PDA

View Full Version : Pool Table In Double Wide Q

Sid_Vicious
12-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Anyone have experience with putting a slate bedded pool table into a double wide mobile home? Are those manufactured homes able to hold up that much weight without breaking down or buckling?

Thanks,
Sid

Wally_in_Cincy
12-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Under the pool table could be a nifty place to hide when the tornado hits.

HTH

JimS
12-15-2003, 12:39 PM
I put some 4x4's under the family room floor which was already very well supported so why take chances. Reinforce.

SPetty
12-15-2003, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Anyone have experience with putting a slate bedded pool table into a double wide mobile home?<hr /></blockquote>I did that once. Put it up against the middle wall in the living room. No noticible problems. Then tore down that wall. Still no problems.

Scott Lee
12-15-2003, 01:38 PM
sid...Most double wides and manufactured homes construct the floor supports from 2x6's. Although that should be plenty strong enough to support most any pool table, I'd follow Jim's advice and add more.

Scott

Perk
12-15-2003, 02:18 PM
I read something somewhere that the weight is spread out enough per/sq foot that it isnt that much more than a large refrigerator.

RedHell
12-15-2003, 02:42 PM
I read somewhere that 2 factors must be considered.

Something like distributed weight and pressure weight.

Distributed weight would be the total table weight divided by the square feet of the table. This value should not be an issue as most human being will have a very high distributed weight, ie 150lbs/sqf...that would be a 6750 lbs table...

The main concern is the pressure weight. That is the weight per square inch of contact. I'm not sure what the figures are like but let's say you have a 6"X6" leg. It would be that weight divided by 36 sqInch. Now if that figure gets to high, the leg would eventually poncture the floor.

What that mean is, it's unlikely that a floor would bend, but if the materials used to build it isn't rigid enough, it could poncture.

I'm no building engineers, so maby someone could deny all this.

Candyman
12-15-2003, 04:30 PM
I put a waterbed in my home and was concerned about the weight long term. I made 4 1'Lx1'Wx6"H forms for footings to go under the house directly under the bed. I made 4 jacks from black pipe and threaded rod(They can be purchased from Home Depot). I just tightened them up snug. After several months, I retightened. Hope this helps.

Barbara
12-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Sid,

Which way do the floor joists run as opposed to how the table is going to sit? If they're parallel with each other, sistering the floor joists will give you more support. If they're perpendicular to each other, you should be fine.

In any case, call a handyman-kind of guy and find out.

The book, "Carpentry and Building Construction" by Feirer and Hutchings is excellent in giving the layman a how-to to doing things in your home/Double Wide. We were able to build an addition from the ground up by this book.

Barbara

Barbara
12-15-2003, 04:41 PM
LOL!!!

We watched "Twister" last night and i thought about hiding under my pool table.

But then again, I don't live in a Double Wide!!!

Barbara~~~jes kidding... jes kidding...

SPetty
12-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Also, I think that mobile homes are normally built with two steel beams under each half - they are built extra sturdy for transporting. You might even have less of a problem in a mobile home than you would in your normal non-slab foundation because of the extra steel support beams. Again, speaking from experience, there was no problem.

Sid_Vicious
12-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Barbara...It's not my install, and I've not seen the new trailer, just on the lookout for a deal on a table and wondered ahead of time about the weight issue. Lot's of good advice so far, thanks all...sid

Ralph S.
12-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I dont know about the larger regulation size table or 8'ers, but my buddy did have a Valley bar box in his trailer for around five years. Was the only peice of so-called furniture in his living room. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hadenball
12-16-2003, 08:32 AM
I had an 8 ' national bar table 1 inch slate in a mobile home for 6 years with no problems. That was 1988 - 1994 and quality has gone up considerably in mobile homes. We even moved the mobile home about 30 miles with the table still in it with no problems, even with particle board flooring.