PDA

View Full Version : Left English Problem

moblsv
12-16-2003, 11:46 AM
I finally got my new table and have been working on drills. One thing that is bugging me is my lack of consistency using left english (I am right handed). I tried a simple drill of setting up an object ball a few balls out from one side pocket and the cue a few balls out from the other side pocket. When I use right english and try to place the ball in various spots around the table I am fairly consistent but when I try the same with left english I have problems and even miscue alot. Any suggestions? I'm sure it has to do with an offline stroke but I can't seem to fix it.

Scott Lee
12-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Try to set up a video camera and record yourself shooting these shots. You need to have two views...looking straight on at you, and looking at you from directly behind. This will show you how your stroke is, and whether you're twisting your wrist, dropping your elbow, or who knows what.
Check your PM's!

Scott Lee

woody
12-16-2003, 05:49 PM
Scott, the problem may not be left hand english. Maybe we should ask if it was inside or outside englis?

Tom_In_Cincy
12-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Try using just a little bit of left and increase the distance from center until you build up your confidence.

Left english is probably the least used of all the different choices. I still practice left english more than anything else.

Billy
12-17-2003, 01:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody:</font><hr> Scott, the problem may not be left hand english. Maybe we should ask if it was inside or outside englis? <hr /></blockquote>

think you have it correct

usually inside english is the nemesis

imo

moblsv
12-17-2003, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody:</font><hr> Scott, the problem may not be left hand english. Maybe we should ask if it was inside or outside englis? <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I would need a glossary of pool terms to answer that. I would think of left/right english as refering to which side of the cue ball you hit and inside/outside as refering to the resulting spin being into or away from the angle on the object ball. Am I way off here?

What I am working on here is hitting the left hand side of the cue ball as a right handed player.

Scott, I have been planning on buying a video camera for wakeboarding anyway. Now I can use pool as another excuse to get it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody
12-17-2003, 10:50 AM
What you described is left english. The shot you take determines if it is inside out outside english. These are two totally different animals. The affect on the OB is different and may be the real reason you are missing.