PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Driving & Joey First

Kato
12-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Last night a friend and co-workers son was struck and critically injured by a drunk driver.

I've known this kid since he was 6. I coached him in Little League and he's a good kid. 16 years old now lying in a hospital bed in very critical condition.

Today I'm changing the way I feel about drinking and especially getting behind the wheel. If I didn't then I'd be a hypocrite and no better than the guy that hit Joey. Today I vow to change and I hope anyone who has made or makes the same mistakes I make or made would change as well.

So everyone out there please say a prayer for Joey, his father Todd, mother Pam, and brother Mike. This is a good family that doesn't deserve this.

Kato

Chris Cass
12-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Hi RJ,

I'm sorry and definitely will pray for this young boy and his family. I'm glad you feel the way you do. I know how you are with children and friends and they couldn't have a better one in you. I know first hand I found this to be true, in you. It's a shame that we have to live through something so devistating to realize what we need to do. They're many people here that have been through some rough stuff and survived. They've all learned compassion the hard way.

Best regards to Joey' family and please let them know they're not alone.

C.C.

stickman
12-17-2003, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> So everyone out there please say a prayer for Joey, his father Todd, mother Pam, and brother Mike. This is a good family that doesn't deserve this.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif My prayers are with them.

Kato
12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Just so you know, Joey was standing by his car in his friends driveway, he'd been there for less than one minute. He's lost a kidney, his stomach, most of his intestines, and they're trying to save his leg right now. He's gone through 30 pints of blood.

By the way, our friendly drunk was released this morning on $70,000 bail. It was his second DUI.

Kato

Rich R.
12-17-2003, 01:02 PM
I wish Joey the best.

Cueless Joey
12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Joey has my prayers.

Barbara
12-17-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm there with you Kato. I pray for the best for Joey and his family during this Holiday Season.

Drunk drivers suck! I know one guy that has 3 DUIs. I won't talk to him, I have no respect for him whatsoever. But what really incensed me was to see him get into his car to leave work one night. How can he still be driving?? And how the heck can he still hold a Gov't Secret Security clearance???

Barbara

UWPoolGod
12-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Yeah a guy I know from high school who I hadn't seen since was at the local bar. He was there with another friend of mine that I see occasionally. They were out fishing all day and the first guy drank a whole fifth of JD during the day then went to the bar and kept drinking beers. Eventually after some wisecracks he wanted to go outside and fight. I jokingly said okay and followed him out the door. He did want to fight and took a swing. He was in full blackout stage at that point and when i saw him three months later he apologized. Finny thing is..that night he decided to drive from the sticks to the city where he lived and got pulled over and a DUI. He pulled all the way onto the curb when he pulled over. Jackass.

The other friend I was talking about recently got 2 DUI's, one a month before the 2nd. On the 2nd he was involved in a single car accident with a telephone pole. Officer issued him a DUI when he arrived. Jackass #2.

Rod
12-17-2003, 06:07 PM
That is very sad news, my prayers to Joey and his family.

Rod

Keith Talent
12-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Kato, that's awful. Best of luck to Joey.

Sounds like you're reflecting on your own good fortune in the drinking-and-driving game, as could I. For the last 15 years or so, I've made it a practice never to move into a place that doesn't have a couple of bars within walking distance ... so if I feel the need to close down the joint, I'm not going to do anybody, and hopefully not myself, any harm.

You just can't play with this stuff, no way you can turn back time if you mess up with 2 tons of metal in your hands. Hope he pulls through OK.

Kato
12-18-2003, 09:06 AM
This morning they are taking Joey's leg. I'm going to the hospital at lunch today. I'm very scared for him right now.

Kato

Kato
12-19-2003, 07:12 AM
If anybody is follow this thread he made it through the night. He's got another long day of surguries ahead. Yesterday his lower left leg was amputated and he was put on dyalisis. When I saw him his body was swollen 3 times his normal size.

I went to the hospital yesterday and saw what I never want to remember but a picture of him in ICU is burned into my memory. To think he made it through the night is a testament to his doctors and nurses and this kids will to live.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
12-19-2003, 07:20 AM
that sucks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I pray that he pulls through.

JimS
12-19-2003, 07:47 AM
The driver will likely get a third DUI while driving on his revoked license. Doubtful he'll do more than a couple weeks jail time.

We just don't think of alcohol as a drug in this country. TV has sold as a bill of goods on alcohol and we think of beer just about the same way we think of having a cup of coffee or a Pepsi, or a glass of tea/lemonaide etc.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-19-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>We just don't think of alcohol as a drug in this country. TV has sold as a bill of goods on alcohol

<font color="blue">Jim, beer has been around a lot longer than TV /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

and we think of beer just about the same way we think of having a cup of coffee or a Pepsi, or a glass of tea/lemonaide etc.

