PDA

View Full Version : Cue Advice?

krntourist
12-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Im a 17 yr old pool player who's been playing 8-ball and 9-ball pretty frequently in the past two years. I think I'm relatively good compared to others my age, but I would really like to improve my game and a pool hall owner suggested that that first thing I should do is buy myself a cue. I would prefer a lighter cue 18.5/19 that's thin and stiff. And seeing as how I'm not exactly earning six-digit figures, I don't want to spend TOO much money on a cue (perhaps around 250ish?). Could I please get some advice and recommendations? Any little bit of info would help. Thanks

Rich R.
12-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Search through the archives. Cue advise has been discussed a number of times. There have been several discussions within the recent past.

Just a hint, there is no difinitive answer.

cheesemouse
12-14-2003, 08:46 AM
krntourist,

If your looking for the most frugal way to get a quality hitting cue you need go no further than a Dufferin(sp) sneaky pete. The last I heard they can be had for around the $100 mark. That would leave you enough to get a jumpstick ($60>$80) which are a must to have anymore in order to compete effectively. If your limit is $250 you would have enough left over for a spare shaft and a cheap carrying case......there you go, you could become a world champion with that equiptment alone...have fun on the trip...LOL

JimS
12-14-2003, 10:46 AM
The Cheese is right....DUH /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just went to eBay and found a nice 19oz cue for $89. Do a search on eBay for Lucasi VT-8

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 12:13 PM
For the buck, Lucasi is hard to beat, the jumper included. I can imagine that Ebay would be a prime search site, just be aware of the new web price before you get caught up in a bidding battle. The jumper is available locally to me from Hawleys Billiard Store for $59 plus tax, and even at Ebay's prices of $40 for the same cue, you get S&H with mandatory insurance which pushes their cost within less than $10 of my local, new cost. You might think about dealing with the seller on Ebay for both Lucasi cues, JC and play cue, at the same time and saving on the added costs, that's be my advice. Jim's right with the jumper being something you will need in today's game, and Lucasi makes a darn good one! Why not get two cues in the mail ;-) sid

JPB
12-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Were I to do it again as a young and pretty broke player, I would save up a little more $ and get a Schuler. It is a better cue than just about any other production cue. With an "American" shaft it will be sufficiently stiff, which most production cues are not. If you end up liking snooker or billiards you can get other shafts that work. or if you decide on a more flexible shaft (why???) you can. I don't know what you mean by "slim". The schuler shafts will be slimmer since they are tapered right and don't rely on a 13mm diameter to be decent. The butt won't be as slim as some others. But believe it or not, you don't want a slim butt. It is not a matter of preference really. Don't go for one unless and until you are world class and absolutely know you want a skinny one.

You will probably have to spend more than 250. But when I look back on the money I wasted by buying different cues without really knowing what I wanted and then buying other cues once I realized I liked billiards, I could kick myself. And that was when I was young and didn't have the $ to burn. Now it seems like a cue is cheap, so maybe I am overlooking the price difference. But I would strongly recommend a schuler over the usual list of production cues. Then you can add shafts as you go for more options, rather than adding whole cues. Then you can have some money for when you decide to spend a bunch on a custom. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

krntourist
12-15-2003, 12:05 PM
I was thinking about spending around 250 but I would probably spend up to 500, if it really is worth it to spend more. Just a few more questions, though. What are the advantages of getting one good cue over buying a decent cue and getting a jumper or a break cue, etc.. Could someone explain to me the differences and some of the terms please ? i.e. "Sneaky pete", "taper" and just.. other general cue terms <?> Even after reading a lot of info online it's hard to figure these things out. =(

Also.. currently there is a Joss JOS103X with a Meucci Black Dot shaft (which i heard was pretty decent) going for around 250, brand new. Is that worth it at all ? Reasons why/why not?

As always, thanks to everyone for the helpful info

Wally_in_Cincy
12-15-2003, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote krntourist:</font><hr>
"Sneaky pete"

<font color="blue">A sneaky Pete is a 2-pc. cue which, when assembled, resembles a typical house cue. One advantage is that they are relatively inexpensive. Some folks just like the hit. Some folks like the simplicity and unpretentiousness of a modest, understated cue. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

JPB
12-15-2003, 09:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote krntourist:</font><hr> I was thinking about spending around 250 but I would probably spend up to 500, if it really is worth it to spend more. Just a few more questions, though. What are the advantages of getting one good cue over buying a decent cue and getting a jumper or a break cue, etc.. Could someone explain to me the differences and some of the terms please ? i.e. "Sneaky pete", "taper" and just.. other general cue terms &lt;?&gt; Even after reading a lot of info online it's hard to figure these things out. =(

Also.. currently there is a Joss JOS103X with a Meucci Black Dot shaft (which i heard was pretty decent) going for around 250, brand new. Is that worth it at all ? Reasons why/why not?

As always, thanks to everyone for the helpful info <hr /></blockquote>

OK, taper is really important. Read all the stuff on schuler's website. The "pro" taper is often done in a fashion that makes the cue very weak and plays bad. You want some taper in a shaft. Billiard players use shafts with extreme tapers thet give the shaft a lot of stiffness. Pool players don't favor those, but you still need a shaft that has some taper and is stiff. The overall taper of a cue can matter too. Many production cues are too slim in the joint and are too flexible. You also don't want a really slim butt for stroke.

I don't know about meucci black dot shafts. The only meucci I have owned was the worst cue I have owned and I won't own another. The black dot shafts may be better than the ones in the era I owned a meucci. I am sceptical, but without firsthand knowedge of the black dot. Joss are pretty good production cues. Were I to buy a regular production pool cue I would consider one. But I will no longer consider a regular production cue. The Joss has too much weight in the joint and the shafts are too fat but are probably too flexible nevertheless. I would get a Joss before a lot of cues tho.

I would not get a break cue. Break with your playing cue for a while and spend more on the playing cue. You should not damage your cue breaking with it and if the cue can't be used to break with you probably shouldn't play with it. If it is hard on your tip get a better tip.

If you want a jump cue get one. But they are cheap.