PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight

Keith Talent
12-18-2003, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I know it's Christmastime and all that, but I'm not talking about counting calories ... though my own girth is creeping up since I put my tennis racquets in the closet and started hanging around pool rooms.

What I'm wondering, is if other people have tended to play with increasingly lighter cues as their game improves.

Me, when I was a hard-drinking youngster, I'd reach for the 21 or even a 22, because it seemed to settle down my stroke and keep it from going east and west.

Then when I got back into the game last winter, I thought a 20 felt heavy, but a 19 seemed light, so I went with a 19.5. But lately, my stroke seems to be straightening out, and I've been finding that the weight of the cue wants to pull backward when I want it to be going forward. This has led me to develop more of a pause on the transition, which I guess is better than just jerking the cue forward, but it's starting to feel like a hitch in my swing.

So, as an experiment, I've been trying out a 19 oz in the low-end Vikings the ph hands out (also out of necessity, because when I take my stick to work, my wife starts counting the minutes). The 19 feels smoother every time, and I no longer have the unsteadiness I used to feel, or the sensation that I have to muscle the long green.

So I'm about ready to yank the weight bolt out of the butt of my sneaky, though I'm not sure whether this could cause me some trouble. Anyway, next cue I get will definitely be a 19 or real close to it.

Anybody else find this sort of thing happening?

Iowashark
12-18-2003, 10:17 AM
I've had the same experience. When I first started banging balls at the bars I would reach for the heaviest house cue. My first cue was a 20.5 McDermott that I quickly grew out of, or it outgrew me. I bought a 19.5 Viking that I've pretty much used since (other than a Predator 19.5 that I bought because of their reputation, turns out I'm 1 in a hundred players that just doesn't like Predator) Now I'm going custom and thinking of getting it around 18 - 18.5 range.

~~Dave

Kato
12-18-2003, 02:23 PM
When I started playing I asked a bunch of people and they told me 19 was a good weight to play at. Now, 10 cues later I still play with a 19 oz. The balance points have shifted and I still can't make 2 balls in a row but that's my comfortable weight. Nothing else I've tried have I liked.

Kato

Rod
12-18-2003, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then when I got back into the game last winter, I thought a 20 felt heavy, but a 19 seemed light, so I went with a 19.5. But lately, my stroke seems to be straightening out, and I've been finding that the weight of the cue wants to pull backward when I want it to be going forward. This has led me to develop more of a pause on the transition, which I guess is better than just jerking the cue forward, but it's starting to feel like a hitch in my swing.

<hr /></blockquote>

Your getting a sense about what weight feels good. If it is to heavy you may sense stroke over-run per say. The swing has to come to a stop before you start forwards but how long is up to you. Might I suggest you bring the cue back more slowly so your not jerking it away and your change of direction (transition) starts forward with better fluidity.

Be careful about taking to much weight out, you can buy another bolt or just cut some off of the old bolt. It doesn't matter what weight others may use it has to feel good to you. You'll come up with a weight that you don't have to force the cue on the forward swing. Forcing the cue is likely to cause unwanted body movements and it's hell on accuracy. The other is to light and you don't sense the weight swinging. There is a correct weight for everyone.

Personally I play with a 19oz. A 19 1/4oz is just a little to heavy and a 18 3/4 is pushing the light side. My break cue is 18.8 oz but many times I just use my playing cue on a 9 footer but do use the break cue on a bar table.

Rod

Keith Talent
12-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Rod,

Thanks for pondering all that ... have been slowing down the stroke to try to go with the "rhythm of the weight" as you once put it in another post. Was hitting with the 19.5 for a couple of hours today, but it felt too damn slow, so I'm going to see how my regular cue plays at around 19. Maybe I'll run 4 balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif