. Oh man is it gonna be sweet. If you see this Jerry, can you put a pic up of the near finished cue. I am clueless as to how to do this.

A brief description of the cue: eight cocbolo points{4 large, 4 small}. Two 12.75mm shafts with ivory ferrules. Ivory butt cap. Total of 16 diamond shaped ivory inlays{8 at the points, 8 around the butt cap}. Total cue weight 19.5 oz. The cue will have an Irish linen wrap to match the the colors of the ivory and cocbolo {I left this up to Jerry to put what he thinks looks best color wise}. This is just a rough description to give you all an idea.

Thanks for the peek Jerry. This is a gorgeous cue. So if you can put up a ner finished pic I would appreciate it.

Ralph S.>was waiting patiently, now its anxiously /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rukiddingme
12-14-2003, 12:31 AM
sounds great! would love to see it.
Cueitis can be an expensive disease.
ruk

rukiddingme
12-14-2003, 12:33 AM
sounds great! would love to see it.
Cueitis can be an expensive disease.
Speaking from experience /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BLACKHEART
12-14-2003, 12:43 AM
I'd be glad to send a picture to someone who could present it here on the CCB. I'm afraid I have more experience with the lathe, than the computer...JER

SPetty
12-14-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I'd be glad to send a picture to someone who could present it here on the CCB.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Jer,

Send the pic to me and I'll post it here. I'll email you with my email address in case you've forgotten it...

SPetty
12-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Very pretty!
http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/ralph1.jpg
http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/ralph2.jpg
http://members.aol.com/iheart8ball/pics/ralph3.jpg

Ralph S.
12-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks SPetty. I appreciate you putting the pics up.

Barbara
12-14-2003, 03:43 PM
Wowee Wow Wow!!!!

I've always loved the contrast of cocobolo against birdseye maple.

Now are all the hish points the same height as well as the low points the same?

Very sharp design!!

Barbara

JimS
12-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Nice work Jer and Ralph is a lucky/happy man! Kudos to the designer and artist/artisan.

woody_968
12-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Very Nice!

Kato
12-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Jerry that thing is gorgeous. Ralph, you're gonna love the hit.

Kato~~~loves the hit.

Ralph S.
12-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi Barbara. Yes, all the high points are the same length and the low points are the same length. It sure is a beauty.

Scott Lee
12-14-2003, 10:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Jerry that thing is gorgeous. Jim, you're gonna love the hit.

Kato~~~loves the hit. <hr /></blockquote>

RJ...I doubt if Jim will get to play with it, since it is Ralph's cue! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Absolutely BEAUTIFUL cue Jer!

Scott ~ just joshin' Kato

Jimmy B
12-15-2003, 02:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> I'd be glad to send a picture to someone who could present it here on the CCB. I'm afraid I have more experience with the lathe, than the computer...JER <hr /></blockquote>

PPP has a photo gallery it's very easy to use all you have to do is click a button and find the file. It couldn't hurt to get a bit more traffic over there. JB

Poolplayerparadise.com

Fleece3
12-15-2003, 03:29 AM
Why can't I see the pic that everyone is commenting on?

Floyd

Chris Cass
12-15-2003, 03:30 AM
Very nice Ralph. JER does great work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~happy shooting and a nice xmas gift to yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Cass
12-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Dude, you have to scroll up. LOL

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
12-15-2003, 07:59 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kato

griffith_d
12-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Very nice cue,...but I am prejudice,...it's Cocobolo and a Blackheart.

Griff

Ralph S.
12-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks to all who gave their opinions. I am sure once it hits the 100% completion point, it will be awesome. I am very excited and cant wait.

CarolNYC
12-16-2003, 04:18 AM
Its very BEAUTIFUL!
Good luck with it,Ralph!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

buddha162
12-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Hello Jerry,

With this cue, are the points milled individually (like in most 4 pointers), or is the Cocobolo "long-spliced" onto a shorter Maple forearm?

In other words, are the spaces between the points so close that I can't see them in the pictures, or is the base of the Cocobolo points a single piece of wood?

Thanks, always curious about cuemaking. And it's a beautiful cue, I can't wait to see it with a shiny gloss of finish.

Roger

BLACKHEART
12-16-2003, 09:51 AM
There are 8 "V" grooves cut into the Birdseye forearm &amp; 8 pieces of Cocobolo glued into it...JER

ted harris
12-16-2003, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr>In other words, are the spaces between the points so close that I can't see them in the pictures, or is the base of the Cocobolo points a single piece of wood?
Roger <hr /></blockquote>
Looks double milled to me. That means 4 point grooves are cut in and then the point stock is glued in and turned round. Then the next four grooves are cut in and the point stock is glued in again. Because all the points are cocobolo, it's impossible to tell whether he cut the long ones in first, or the short ones.

BLACKHEART
12-16-2003, 11:07 PM
The 4 long points were cut in &amp; then the 4 short ones were cut later. If they were all cut at the same time, all of the points would be a little thinner &amp; there would be a sliver of the Birdseye wood showing at the bottom of each point...JER

buddha162
12-17-2003, 05:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> Looks double milled to me. That means 4 point grooves are cut in and then the point stock is glued in and turned round. Then the next four grooves are cut in and the point stock is glued in again. <hr /></blockquote>

I see. So that's what "double milled" means. I always thought it described recutting points and glueing hardwoods instead of veneers. I suppose it could also mean that...

Thanks,
Roger

ted harris
12-17-2003, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> Looks double milled to me. That means 4 point grooves are cut in and then the point stock is glued in and turned round. Then the next four grooves are cut in and the point stock is glued in again. <hr /></blockquote>

I see. So that's what "double milled" means. I always thought it described recutting points and glueing hardwoods instead of veneers. I suppose it could also mean that...

Thanks,
Roger <hr /></blockquote>
Roger,
Roger that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Pardon the pun!

Cueless Joey
12-17-2003, 10:58 AM
I thought double-milled meant a point over the same point too instead of using veneer as an outside point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jay
12-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Thats an awesome looking cue. Im looking forward to having a cue made by Mr Eick. He is a nice guy and extremely patient with my nagging and nit picking... Sorry Mr Eick

ted harris
12-17-2003, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I thought double-milled meant a point over the same point too instead of using veneer as an outside point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
It means anytime points are cut in on two different occasions, and the second round of points cut in are on top of the others, whether directly on top of them, or such as the one in Jer's cue in the picture above. There can even be veneers. It is the machining process that is referred to as double milled, not the woods or materials used./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedHell
12-17-2003, 03:43 PM
I don't get it, when you look at JER's picture you can clearly see that the cuts were all made before the stock was glued in !!!

What am I missing here !@?@?@?@

Cueless Joey
12-17-2003, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I thought double-milled meant a point over the same point too instead of using veneer as an outside point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
It means anytime points are cut in on two different occasions, and the second round of points cut in are on top of the others, whether directly on top of them, or such as the one in Jer's cue in the picture above. There can even be veneers. It is the machining process that is referred to as double milled, not the woods or materials used./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.ckcues.com/CKQ26-3.jpg
I thought re-milled points look like this.
This had ebony points, then remilled to take maple points, then ebony again.
In Jer's cue, the short points intersected the long points. I didn't know that is also referred to as re-milled points.

ted harris
12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr> I don't get it, when you look at JER's picture you can clearly see that the cuts were all made before the stock was glued in !!!

What am I missing here !@?@?@?@ <hr /></blockquote>
How can you clearly see that all the cuts were made prior to gluing in the point stock?
Not trying to be a wise guy, but I am a cuemaker and I can tell you it would be impossible to get them in that tight by putting them in all at once. The best way to explain it would be to show you with pictures.
Okay, here is a double milled cue that makes it a little clearer, as the points are cocobolo and ebony. Both these cues, and Jer's are double milled, and the one in your picture is triple milled.
http://www.tedharris.com/images/frank_fico_1.jpg
Also, here is a pic of one of them closer to completion;
http://www.tedharris.com/images/frank_fico_3.jpg

Cueless Joey
12-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks Ted.
From your picture I think the forearm is cored too.

ted harris
12-17-2003, 04:37 PM
You are right. Both forearms are cored with laminated cores for stability! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BLACKHEART
12-17-2003, 05:01 PM
I cut 4 grooves into the forearm &amp; then did just what TED HARRIS said. The 4 over sized LONG Cocobolo pieces, were glued in &amp; cut down flush with the Birdseye. Then the 4 "V" grooves, for the 4 SHORT points were cut in. When the whole thing is turned down you have 4 short points intersecting 4 long points at a spot above the wrap, instead of AT the wrap. By the way no part of this particular Q was cored,(although I do core some Qs). If you look at the 3rd picture, that SPETTY was so kind to post, you'll READ why the Birdseye piece in that picture,looks a bit different than the finished one...JER ...P.S. I'm glad everybody likes the pictures &amp; now you won't have to say " I wonder how they do that". THE OTHER Qs PICTURED, SHOW SOME REAL GOOD CRAFTSMANSHIP, I'm jealous.

Cueless Joey
12-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks Jer.
My cuemaking vocabulary is improved.
I don't know if everyone has seen these cues of yours but I'm posting it. http://community.webshots.com/s/image3/5/65/70/105256570oussnw_ph.jpg