PDA

View Full Version : Alex Brick cues....

rukiddingme
12-18-2003, 06:53 AM
feedback anyone?
ruk

Cueless Joey
12-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Made like SouthWest. Very fat and "woody".
Hard, hard, hit. Two players at my local hall had them.
He has quit making cues.

ted harris
12-18-2003, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> feedback anyone?
ruk <hr /></blockquote>
Website down, out of business. That's all I need to hear.

Cueless Joey
12-18-2003, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> feedback anyone?
ruk <hr /></blockquote>
Website down, out of business. That's all I need to hear. <hr /></blockquote>
Count these out too. I think. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Acic cues, Hathcock Cues, Gardner Cues, Smith Cues and Pointer Cues. All sites are down.

pooltchr
12-18-2003, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Hard, hard, hit. <hr /></blockquote>

Are you saying they hit like a brick?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

rukiddingme
12-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Mr. Harris,
Mr. brick has retired. One can still see a sample of his work at http://home.midsouth.rr.com/ynnek/html/main.htm
Just because one is retired does not pre-suppose that his cues were less than desireable as the tone of your post suggests. Slamming a fellow cue maker because he is no longer producing cues is not very professional IMHO...kind of self-serving...IMHO
ruk

ps... I had heard that Alex's cues play stiff... I was told like a Schuler... but just wondered if anyone on the ccb had played with one or knew of someone that did...

JimS
12-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Website down, out of business would be a good indication to me that I'd be well served to stay away from the product. That's what I read into Ted's post. Why did you read something apparently more detrimental and draw from your assumption enough righteousness to accuse someone of being unprofessional?

Spell it AT-TI-TUDE.

anarchist
12-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Last I heard, he has gone on to work on creating custom wood furniture. Think what you want, but his cues were both amazing in looks and play.

Oh, and Mr. Ted Harris, for your info, good custom furniture makers make between $150,000+ per year. Not a bad career change.

ted harris
12-18-2003, 10:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> Mr. Harris,
Mr. brick has retired. One can still see a sample of his work at http://home.midsouth.rr.com/ynnek/html/main.htm
Just because one is retired does not pre-suppose that his cues were less than desireable as the tone of your post suggests. Slamming a fellow cue maker because he is no longer producing cues is not very professional IMHO...kind of self-serving...IMHO
ruk

ps... I had heard that Alex's cues play stiff... I was told like a Schuler... but just wondered if anyone on the ccb had played with one or knew of someone that did...
<hr /></blockquote>
FYI, I have known Alex for about 10 years, and have always liked him. Been to his house a few times to drop him and cue tip Dale off. Last I saw him, maybe 1997, he was doing some pretty good silver work in his cues.
Oh, and self serving would be me trying to sell you a cue after bashing someone. It is clear to me that I was not bashing him, nor trying to sell you a cue.
All I did in my post was speak the truth...and that is all I need to hear. Good luck!

ted harris
12-18-2003, 10:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote anarchist:</font><hr> Last I heard, he has gone on to work on creating custom wood furniture. Think what you want, but his cues were both amazing in looks and play.

Oh, and Mr. Ted Harris, for your info, good custom furniture makers make between $150,000+ per year. Not a bad career change. <hr /></blockquote>
Great! I'll be getting mine making cues.
Hope he makes a million dollars a year making furniture.

rukiddingme
12-19-2003, 02:55 AM
Maybe you have not read Mr Harris post a few posts after yours where he tells us that he knows Mr. Brick, has been to his house and the like... I think I'll stick to my first impression after all.
ruk

Tommy_Davidson
12-19-2003, 03:07 AM
&gt; I am very familiar with his cues. There are a LOT of players in and around the Memphis area that put down Southwests,Cognoscentis,Schons and Omegas to play with them. His cues were patterned after vintage Kersenbrocks,as far as hit and overall dimensions such as shaft and butt tapers,diameter,etc. He used an aluminum 3/8-10 pin in most cases,slightly different than the brass 3/8-11 in Kersenbrocks. The cues hit very nice,about as close to a Southwest as you can get,or at least the ones I played with did,and plenty stiff. I thought his work even jumped a notch or two just before he quit,as he was using a laminated shaft,and made some plain cues with laminated hardwood or Dymondwood butts,mostly in the cocobolo type,that hit just super. If you want one,I'm sure there are some for sale in the Memphis area,usually in the rooms that sell cues like High Pockets and The Rack. Tommy D.

