PDA

View Full Version : Backslid From Rock Hard Tip To A Moori(H)

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Ok, anyone who posted here for long knows that I have said that tips can't be too
hard for my style, well I got the tip install fever yesterday and decided that one of my
shafts(have three) for the McDermott Prestige I bought from Spiderman was
equipped with a tip that seemed to play a little "off" from the other two, it was a
special Sumo treated for increased hardness. My LePro on the untouched shaft has
played the best for some reason, maybe cuz the shaft is 100% dirt free, a mental
thing for me most likely, but I did still had one Moori in stock from an order
Spiderman and I went in on sometime back, so why not, I put one on Saturday. I
want to tell ya, this tip does play GREAT! It installed beautifully, it looks like
perfection under magnification and I like that. If anyone gets the chance to buy into a
Moori like I did for $7.50 and you ever wondered if you'd possibly want to try the
Moori, I give them two thumbs up. I'll also say though that the Lepro, at least on a
McDermott cue, hits very good, and those are really cheap in comparison to the
layered tips. I tend to be a little "preppy" and don't mind the cost of a layered tip,
especially if that tip plays great...layered tips require little to no maintenance. The
final touch of the super glue technique I performed to the sidewalls really does two
things, one is that it reinforces the tip, the other thing is that it makes a beautiful
finish, especially with a red pad.

Just thought I'd share my recent enthusiasm over the Moori. I now have one on three
different cues, a custom Woodsworth, the Prestige and a Viking(old wood.) I ain't
gonna chop off my other tips but I'd venture to say that if I were to buy into a new
cue and felt a need to replace it's present tip that I would wrangle a deal on another
Moori...sid

JimS
12-14-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm still WELL satisfied with the Talisman Hard...or even the XHard.

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 12:00 PM
That's a good tip, I own a fair stash of the XH and several hard talisaman tips. My biggest negative with the talisman tips has been delamination issues. It seems that the 3rd layer from the bottom has been just too prone to get that visable line of holding chalk, and I've personally discovered underneath a microscope that they had broken down, and I have gone through many Talismans over time(admittedly not recently), so it isn't merely a batch issue(imo.) The Talisman hits as well as the Moori, they just haven't held up to my standards, I can imagine that some players may never even know that the tip had weakened. I tell easier because I look for that crisp sound when I play with a hard tip, and it haunts me to wonder if it's lost something, but that chalk gathering line usually get my attention regardles. Anyway, I'll most likely use the other shaft from the Prestige to install a new Talisman for comparison, it's nice having the tools to whip on a new tip like this. Just maybe the tips I have which are the newest Talismans are durable, the ones glossed and perfectly stamped with it's gold lettering, many of the ones I bought were kinda simple in complexion, but there's only one way to determine if that's so. Problem is that I'll have to use the Talisman enough once installed to tell, and that is usually about 2 months of serious usage. The way that the Moori tips play, plus the fact that I've completely used one up nearly to the ferulle without delaminations, and that the Viking Moori is still kicking after all this time, and now the pleasure in this new one's hit has made me a believer today that the Moori is the premium tip. I may find it difficult to steer away from using them predominently, which will make an unbiased opinion tricky. But given another $7.50 deal on Moori tips, that'll be my direction. The Talismans I own will be good for customers and my break cue, so I'm not ready to lose them. I certainly do not try and sway someone wanting an install away from what the have found to be "their tip." I'll let you know how the test goes. Btw I use an XH on my break cue, left rather flat and shortened to .1" and it's still working fine, no broken layers yet. If it had been left any taller or dime shaped and I'd wonder though.

I respect you and know you are a player and accept the reality that I could be wrong. Play well Jim...sid

JimS
12-14-2003, 12:12 PM
I've never tried a Moori. Gotta do that one day. Should you find a good deal keep me in mind. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
12-14-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> It seems that the 3rd layer from the bottom has been just too prone to get that visable line of holding chalk, and I've personally discovered underneath a microscope that they had broken down, and I have gone through many Talismans over time(admittedly not recently), so it isn't merely a batch issue(imo.) <hr /></blockquote>
How do you get chalk down near the ferrule? First talisman hard wb I had on lasted 8 months and did delaminate about the third layer up. Broke and played with it as much as I could get to a table, not near as much time as I would have liked. Seems like good performance to me.

This apparently was a newer tip than you describe, stamped with neat gold lettering.

Going to check this one with the magnifing glass often, been on about 2 months.

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 12:30 PM
"How do you get chalk down near the ferrule?"

That crud gets all over the unvarnished length of my shafts, I never doubted how it got down on the side of the tip. After all, that area, the tip in it's entirety, is the first line of defense when it come to chalk...sid

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Spiderman found these on Ebay, but he has not said anything about finding more and I know for a fact that he is getting close to being out, customers of his have created more customers. I'll let the board know if and when he makes another find, I'm interested in getting several as well...sid

ras314
12-14-2003, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> That crud gets all over the unvarnished length of my shafts, <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, bugs heck out of me. Don't care what it looks like but I hate the distracting feel of chalk crumbles in the bridge. So rather than keep wipeing the shaft I turn the tip down when I chalk up.

Also keeps the crowd a little distance away when you do this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, one thing I like with the Talisman hard tip is the way it holds chalk a long time.

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 12:50 PM
"BTW, one thing I like with the Talisman hard tip is the way it holds chalk a long time."

You are correct, I don't know why but the Talisman is one of the best in holding chalk, and it's conformation too...sid

stickman
12-14-2003, 01:09 PM
I just recently converted my Sumo to a Talisman on my Viking shaft. My other cue has had a Talisman WB M. I really liked the hit of the Sumo, but the Talisman had so little maintainence, it eventually won out. The grip was excellent, and all I ever do is chalk. I've never tried a Morri, but I can't imagine it playing any better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This Talisman has been on for nearly a year now. I change sticks from time to time, but became my favorite.

Rod
12-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Sid,

Once you find your magic tip, keep using it. Playing with the same tip enables you to feel the position in your "thinking shape" thread. When you find something you really like stick with it. This game is about being consistant and your equipment is part of the equation.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Thanks, coming from you that means a lot. I've always believed that any equipment behind a good player was marginally important at best, but knowing the losses I've had which were by those proverbial c-hairs for misses...well I am prone to get more rigid with my choices. The mental boost alone from "my tip" is enough for my re-direction of pool phylosophy, phylosophical feelings does makes a difference, silly or not, it just does. I'm set now with Moori tips on my most favorite personal sticks...sid