<font color="blue">Beer is not inherently evil. It's when people drink to excess that's the problem. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

=k=
12-23-2003, 11:31 AM
kato i pray for your young friend!! our real problem is the justice system.. i think the lawyer that got him off and the judge that set them free should all serve time..

JimS
12-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Hi Wally

I can't figure out what your point is when you say that beer has been around a lot longer than Tv. The current generation has been duped by TV commericals into the belief that beer is just another social beverage much like Pepsi, coffee, ice tea, lemonaide etc. Nobody tells them, at least not with the force or frequency of commericals, that beer is a drug, an addicting drug, that it gradually deadens the brain so if you are going to need your brain later then now might be a bad time to use that particular drug.

Then you point out that beer is not inheriently evil. I never said it's evil. I said it's a drug and we don't think of it that way. Even just a couple can deaden/sedate the brain enough to cause the kind of accident that Kato has described. Using it to excess is not in question. Using this drug at all prior to doing something where the brain will be needed is the point and it's a point that is not being made. We all hear that we're not supposed to drink and drive and nobody really explains why.

That's been my vocation and avocation for 22 plus years. If you argue with me about this one it's because you don't know what the hell you are talking about or it's because you use this drug, you REALLY like what it does for you and consequently minimize it's negative effects so you can continue to use without prejudice or interference from your own common sense.

Ralph S.
12-23-2003, 12:20 PM
If there is any justice in this world at all, the guy that did this will get more than just a F***ING DUI. He should get a dose of punisment Old Testament Holy Bible style! Instead of an eye for an eye, in this case it should be a leg for a leg. Plus equal pain and suffering.

I am truly sorry to hear of your young friend's situation Kato. I will be putting in prayers for Joey and his family.

Kato
12-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Well Ralph, here's the latest on Joey. He was in surgery all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. He's alive, he hears you when you talk, and he's responding by squeezing his family members hands. The doctors actually think he's going to wake up in the next couple of days. It's been 5 days now and he's definitely going to live through this. What kind of shape he'll be in when it's said and done nobody knows.

I can tell you this, he's a tough kid for sure.

As far as the guy that did this to him. I don't know how he can live with himself. He's slime. Not for drinking and driving but for laughing and carrying on when they were arresting him. This is a person with no compassion. Old Testament retribution would be too good for this guy.

Kato

Chris Cass
12-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Hi Kato,

Sad to say I seen 4 guys leave the bar at the pool hall the other night and all under the influence bigtime. I'm talking barely able to walk to their vehicles. I thought of Joey then too. I went to tell the owner who was telling one guy not to drive home and leave his keys with him. The problem was that I saw is the same person giving the advice was also feeling no pain and he was driving home too. Too many people think well, I've been worse and I'm ok tonight to go just a couple blocks. That's total deniel(sp?). I don't care how $hit faced someone gets as long as they don't drive or put someone else that's innocent into danger.

Jim is critical for sure but he's been down that road himself and has changed many peoples lives to protect others for quite a long time. He's pretty stern with this stuff and somebody will hate him for it but it's worth it if he changes one persons thoughts. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~praying for Joey and others that are just trying to live another day.

bluewolf
12-24-2003, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Hi Wally

I can't figure out what your point is when you say that beer has been around a lot longer than Tv. The current generation has been duped by TV commericals into the belief that beer is just another social beverage much like Pepsi, coffee, ice tea, lemonaide etc. ...We all hear that we're not supposed to drink and drive and nobody really explains why.

That's been my vocation and avocation for 22 plus years. If you argue with me about this one it's because you don't know what the hell you are talking about or it's because you use this drug, you REALLY like what it does for you and consequently minimize it's negative effects so you can continue to use without prejudice or interference from your own common sense. <hr /></blockquote>

Tomorrow on christmas day, marks the day I walked into AA for the first time, 13 years ago. Life has been so much nicer without drugs. They steal your life, wreck your relationships, harm other and your body.

The brain is the only organ in the body that does not regenerate new cells. Each drunken binder results in killing 10,ooo. Have seen those who drunk for so many years, they had irreperable brain damage.

And like others, john from mn, david dsapolis, I too am paying the price for my earlier partying years. With a hepatitus that is constantly relicating itself, who knows how much time one has. And I certainly did not think of these things when I was young and in that 'party' mode.

Laura