PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of a pre-shot routine

recoveryjones
12-15-2003, 03:36 AM
I posted earlier on the mental side of the game and I think that a pre shot routine is definitly related. Today I finished 4th and in the money in our pools Sunday nine ball (handicap) tourney (playing well) knocking out a few higher ranked players and last week I won it(lucky) for the first time EVER in over 2 1/2-3 years of Sundays. My best prior finishes were 3 2nd place finishes as I allways choked under the pressure of everyone wAtching the final on the front table. In the past two weeks I've been religiously sticking to a pre shot routine of chalking the cue, walking straight into the shot as opposed to sideways and making sure my right foot was in straight line (then turning my heel in) with the cue ball and object ball, taking 3 or four feather strokes, pausing, stroking and freezing. I even did it for the simpilest of shots, ducks that were hanging right over the pocket.Although I was still nervous I found this pre shot routine somewhat settleing and I liked the results it brings.It takes displine (till its grooved) however I believe that it is something that can take ones game to the next level. Do any of you use a disiplined pre shot routine? What do you do? Any feedback on this would be interesting and appreciated.Thanks,RJ

ras314
12-15-2003, 06:51 AM
Haven't figured out how to list a previous post, but one thread called "Pre shot routine. How would your rate it?" started by RUNaRAK, last date 11/22/03, discusses the subject.

bluewolf
12-15-2003, 06:53 AM
If my preshot routine is always the same, then I dont have to think about it when down on the shot, because it is automatic. As someone said, not thinking when down on the shot is a good thing.

BTW, I never think about my stance. I just stand so that I am lined up on the shot and the cue can swing freely with a straight stroke with a solid bridge.Scott was allways sying to me 'trust your stroke' and dont muscle the ball which requires a light grip for me. Some can do this with a firmer grip but a firm grip makes my muscles tense up. And it seems that some have a defined pause on the final backswing like Allison Fisher and some don't. Guess it is whatever works.

Laura

pooltchr
12-15-2003, 07:19 AM
You are definitely on the right track. The pre-shot routine is the key to consistant shot making. The definitive part of the term is "routine". This means it should be the same every time, over and over. When you are practicing, this should be a big part of your thought process. Make it a habit so that it happens on EVERY shot whether you think about it or not. Then when you get in a match, it will be there for you.

Think for a minute about driving a car. You get in, pull the seat belt over your shoulder, put the key in, put your foot on the break, turn the key, check the mirrors, all before you ever move the car. Do you think about these steps? No, they are ROUTINE! You do it all without thinking about it. You want that same thing to happen with your shot making.

The one thing most students tell me is they are looking for consistancy in their game. The best way to get it, is to have consistancy in your pre-shot routine.

randyg
12-15-2003, 08:41 AM
pooltchr: Of the three check-lists that you teach, would you say that the "pre-shot" is the most important?...randyg

pooltchr
12-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Absolutely, Randy! Without it, there are just too many ways to drop the ball (no pun intended) somewhere else in the process. It's true in all sports. Golfers, Divers, Baseball players, everyone has to have that routine to get started on the right track. Can you imagine a pitcher not bothering to wind up first? The pre-shot sets the stage for the entire shot.

thecardman
12-15-2003, 03:24 PM
The best piece of advice I have ever been given regarding a pre-shot routine was that if for some reason you are put off your shot by some outside occurrence or someone trying to shark you, get up from the shot completely and re-start your pre-shot routine from the start.

This may p**s a few folk off, especially the ones trying to shark you, but too bad! I once stood up from a shot 4 times in a row because of someone repeatedly trying to shark me. When he suggested that I hurry up, I told him that I would if he would shut up! He took the hint and I took the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Braditude
12-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Well, I am not sure I can use the words most important because all 3 you taught me were so critcal but there is no doubt in my mind the pre-shot is the foundation of the 3 routines.....Brad

randyg
12-16-2003, 08:57 AM
BRADITUDE: Well stated!...randyg

recoveryjones
12-16-2003, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> pooltchr: Of the three check-lists that you teach, would you say that the "pre-shot" is the most important?...randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Hi people,I've heard a few comments on this forumn regarding 3 checklists(see quote above)If the pre-shot routine is the first of the 3 checklists, what are the other two checklists.Just curious and enthusastic to learn. Thanks RJ

randyg
12-16-2003, 02:33 PM
recoveryjones: The three SSS's of pool. Each have different functions.

1. Study: Information time.

2. Stand: Alignment time. (AKA Port of arms)

3. Shoot: Cadence &amp; Focus.

We teach many checklists in school.

Visit my new website at www.poolschool.info (http://www.poolschool.info)

Thanks and Happy Holidays...randyg

pooltchr
12-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Randy,
The new web site looks good! I gotta get out there as soon as I get my 30 in. Will see ya in LV in March.

Voodoo Daddy
12-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Dan Marino's licking of his finger's before he takes the ball from center, Sergio Garcia's countless waggles before launching a drive and Sammy Sosa's touching od the plate in several locations before sending one out of the park. They are all pre-shot routines...without them who knows their success respectfully. Create your own from watching some great players, emmulation [sp] is painless or come with your own. No ones is correct or perfect, believe that!!

Voodoo~~~Has a pre-shot routine that makes you pay attention!!

tateuts
12-16-2003, 09:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> The three SSS's of pool. <hr /></blockquote>

Do you guys come with a secret de-coder ring, or do we have to buy that separately?

Chris

randyg
12-16-2003, 10:30 PM
CHRIS: Ring comes with class. The cloaking checklist is extra....randyg