PDA

View Full Version : What is your experience with straightening shafts?

stickman
12-16-2003, 10:47 AM
I just recently had my first experience with straightening a shaft. It came out great in my estimation. The person wanted me to attempt it, and I told them I wouldn't gaurantee the shaft over time. The cue was used, and there was no way to know when and how the shaft became crooked. I have know idea if the shaft was mishandled, poorly stored, or maybe just poor wood.

What is your experiences? What are the chances that it will stay straight?

pooltchr
12-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Stick,
I've had both extremes. Some turn out pretty good, while some seem to continue to be problems. I always tell them there are no guarantees. It seems like the more flexible shafts tend to be the more difficult ones. More often than not, I can get them back close to original condition, but I don't know how long they are going to stay that way. If it was my own shaft, I would probably replace it, but I always try to give the customers what they want.

Mikey
12-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Please tell me how you straighten a warped shaft---Mikey

tateuts
12-16-2003, 02:42 PM
What technique did you use?

Chris

stickman
12-16-2003, 05:55 PM
I completely cleaned the shaft of any buildup, chalk, wax, etc. I steamed the area of the shaft and weighted the appropriate area. It's not a exact science. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tateuts
12-16-2003, 06:50 PM
I can get most of them reasonably straight but not dead straight. Sometimes they pop back like that and sometimes they don't - but you'll know in a day or so.

Chris

pooltchr
12-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Once it's straight, if you use a wood sealer, let it set up and fill the pours of the wood, then lightly sand it, they seem to hold the shape better.

stickman
12-17-2003, 09:39 AM
My first attempt was with a completely dry shaft with little or no results. After steaming the shaft, the second attempt actually over corrected slightly. My last effort made one last adjustment and Walla!

After getting it as I wanted, I did one more very light sanding, I buffed, and finished with a coat of carnuba wax. What type of sealer did you use?

pooltchr
12-17-2003, 10:26 AM
I don't remember the brand, but I got it at a place called woodcraft here in town. It's a sanding sealer. About $15 a bottle, but it also does a great job burnishing the sides of tips. A bottle of the stuff would last for years if it has any kind of shelf life.

tateuts
12-17-2003, 12:12 PM
I always laugh when someone is selling a warped cue and they say "but it doesn't affect the play". It doesn't if you can't make a ball anyway, that's for sure.

Well, I guess it could be true. If a shaft is properly warped, you can put a little red mark on it. Then just "dial it" for the hit you seek, without moving your bridge hand. Right english would be three 'oclock, left nine o'clock, draw is 6:00 and follow is 12:00. For center ball, it's 12:00 plus 1" up with the butt? Not that any good player uses center anyway, it's way too simple.

To straighten the shaft, first what I do is hit a draw shot and miscue, usually jumping the cue ball off the table. Then I grab the cue by the shaft, unscrew it, and throw it through the nearest window (preferably open). I call the factory and order a new one.

Chris