PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Old Timer

Snookered
12-18-2003, 09:45 AM
New to your forum yet have enjoyed all the discussion. I've been a pool and snooker player for over 50 years. I started on a home table, played in many of the old pool halls, and eventually opened my own pool hall in 1970. In a lot of ways I miss the old style pool halls: wooden floors, smoke filled rooms, antique tables, poorly lighted, and guys like Willie Mosconi, and Minnasota Fats coming to play at local events. Hanging out at the pool hall was a guy thing, girls usually weren't allowed or were afraid to come in. Not that was a good thing, just seemed more like a men's club thing. If you hung out at the pool hall you were kinda looked down on, as a hoodlum type. It was and is a great past time and I still enjoy a good game today. For some reason or another in my area (Chicago suburbs) snooker was the game of choice for the majority. If you really wanted to get into a match it had to be snooker. Well I enjoy playing both games, but snooker is "my game". I resently purchase a 5X10 Gold Crown I but sold it even before I set it up because it was too new for me, so I went on searching for that perfect antique table for me. I finally found an excellent deal on a 1928 6X12 Brunswick Medalist that's coming home. I doubt too many 6X12 Medalists were made so I am thrilled to have it. For all you die hard players I suggest you look very hard at an antique table as it is and will be an excellent investment. Most antique snooker tables are a steal right now. Granted they require more room, and you have to know how to shoot in order to enjoy them...especially on a 6X12 table. If you really want to play good pool...get good on a snooker table first, and practice on a snooker table.

Well I've made my introduction, and a bunch of BS to go with it. Thanks for the opportunity.

Jim

Chris Cass
12-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Welcome Aboard Jim. Hope you feel right at home soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Kato
12-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Howdy Jim. Welcome aboard. Put your feet up and enjoy.

Kato

stick8
12-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Hello Jim: sounds like we bouth came allong about the same time, i also started playing only snooker and rotation. was no eight ball or nine ball shot In my begining. I see very few old rooms like you described, not many left. are we getting old? ha talk later , STICK

Snookered
12-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Stick,

I am sure we are getting old, but certainly not as old as the game itself. Seems to me there is much more concern over the cue then there is for shot making. Granted you need a quality cue in order to shoot well, but the best cue I ever had was a house cue I shaved to suit me. I remember how impressed I was when I first saw the "Old Legends" pull out those two piece cues.

Some of those old house cues were kinda like that special house bowling ball that just seemed to work....but you couldn't take it home. Always looked for that special ball.

Most of those old shooters could still beat you with a broom handle.

I love a run on a snooker table!!

Jim

Wally_in_Cincy
12-18-2003, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snookered:</font><hr>
....In a lot of ways I miss the old style pool halls: ... smoke filled rooms,...<hr /></blockquote>

Yep. We were just talking about that /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome to CCB Jim.

Snookered
12-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys for the welcomings.

Kinda like missed the old Las Vegas...huh?

Jim

pooltchr
12-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Welcome, Jim. Sounds as if you might have quite a bit to contribute to the discussions around here.

As for getting old, I used to travel a good bit in my job and whenever going to a strange pool hall, would usually look around for the oldest guy in there. I could often get a good game, and likely learn something.

Now days, I have young kids coming into a room, and many seem to gravitate toward me. I guess it's karma, but many times, I am now the oldest guy in the p.h. IS THIS SOME KIND OF CRUEL JOKE????????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Snookered
12-18-2003, 11:03 AM
I did the same thing. You sure could learn a lot from that experience. Minnestoa Fats always seemed to have that old pool hall flavor many others did not. All that Pretty Boy stuff really didn't matter too much.

I guess when we shoot and a crowd of youngsters starts to gather you must be doing something right....or they just can't believe you were able to get out of your wheel chair?

Jim

BLACKHEART
12-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Hi Jim; I too grew up playing nothing but Snooker. The hall had 3- 5x10 Snooker tables &amp; 3- 4 1/2x9 Rotation tables. I'd shoot a game, before school. At lunch we'd run like hell, across the bridge from school, to the hall. We'd grab a Coke,hot dog &amp; right to the back table, to shoot as much Snooker as we could. Then another run back to school, with musterd on our cheek &amp; chalk on our hands. Then after school a few games. NOW THOSE WERE CARE FREE DAYS...JER

BLACKHEART
12-18-2003, 11:39 AM
By the way, that hall is still there. They had to put a new floor in, before someone fell through. There are 2 bathrooms now, because the other sex has dicovered pool. The shoe shine stand is gone. they only have 2 Snooker tables. BUT THE HOT DOGS STILL TASTE THE SAME...JER

Scott Lee
12-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Jim...Welcome to the CCB! I'm a Chicago guy originally, myself, now living in MT. However, I'll be in Chicago the end of January through the middle of February, and would love to come play some snooker with you, if you're interested! I've played on the 6x12 table at Chris's Billiards a number of times, and on other 6x12's around the country over the years! Fun game, snooker! We also used to play a lot of Golf on those big snooker tables! There's a tough game! LOL

I also enjoy a good game of 3-C too, and am meeting another poster (deno andrews) in Chicago to play some of that game!
Let me know if you'd like to get together!

Scott Lee

Snookered
12-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Blackheart,

Funny you should mention the lunch time thing. I did the same thing as did all the "pool hall" crowd. Ran our butts off to get a table, and had either Jimmy or Lou make us a burger or dog while we were playing. In those days you could have your food near the table. Running on that darned ice in sub zero temps sure made for a rough trip. It always was tough if you were late and had to ask for an excuse because you were playing snooker. Never once saw a teacher in the pool hall!

Jim

Snookered
12-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Scott Lee,

I'd love to play sometime, but I have been living in South Georgia for quite some time now. I do get to the Windy City from time to time, and never to Montana, but there is always a first time for everything. I travel around in a bus while on vacation(which is 24/7) since I am retired. I too did the C-3 thing, used it as my practice sections among other things. Good Old Boys down this away will play some snooker too, but most the old boys don't like the newer establishments as much. During my travels I'll always stop in a parlor that looks to be original. I should have been taking pictures all these years. Guess I had better start before they are all gone.
Thanks for the offer!!

Jim

Scott Lee
12-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Jim...As I travel the country teaching and doing exhibitions, I get down to S. GA too! Where are you?...closer to Valdosta or Savannah? Perhaps we get together when I come down that way this spring!

Scott Lee

Snookered
12-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Scott Lee.

I have a place in Savannah, and another about 35 miles south...Midway. I am in the process of building a new garage to house my stuff and bus, and will then begin on building a new house in Midway. Savannah house will be history soon...too busy. Sure it will be fun.

Jim

Scott Lee
12-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Jim...Send me an email with your name and phone number, and I'll get in touch with you prior to coming through Savannah!

Scott Lee
poolology@aol.com

Snookered
12-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Scott,

Have you ever done anything with Jim Lurtz in Crown Point?
He's been in the pool hall business there now for quite some time.

Jim