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 04:00 AM
Hi rukiddingme,

I really don't think Ted was slamming anyone. Ted has always been respectful and one of the most professional cuemakers out there as long as I've read his stuff. I'm thinking he ment the "Oh, another one bites the dust" kinda thing. It's scarry how many cumakers have just simple fallen to the wastside by lack of business or personal reasons. Heck, look at that guy in Fla. he spends most of his time on his boat. I can't remember his name but he makes a hell of a cue and he just enjoys fishing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 04:04 AM
Hi anarchist,

I have a SW cue that has just turned into funiture.

Regards,

C.C.

ted harris
12-19-2003, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi rukiddingme,

I really don't think Ted was slamming anyone. Ted has always been respectful and one of the most professional cuemakers out there as long as I've read his stuff. I'm thinking he ment the "Oh, another one bites the dust" kinda thing. It's scarry how many cumakers have just simple fallen to the wastside by lack of business or personal reasons. Heck, look at that guy in Fla. he spends most of his time on his boat. I can't remember his name but he makes a hell of a cue and he just enjoys fishing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>
...and it ain't over yet! There's gonna be a lot more that fall or quit. Cuemaking is one tough market!

rukiddingme
12-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Chris,
I respect your opinion and if you think I misinterpreted Mr. Harris' then I owe Mr. Harris an apology...
ruk

rukiddingme
12-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Mr. Harris,
It looks like I totally misinterpreted your posts and I apologize for the statements that I made. That is part of the problem with the Internet...things are taken very literally...you don't hear the person's voice and intonation and can read things the wrong way. It looks like I was guilty of that and jumped to the wrong conclusion. I hope you accept my apology.
ruk

ted harris
12-19-2003, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> Mr. Harris,
It looks like I totally misinterpreted your posts and I apologize for the statements that I made. That is part of the problem with the Internet...things are taken very literally...you don't hear the person's voice and intonation and can read things the wrong way. It looks like I was guilty of that and jumped to the wrong conclusion. I hope you accept my apology.
ruk
<hr /></blockquote>
No problemo! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
12-19-2003, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi anarchist,

I have a SW cue that has just turned into funiture.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Chris, old buddy...out of the goodness of my heart, I'll offer ya a crisp new $100 bill for that funky old SW cue, that you don't need anymore (since you now have a beautiful new SZAMBOTI!!). LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Oh all right...TWO crisp new $100 bills! Heck, it's Christmas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your pal...

Scott ~ whose heart may swell up to the size of a peanut
if he's not careful!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-19-2003, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>
Chris, old buddy...out of the goodness of my heart, I'll offer ya a crisp new $100 bill for that funky old SW cue, ..<hr /></blockquote>

Don't trust him Cass. He'll try to pawn off those $1,000,000 bills with his mug on the front /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott Lee
12-19-2003, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Don't trust him Cass. He'll try to pawn off those $1,000,000 bills with his mug on the front /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Un uh, Wally...Those are $1000 dollar bills with my picture!
The $1,000,000 dollar bills I have are the REAL McCOY! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

JimS
12-19-2003, 01:07 PM
What the heck am I...chopped liver?! Now I'm insulted.

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 05:10 PM
HAHAHAHA Hi Wally,

He hasn't heard yet. I actually paid for gas with one of his $1000. bills and the attendant gave me back change for a hundred. LOL I quickly took off. I think Scotts in some trouble. hahahahaha Oops, I didn't say that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi rukiddingme,

Your apology was extremely admirable. You are a total doll. I have the utmost respect for you now that you brought it up. Can't wait to see you again soon. I still have my eyes peeled out for some good buys on the SP thing. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~Heide and Spike say hi. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 05:19 PM
Why hello Scott,

Last I heard your were on the road giving pool lessons and having a fine ole time. Now what would you need furniture for? hahaha Besides, them guys at Samsara didn't let me charge anything on your account. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See ya on the 23rd.,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Hi Tommy D.,

I heard a rumor that David was making cues again but it's only a rumor. Haven't heard anything recently though. That was about 2 yrs ago.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Aww Jim,

Give me a hug buddy. It could be worse. I could come over and rub my crutch tip in your face. hahahahahah J/K, you all three are really respectable people and it's all nothing but a big misunderstanding. Hey lets get togather and pick on Scott for a nite. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Merry Christmas.....

Kato
12-20-2003, 07:51 AM
Hey listen, if you guys are going to pick on Scott I wanna pick on Scott too!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato

Ralph S.
12-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Hell yeah, people that have met Scott more than once get first dibbs at picking on him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif In that reguard I should be toward the top of the pick-on-Scott list. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Scott!Just funnin ya a little.

Chris Cass
12-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Hi Ralph,

Hey, I'm just trying to get close to even. hahahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
12-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi Kato,

Sure, when we get done picking on you. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Regards,

C.C.~~corn picker. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif