PDA

View Full Version : "Thinking" Shape

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 10:18 AM
I remember George Fels saying in one of his books that the organization of thoughts for shape could be replaced with simply thinking shape, and it works. It's been said here many, many times that you go down on a shot after you visualize while standing and trust your body to do what it knows to do(due to your previous practice and experience), and yet I find myself many times allowing myself to become analytical after I get down on a crucial shot, "I need to use low left" "I need to hit medium speed" "I need to...." Well, I put George's advice to the test this morning and just forgot about where I was hitting whitie, how hard I needed to hit the shot...I just thought my shape and let the natural instincts rule the stroke, the aim, and all of the details. You may say "That's not new, it's just trusting your stroke and doing all of the thinking while standing up before the shot." This is true, I won't argue the fact, but I'll stress that it does become easier to gain shape by simplifying the idea with the "thinking shape" concept. It is amazing how the tip finds the needed english and how the stroke "models itself" to move the CB like it had eyes. Thanks George! Jm2c...sid

ras314
12-14-2003, 11:58 AM
I think that's called "feel"? As opposed to thinking about every little thing. Real confidence builder.

Rod
12-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Sid,

I'm a huge fan of visualiation and have mentioned it many times on this board. Visualiation allows me the freedom to feel the needed stroke and if you will "think shape". I think it's all wrapped up in one little bundle and if thinking shape is a good mental trigger and it works, then why not. Glad you found something beneficial that helps your game and a thumbs up to George.

It's funny how a certain phrase can trigger a light to come on. I know people have countless books tapes, etc. They have read what they need to do countless times but somehow they don't really get the jest or sometimes overlook or ignore what the author is really saying. They might think that it doesn't apply to them and "their stroke" while all the time they don't really have a clue as to what the real problem might be. LOL There are many lost helpful little jewels in all aspects of the game if we take the time to read or comprehend or be open to what the person is saying. Of course learning from mistakes or having experienced what not to do all adds to the learning process. Once we know what not to do then it's a matter of finding or replacing that with a positive mental image of what we should do to improve our play. Then don't try to fix it if it isn't broken. LOL

Rod

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Funny thing with me Rod is that I have collected jewels, like that one form G. Fels' book(which I totally consumed back in the 80's while I was selectively retired for 4 years with a table at my casa), plus many, many things I've gotten from this board over time, but yet plundered through "my game" like it didn't really fit. Damn but us humans are a stubborn species...sid~~~thinks keeping an open mind maybe makes sense

woody_968
12-14-2003, 05:44 PM
IMHO what you are talking about here is one of the hardest things to practice, but one of the most important. I have been working on my game and stroke lately, and trying to get away from thinking about stroke mechanics while I play is something I am really struggling with.

Keith Talent
12-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Sid,

I believe I do this pretty much all the time ... and it may have something to do with why I'm out of line more often than if I was just flipping a coin for right or wrong side. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I may be one of those people who actually needs to think MORE. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif