PDA

View Full Version : Do you care if your cue's inlay/points were CNC'd?

Cueless Joey
12-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Do you prefer milled points like Blackheart/Harris cues have?
Do you care if the inlays were cnc'd?
I have a theory that handmade ( hand operated machine included) cues hold their value better because it requires more skill to make these kind of cues.
Besides, how many Joe Gold wannabe cues are out there already? Most of the cnc'd cues look like they are trying to copy Joe's design.

BLACKHEART
12-18-2003, 12:13 AM
At one time owned 40 collector Qs. At that time I didn't care HOW the Qs were made,but only how valuable they were. I eventually sold all of those, over time & made money on all,but the thing I'll always remember about these Qs was that some were rememberable, because of how they played. That was important then & it's important now. The only thing that should be in the Q makers head when he makes a Q is "HOW DOES IT PLAY", the money will come if it's good...JER

Jimmy B
12-18-2003, 03:56 AM
To me sharp points and inlays are very important, it's a sign that the person who made the cue took the extra time to do thinks the right way. It involves much more hand work to cut things sharp, it doesn't matter if the points are short splice or CNCed they can still both be sharp. As far as inlays go the CNC cutter will only cut them rounded so for the cuemaker to go back in and hand cut these pockets to make the sharp takes more time and effort and shows that they take a bit more pride in their work. Some designs lend themselves to rounded inlays, but points and diamonds and spears should all be sharp just by definition. Ovals and circles are great round. JB

Scott Lee
12-18-2003, 04:47 AM
...tap, tap, tap!

NH_Steve
12-18-2003, 06:23 AM
I've tried many cues over the years, and they all seem to have deficiencies that cause me to miss shots and miss position, too, despite the fact that I know I've visualized the shots to perfection -- that's how I know it must be the fault of the cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Often, a new cue will seem to be just perfect when I first try it -- every shot falls, with perfect position, and I just have to have it -- but inevitably after I spend the big bucks to buy the stick, sure enough, next time I go out and shoot with it, the damn thing fails me again and I have to go shopping yet again, in search of the perfect wand to cure my pool shooting woes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, I shoot with an older Shon that has fine hand inlay details, and although it certainly doesn't make me shoot better, the pleasing design and overall sound quality of both the look and feel of the cue is very reassuring...and comforting...even when I miss /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimS
12-18-2003, 06:30 AM
Boy have you got it right Jer!!!! On the button!!!!!!! Playing quality first, then looks. Priorities in order. (still bummed out that I missed getting that Blackheart on eBay! I mis-read the ending time and posted my last second bid 40 seconds earlier than I meant to...got beat out because of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

rukiddingme
12-18-2003, 06:51 AM
no CNC cues in my collection.
ruk

#### leonard
12-18-2003, 07:45 AM
I have posted this before I never hit a Balabushka that didn't have a clunk hit. It would usually take three or four shots before the dread clunk. Then three or four and the dread clunk.

I was at the Baltimore cue show and a fellow had paid $4200 for one and was trying to get it authenticated. No one could give him the okay, I told him let me hit some, I will tell you if it's an original. I hit four balls and the dread clunk was there, I told him you can copy his work but the clunk is original.

I could have bought any number of Balabushka's but they all had the clunk. I had Palmer Cues make me a Balabushka look alike [plain and simple]and never got the clunk. Pete supplied George with his butts etc so it was no problem to duplicate. He used his screw so it wouldn't pass for Georges work.####

#### leonard
12-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Steve I know that feeling, the first time I played with my new Paradise, I ran 186 balls and three years later I gave it to my day man when my new Palmer arrived. Today the blue book has that model listed in the $2500 range.

I did beat the "Babe" Art Cranfield in Hudson, NY playing with a $5 house cue. That totally amazed him, that he could be beaten with a house cue. He ran 74 -70 and I ran 84-66, in his defense he ran 115 and out on me in the afternoon match.####

tateuts
12-18-2003, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> The only thing that should be in the Q makers head when he makes a Q is "HOW DOES IT PLAY", the money will come if it's good...JER <hr /></blockquote>

I really don't agree with that. I think appearance and creative artistry is equally important in a custom.

Chris

Scott Lee
12-18-2003, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> The only thing that should be in the Q makers head when he makes a Q is "HOW DOES IT PLAY", the money will come if it's good...JER <hr /></blockquote>

I really don't agree with that. I think appearance and creative artistry is equally important in a custom.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...I agree with you. However, imo, the debate over hand cut sharp points, vs. CNC is overblown. I've seen beautiful, creatively designed cues both ways! No matter what, the cue STILL has to play well to appeal to me! jmo

Scott

pooltchr
12-18-2003, 01:39 PM
I think I would rather have an ugly cue that played well rather than a beautiful piece of junk. That being said, I look for both...but the hit MUST be there, looks become secondary.

charlieb
12-19-2003, 01:06 AM
Hit is always primary but if I have points I want them pointed and sharp! Just my opinion and preference. A friend of mine recently bought a gorgeous Schon that has rounded points and many inlays. I like the cue but can't help thinking when I see it how much better and finshed it would look with "real points."

sknnybt
12-19-2003, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote charlieb:</font><hr> Hit is always primary but if I have points I want them pointed and sharp! Just my opinion and preference. A friend of mine recently bought a gorgeous Schon that has rounded points and many inlays. I like the cue but can't help thinking when I see it how much better and finshed it would look with "real points." <hr /></blockquote>
A solid hit is what is expected of a pool playing implement.
I think it is the artistic execution that is being questioned here. I prefer strict adherance to the description of the design components, that is, points should be pointed and sharp not rounded.

Chris Cass
12-20-2003, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
Besides, how many Joe Gold wannabe cues are out there already? Most of the cnc'd cues look like they are trying to copy Joe's design. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Joey,

Seen one the other day with Robin Dodsons name on the shaft in big gaudy lettering. LOL

Anyway, I don't know how it's done but I like sharp points. It shows the talent of the cuemaker. I don't think there's anything more beautiful than a 6 pointer with sharp points. Then again that study in blk and wht by Paul Drexler is awesome work. Now Barry Szamboti, looking at his points can poke you in the eye. LOL Man are they sharp.

Regards,

C.C.