PDA

View Full Version : More advice please!

aaatkr
12-14-2003, 07:19 PM
I've narrowed my choice down to Joss, Schon, Balabushka or Jacoby. I'd like to keep the cost under $600 so I can buy a case etc... Should I order an extra shaft or isn't that necessary?
Any opinions or suggestions on any or all of these. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Sid_Vicious
12-14-2003, 07:59 PM
If you are not getting an authentic custom cue, then save the money on a second shaft. Limited and production cues don't hold enough resale value to make it worth it, and to be honest, I've never had an emergengy where I needed the second shaft. People say you need it because, "What if you pop off a tip?" Well I'd find a new tip guy, fast...sid

NH_Steve
12-14-2003, 08:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> If you are not getting an authentic custom cue, then save the money on a second shaft. Limited and production cues don't hold enough resale value to make it worth it, and to be honest, <font color="red">I've never had an emergengy where I needed the second shaft.</font color> People say you need it because, "What if you pop off a tip?" Well I'd find a new tip guy, fast...sid <hr /></blockquote> Well clearly, if that's never happened to you, you're just not playing enough pool!

Now, I'm not one of those players that swap shafts two or three times a session, but every few months or so I might swap shafts until I could get a tip replaced.

Once, I was traveling on business but got an evening off and found a local pool room where I matched up for some friendly maybe $20/game One Pocket with the owner of the room. I had to shoot with a house cue since I had not brought my stick that trip. After a few hours I was down a handful of games, when after about my third miscue of the session, the owner offered to lend me a spare stick, which he proceeded to go get from his office. The loaner stick had a much better tip (plus other qualities, too, I'm sure), and I proceeded to even up the session! Geez, wouldn't you hate to have to resort to a dang house cue in the middle of a match just because you had no spare shaft??? I'd go for the extra shaft sooner rather than later, and sacrifice a little unnecessary flash in the inlays/design instead...

cueball1950
12-14-2003, 10:47 PM
a friend of mine has a new Joss still in the shipping plastic wrap. he won it at a Joss tour event. Joss claims that it is worth $1200.00. it has 4 floating points with a matching design on the end of the butt. the weight is about 19.5 ounces with 1 shaft. I believe it also comes with joint protectors. He is only asking about $550.00 for it. let me know if you are interested and i will try to email a picture to you......................mike

buddha162
12-15-2003, 06:52 AM
Get a basic Joss, for under 300.

Roger

bluewolf
12-15-2003, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I've never had an emergengy where I needed the second shaft. People say you need it because, "What if you pop off a tip?" Well I'd find a new tip guy, fast...sid <hr /></blockquote>

The only reason I have not popped off a tip is because my break is not yet good enough to crunch the rack and because I have not played long enough to have that happen. I always carried a spare cue though that I was comfortable with. Now with the scruggs, I have an extra shaft so just take that one cue wherever I play. Poop happens. IMO, it is better safe than sorry.

JMO, before buying a production cue, I would check with blackheart to see if he has something. Blackheart has a nice mid weight and they are very popular. Sometimes custom cue guys like him have people reneg which leaves a cue that has to be sold.

Laura

randyg
12-15-2003, 08:33 AM
NH Steve: Every year I have a pool school in Hartford Ct. I also include a week to golf in your area. Do you golf? Would love to have someone in the evenings to play a little one-hole with.....randyg

randyg
12-15-2003, 08:38 AM
Did you check out a new "Blackheart" cue? Jacoby is also one of my favorite cue makers....randyg

Kato
12-15-2003, 08:40 AM
I break plenty hard and have never popped a tip.

Kato

cycopath
12-15-2003, 10:23 AM
I've never lost a tip either, but I have dropped my cue and put a couple of major dings in the shaft. At that point I wished I had an identical shaft to replace it with until I could work the dings out later.

Btw, I wasn't imitating Tom Cruise's "cue twirl". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-15-2003, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote aaatkr:</font><hr> I've narrowed my choice down to Joss, Schon, Balabushka or Jacoby. <hr /></blockquote>I think there all good cue sticks. I'd get the one that felt best to you.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-15-2003, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr>
Btw, I wasn't imitating Tom Cruise's "cue twirl". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Glad to hear that /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I like having an extra shaft because it takes a week to get a tip replaced. And I'm not likely to go without playing for a week.

UWPoolGod
12-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Exactly...go down to the local cue seller. Ask to try out the cues...or find a place that'll let ya hit with em. Find one you like...in the type you listed...and record the model and brand. Then go shop online and find it for 20% or more cheaper. They are pretty well produced cues so you should be able to find it somewhere. At least you'll know what a similar cue hits like.

Ralph S.
12-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Sure Cycopath. It's your lie, you can tell it however you want to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NH_Steve
12-15-2003, 05:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> NH Steve: Every year I have a pool school in Hartford Ct. I also include a week to golf in your area. Do you golf? Would love to have someone in the evenings to play a little one-hole with.....randyg <hr /></blockquote>My only 'golf' is on the pool table /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif and in fact I'd be happy to bring you to a club where they have a long tradition of playing a variation of 'golf' on the pool table that the local players call 'Around the World'. And One Pocket in the evening? Count me in! Send me a personal message with the date and contact info, and I'll be there...

randyg
12-16-2003, 09:10 AM
NHSTEVE: Interesting. I have not played "golf" or around the world in years. Very interesting game. I will email you my schedule when it firms up. Looking forward to spending a few evenings with you....randyg

Sid_Vicious
12-16-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm serious as a heart attack, except for delamination of layered tips, I have never lost a tip due to having it pop off. I think that anyone who knows me personally would agree that I play a LOT of pool, but I do see you point anyway, I just happen to be lucky enough to have always had great tip installers I guess. Now that I do my own tips, I'd wager big odds that my tips won't come off,,,that's been the case for the last couple of years since I bought the Willard....sid

Scott Lee
12-16-2003, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
The only reason I have not popped off a tip is because my break is not yet good enough to crunch the rack

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Laura...That's a bunch of baloney! You break plenty hard enough to pop a tip off. It's just that WW, Randy &amp; I have taught you to break with a dead center hit on the CB. Tips pop off most frequently, when you are hitting lots of top, bottom, right or left...as this puts the most stress on the glue bond. Hitting centerball on the CB spreads the shock of the hard hit out evenly over the whole tip, thereby making it LESS likely to knock your tip off.

Scott

pooltchr
12-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Good point Scott. But popping a tip off isn't the only reason to have a back-up shaft. I have had pieces of a tip break off just shooting normal speed shots. It's not a frequent problem by any means, but it can happen. And I don't want to have to change cues in the middle of a match or tournament. That's why I keep an extra shaft for my shooting cue. By the way, how many extra shafts do you carry in that big case of yours?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pelican
12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
If you wasn't gettin' so dadgum drunk ya wouldn't be dropping yer stick /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif