PDA

View Full Version : Did everyone enjoy the smoking thread, as I did ??

Rod
12-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Not /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope everyone got their 2 wasted bits in. LOL

UWPoolGod
12-15-2003, 12:57 PM
You make it sound like it is over...I doubt it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Todd <-- still enjoying it

Wally_in_Cincy
12-15-2003, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Not /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope everyone got their 2 wasted bits in. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoy eating onions for lunch....it just keeps coming back.

I hate excessivley long threads.

Rod
12-15-2003, 01:00 PM
It's winding down, I mean you can only sling so much $hit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-15-2003, 01:09 PM
What smoking thread?

PQQLK9
12-15-2003, 01:12 PM
"Like a snow ball rolling down the side of a snow covered hill...It's Growing"
"Like the size of the fish that the man claimed broke his reel...It's Growing"

The Temptations /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cueless Joey
12-15-2003, 01:16 PM
No, but I enjoy the no-smoking ban here in Cali.
Hard Times here tried to fight it even after the ban.
Now, everybody is happy the place is smoke free.

Rod
12-15-2003, 01:27 PM
I'm sure you do Joey as well as countless other people. Cali did the right thing, it was a state wide ban. Here in AZ so far it has been one "City" at a time. That type of thinking has hurt or closed many business owners. People just went to a competitor in another town. Make it fair to everyone, no smoking state wide.

Rod

tateuts
12-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Hi Rod,

I really did think it was enlightening to read the different points of view from various regions of the country, although some of it was a little (how you say?) defensive or militant.

The redeeming feature is that there is some support among several of us (including you) who have quit smoking. I guess I feel a strong respect and empathy toward someone who smoked for a long time and was able to quit, even if they are strangers. I know what I went through and I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone else.

I agree with your point of view about the bans that they should be statewide, not city or county.

Chris

Big_Jon
12-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Ok, here is my opinion... like anyone cares...
The pool room I go to used to have a non smoking section... well the front tables were smoking and the back tables were not, well after awhile of watching a waiting list build up on the smoking side and the non smoking side half empty... that had to go... and on another note, all you beer/wine/liquor drinkers proclaiming "yay to the government for cracking down on smoking!!!"... just wait... after the gov gets through with tobacco, who do you think will be next... and do you really think the gov wants to go though prohibition again... I say let 'em, let the gov ban smoking like they did the drink in the '30s and once again the gov will create another al capone, and then will you all be happy??? Here is how it goes, if you don't want to smell smoke, start your own pool room or get your own table, the same can go for smokers too, but it won't happen... the anti smokers will not win this... it's impossible, did you know that a prominent member of congress was heavily against tobacco until someone pulled him aside and showed him how much he and the rest of the government were making off of the taxes... he is now pro-smoking... like I said... it wont happen, and if it does... you'll be sorry, after tobacco... it'll be alcohol... don't say you weren't warned...

Thanks

Jon

Candyman
12-15-2003, 05:10 PM
Quote Big Jon:
Ok, here is my opinion... like anyone cares...
The pool room I go to used to have a non smoking section... well the front tables were smoking and the back tables were not, well after awhile of watching a waiting list build up on the smoking side and the non smoking side half empty... that had to go... and on another note, all you beer/wine/liquor drinkers proclaiming "yay to the government for cracking down on smoking!!!"... just wait... after the gov gets through with tobacco, who do you think will be next... and do you really think the gov wants to go though prohibition again... I say let 'em, let the gov ban smoking like they did the drink in the '30s and once again the gov will create another al capone, and then will you all be happy??? Here is how it goes, if you don't want to smell smoke, start your own pool room or get your own table, the same can go for smokers too, but it won't happen... the anti smokers will not win this... it's impossible, did you know that a prominent member of congress was heavily against tobacco until someone pulled him aside and showed him how much he and the rest of the government were making off of the taxes... he is now pro-smoking... like I said... it wont happen, and if it does... you'll be sorry, after tobacco... it'll be alcohol... don't say you weren't warned...

Thanks

Jon
----------------------------------------------------------
I have been telling people this for years. Although I have never smoked I believe a business owner should be able to run it any way he wants. The government put RJ Reynolds out of the racing business and that is just the beginning. They are putting guidelines on what goes on grocery goods, menu's, etc. The fat police are everywhere!!! Yes, alcohol is on their agenda. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

JimS
12-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Ya just couldn't leave it alone.

