PDA

View Full Version : Why do we go downhill

Pelican
12-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Any psycologist among us? Why will a person be playing their "good" game and all of a sudden go down the toilet the next rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thoughts?

PQQLK9
12-16-2003, 01:52 PM
IMHO ... probably because we stop doing the things we were doing when we were doing them right.
been there done that.

recoveryjones
12-16-2003, 03:45 PM
Thats a good question.Last night I was playing an A+ nine ball player, a guy considered to be our best inhouse player (My rating b+) for a burger combo and table time.I had been playing for three hours already when he challenged me on my favourite table which he dislikes as it plays fast.I was on my A-game and crushed him 9-2. After eating my free burger (and thouroughly enjoying each bite) we came back to the pool hall and stepped up to his favourite table for a race to nine rematch.My A-game mode continued as I jumped out to 7-4 lead.It seemed the better I shot the more he struggled and wasn't shooting his normally strong game. Then it happend. I DOGGED AN EASY 7 BALL. After that my game went down hill, he found confidence and rattled off 5 straight wins for a 9-7 win and a somewhat dissapointing stalemate on the night.This guy is a measuring stick for my progress and I really wanted that second match as I had earlier been playing great.I played pool for 6 hrs that day and not to make excuses I think I was starting to get tired near the end of that second match.The pros have that mental toughness to keep focus for extended peroids of time and we mere mortals don't seem to have that mental stamina.It's called consistency and you and I being inconsistent is normal for non-professionals.Next time when I get into a situation leading 7-4 in a race to nine I will dig deeper and focus really hard on every shot including the DUCK sitting right over the pocket.I WILL TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED!!! Momentum is huge in pool and one must go for the jugular when it comes to closing out matches.Being consistent is all about about preperation, dedication and mental toughness.
A simuliar thing happend to me in our tournament last Sunday. I had just knocked off two higher ranked players in real tough matches where I was playing great. My next opponent was someone I had never lost to. I miss a modratley easy ball in hand one-nine combo and end up losing the match. I put so much focus into beating the tougher players and not taking the match with him seriously.Our tourney takes roughly 6 hrs to win and is an endurance contest for the eventual winner.I kept shooting between matches instead of resting. To summarize things for me : Don't tire yourself out and take every opponent and every shot seriously no matter how easy.Even play serious in casual games(I'm trying to) because that mental displine will allways be there and you won't have to turn it on when you need it.Best of luck, RJ

marek
12-17-2003, 04:37 AM
Very good answer indeed! From my experience a fatigue is the main reason for eventual concentration loss.IMHO pool player should really work on his/her leg and back endurance to survive a marathon playing session without any harm. Also prolonged pause on the back of your final stroke and your eyes peeled on the object ball make wonders to your concentration.

woody_968
12-17-2003, 11:11 AM
RJ, you just described something that is very common IMO. May not be exactly what you did mentally but here is my take on what many people do.

They will play for an extended period of time, playing very well. Miss one ball that they know they should have made and "poof" the magic is gone. It just amazes me how instead of thinking about the 4 hours (or how ever long it is) of good pool playing they have done, they will concentrate on the ONE shot they just missed. As we all know much of pool is confidence, so one of the things I think is most improtant to upper level play is a selective memory. You can choose how you think, and must choose to think about the shots you make, not the ones you miss.

Cueless Joey
12-17-2003, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Any psycologist among us? Why will a person be playing their "good" game and all of a sudden go down the toilet the next rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thoughts? <hr /></blockquote>
Bloo sugar level!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Well, since I'm hypo-glycemic, I can attest to that.

Pelican
12-17-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm hypo-glycemic also. Wonder if that could have something to do with it.

Ralph S.
12-17-2003, 12:21 PM
I know exactly what you are saying there Cueless Joey. Do you start getting the shakes or light headedness at all? I know I will after extended periods of time. That is why I will usually stop and eat a small meal or snack. I have actually blacked out and fell down two flights of stairs when my blood sugar level got very low.

Ever since that happened I have paid much closer attentiom to it. Hypoglycemia or any form of diabetes is very important to look after. If any of you have ever felt light headed or really weak after say 6-8 hours, get checked out. This is a major indicator you could be a target for this or a similar problem.

BTW, when I took that fall, my BSL was 24. Anything under 30 can possibly send someone into a diabetic coma.

Chris Cass
12-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Hi woody,

You have a good point there. I've noticed that this kind of thing happens to B catagory players often. Not so much in C players. I'm thinking the C player misses shots alittle more often and accepts it better. The B will be devistated and doesn't let go of the damm shot in their head. The A and above people know you cannot dwell on a shot missed but to quickly move into the present tense.

There is a thing about putting someone in dead stroke too. This too can be done for yourself when playing and often does. Say your opponent misses an easy shot or gets angry over something stupid. Well, one can use this as a positive and get in gear. I constantly look for positives when I'm playing someone. A lot depends too on how your opponent handles a shot miss. There's nothing more scary than a pool player with confidence. It could have been the food too. The blood from the brain goes to the stomach to digest leaving a lower amount in the brain. Something to do with oxygen. Anyway, he might have gotten lazy and taken his opponent lightly because past wins? Who know's? This is my humble opinion.

Regards,

C.C.

Pelican
12-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Curious. I am not familar with the A, B, C class player mentioned. Is this similar to the Skill Level designation used in APA?

cycopath
12-18-2003, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Curious. I am not familar with the A, B, C class player mentioned. Is this similar to the Skill Level designation used in APA? <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy posted these stats a while back. I thought they sounded pretty good.

APA skill level

2 = D- player

3 = D

4 = D+ to C-

5 = C

6 = C+ to B-

7 = B to B+ and above

Pelican
12-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Looking at it that way, I see I am doing no better in APA than I did in high school /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

recoveryjones
12-18-2003, 07:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Curious. I am not familar with the A, B, C class player mentioned. Is this similar to the Skill Level designation used in APA?

Here in Vancouver Canada we rate our nine ball players in the following catergories for our handicap Tournaments.
Here's our rankings in descending order:
Pro-plus,Pro, A+, A, B+, B, C+, C, D+, D etc.
Our local pros like JOhn Horsfall and Paul Potier are consider Pro-plus as would players like Archer,Reyes and Bustamante be.Apro-plus would have to give a pro the last two and an A+ the wild eight and an A a wild 8 and the last two etc.etc.all the way down to giving a D player the wild 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 and the last two. I've never seen anyone enter our tourneys lower than a C.
B+ players like myself can break and run racks occasionally however we suffer from Inconsistency and could in a lot of cases have a stronger safety game. When I'm hot I can beat A and A+ players ( without a spot)however the majority of matches they will come out on top.The rankings are cool and gives a player a goal to strive for. RJ