Big_Jon
12-15-2003, 07:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>

I have been telling people this for years. Although I have never smoked I believe a business owner should be able to run it any way he wants. The government put RJ Reynolds out of the racing business and that is just the beginning. They are putting guidelines on what goes on grocery goods, menu's, etc. The fat police are everywhere!!! Yes, alcohol is on their agenda. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well first off, it's good to know that somebody here is on the right side /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif and if you don't mind, I値l correct you on one thing, the gov didn't put RJR out of racing, they just said a few years back that a tobacco company could only sponsor one thing, and they dropped everything (including tennis etc.) and kept nascar, and this recent dropping of nascar was RJR's decision, they didn't want to keep pumping around $50,000,000 a year into nascar... Greedy bastards...

Qtec
12-15-2003, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, everybody is happy the place is smoke free <hr /></blockquote>

So if YOU are happy, EVERYBODY is happy? LOL

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ralph S.
12-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Here we gow again!
Ralph S.&gt;has the feeling another 3 page thread is well on its way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cueless Joey
12-16-2003, 01:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Now, everybody is happy the place is smoke free <hr /></blockquote>

So if YOU are happy, EVERYBODY is happy? LOL

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>
The business hasn't gone down b/c of the no-smoking law.
Also, KIDS are allowed in there since they don't serve booze. I used to cringe when these couple used to bring their toddler there. Talk about child abuse.
Let's ask Scott Lee about the no-smoking law here.

Rich R.
12-16-2003, 05:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> the anti smokers will not win this. <hr /></blockquote>
You are only kidding yourself. Look around you. Everyday, there are more places that do not allow smoking. The government is passing laws against smoking. This is all happening because the majority has shifted from the smokers to the non-smokers. Eventually, you will not be able to smoke in any public place. Get used to it, it is coming whether you like it or not.
As the saying goes, "Smokers are a dieing bread."

eg8r
12-16-2003, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The business hasn't gone down b/c of the no-smoking law.
<hr /></blockquote> This is because there is no where else to go. This is not so all around the rest of the country.

eg8r

Big_Jon
12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
You are only kidding yourself. Look around you. Everyday, there are more places that do not allow smoking. The government is passing laws against smoking. This is all happening because the majority has shifted from the smokers to the non-smokers. Eventually, you will not be able to smoke in any public place. Get used to it, it is coming whether you like it or not.
As the saying goes, "Smokers are a dieing bread." <hr /></blockquote>

Ok, here is how it should go, if I opened a pool room, and somebody told me that even though I invested a million dollars into it, I didn't have a choice whether or not my clients could smoke??? FU(K you buddy, I値l just make it a private room, members only... then it's not a public place, and you are wrong on the point of the majority shifting part... it's shifting from non-smokers to anti-smokers, it's just like the "war on drugs"... the people behind the war on drugs are the biggest drug dealers in the world, if only you people knew how much money was being made on this anti-smoking thing, do you think the money RJR and PMUSA have had to shell out went to health care??? hell no. RJR used to employ around 16,000 people... now they have 2,600... that's a lot of people out of a job. And to Vicki... P-L-E-A-S-E... if you don't like a little smoke at the pool room, buy a table and invite your friends over, hire a bartender and have a ball, leave us alone... and I don't want smoking in doctor's offices and rest homes... that's just stupid, did you know that there is still one building in NY that allows smoking... I値l let you guess which one it is, you say you have rights as a non(anti)-smoker, well I have rights as a smoker and I should have the right to go to a public place and smoke, restaurants have a smoking section and a non-smoking section for a reason. If you don't like the smoke, go somewhere else...

Vicki
12-16-2003, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> And to Vicki... P-L-E-A-S-E... if you don't like a little smoke at the pool room, buy a table and invite your friends over, hire a bartender and have a ball, leave us alone... and I don't want smoking in doctor's offices and rest homes... that's just stupid, did you know that there is still one building in NY that allows smoking... I値l let you guess which one it is, you say you have rights as a non(anti)-smoker, well I have rights as a smoker and I should have the right to go to a public place and smoke, restaurants have a smoking section and a non-smoking section for a reason. If you don't like the smoke, go somewhere else...
<hr /></blockquote>

Smoking is NOT a right. Not smoking is also not a right. It's a choice.

You are in the minority now... get used to it or quit smoking and join the majority. There is NO WAY smoking will ever be allowed in public places again. The vast majority of citizens do NOT smoke, don't want to be exposed and don't want their children exposed.

Like Rich said, you are a dying breed.

Sorry, but your argument about Al Capone and prohabition is ridiculous. It doesn't make sense. The smoking ban in restaurants and bars is not even remotely the same as the prohabition that completely banned booze. You can't compare them.

You said that us "anti-smokers" will never get our way. That it will never happen. Well it has happened and it will not change. Get over it.

vicki

Cueless Joey
12-16-2003, 11:46 AM
I agree.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Will smoking be allowed in airplanes again?
What ALL smokers should do is sue the maker of their smokes. They made them addicts. My father quit smoking after 3 decades of smoking. My mother still smokes and cannot quit. She's quit several times briefly.
Smokers have the right to smoke but they don't have the right to stink up non-smokers and also endanger them.
Oh yeah, our receptionist who retired last year died last month. Guess why and how.

PQQLK9
12-16-2003, 11:52 AM
Tap...Tap...Tap

tateuts
12-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Big Jon,

That, believe it or not, was not the most ignorant post I've seen on these boards. But it was close.

Chris

JimS
12-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Oh yeah!!! Ya think it wasn't #1??!! Well name one ignoranter...go on...I dare ya /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
12-16-2003, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Oh yeah!!! Ya think it wasn't #1??!! Well name one ignoranter...go on...I dare ya /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well, when Fast Larry was pretending to be a bikini clad girl when he copied one of my own threads and posted it under his own name... then there was that Spanky guy with his 7' table asking for us to send him money and calling us mean for finding him a dolt, then there was my own "Is Corey Gay?" thread which was perhaps the dumbest of them all...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
12-16-2003, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> I値l just make it a private room, members only... then it's not a public place <hr /></blockquote>
Please, start up your private club. I am sure it will be very successful. Just don't tell us that we have to put up with your smoke, because it is your right to smoke. It is our right to breathe.

If smokers got the hint, years ago, and didn't have attitudes, such as yours, we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. Bans would not be necessary. JMHO.

I am an ex-smoker, not a fanatic about it, but I usually stay out of these discussions. It is your attitude that drew me in. I am tired of hearing that it is someones right to smoke. It is only your right to smoke, as long as it does not affect others. Please feel free to go into the closet of your choice and smoke as long as you want.

eg8r
12-16-2003, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am an ex-smoker, not a fanatic about it, but I usually stay out of these discussions. It is your attitude that drew me in. I am tired of hearing that it is someones right to smoke. It is only your right to smoke, as long as it does not affect others. <hr /></blockquote> I think the use of "rights" is entirely overused...with that...If you feel you have the "right" to breath clean air while playing pool in a public pool hall, don't you think a smoker has the equal right to breath smoky air in a public pool hall?

It goes both ways and that is why the discussions happen the way they do. I like to get involved because I feel our "rights" are more important than government intervention. I don't think it will be long before the government has removed smoking from public places across the US, but then what is next. I firmly believe that the same people pushing for no smoking will move on, they will not be satisfied with what has already been done. How long till no more alcohol in public? Suits me fine, I don't drink either, but is it right?

eg8r

pooltchr
12-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Maybe the next ban will be on cell phones in public places. One's right to talk on the darn thing as opposed to another's right to a little quiet when getting down on a shot. Don't laugh...it's the same principle! Rights are rights. I will fight to the end not to lose any rights, whether or not I personally agree with it or not.

Big_Jon
12-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Well... now I remember why I don't post on this board... it's a lynch mob, a place where if your opinion differs from the masses, you are not wrong, no, you are stupid. When will you people (anti-smokers) get a life, and quit worrying about it, you will never be satisfied with anything. Oh and btw, non-smokers are notorious for being bad tippers /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, and the one building in NYC that still allows smoking... The UN Headquarters...
This is my last post on this thread/subject unless somebody says something really, really... really stupid... and I can't wait...

Thanks

Jon

Qtec
12-16-2003, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well... now I remember why I don't post on this board... it's a lynch mob, a place where if your opinion differs from the masses, you are not wrong, no, you are stupid <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Very perceptive of you Big Jon. LOL

The 'pack' can be frenzied but they mean well!

Imagine this; a young soldier comes back from Iraq after being wounded.His family, overjoyed that he is home safe and in one piece after fighting for FREEDOM in a far off land,head for the nearest PH to celebrate.
Scene PH,
Dad- "A toast to our hero,Sgt Jack".
Bartender- "Hey you. You with the Purple Heart medal. Put that cigar out. How old are you anyway?"

Sgt Jack- "I,m 20".

Bartender- "Give me back that beer, youre too young and therefor too iresponsible to be allowed to drink alchohol."

Go figure.
You can have a house, a wife, kids, drive a car,buy a gun, die for your country but you cant have a beer.

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif