PDA

View Full Version : Hello America from the holders of the Mosconi

The Don
12-18-2003, 03:56 PM
10 pm UK time.Souquet battles Morris
Hoping for a wealth of banter between you yanks and myself as the Mosconi develops over the next few nights. Can we take you out in your own back yard? What do you think guys??

The Don
12-18-2003, 04:13 PM
First time we've seen Morris!. He played very attacking and it ran well for him. A cracking debut but the way he plays disguises his nerves. He will crack later when it matters methinks!

NEMO
12-18-2003, 04:25 PM
The Don,

Methinks you are sadly mistaken. Morris is nothing less than a monster at the table. No cracks.

Go get 'em Rocket!

Popcorn
12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
To be honest, The Mosconi Cup is just a big who cares. It is a contrived tournament that I find it hard to care one way or another who wins. Just my opinion.

cycopath
12-18-2003, 04:39 PM
The website is showing 2 - 1 USA. So if they went by the schedule Morris must have won. The news hasn't been updated yet.

Btw, Popcorn, I care. Go USA!

The Don
12-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Contrived? In what way? To strengthen the game as a world spectacle instead of an introverted American 'everyones a world champion', possibly. but yes for sure the games are short but its for telly and your guys are now over here all the time cos the games is growing and this is where the money is . And hang on ! It is being held in Vegas this time!!

Billy
12-18-2003, 07:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> To be honest, The Mosconi Cup is just a big who cares. It is a contrived tournament that I find it hard to care one way or another who wins. Just my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

why would contrived be such a bad thing?

it becomes a matter of national pride,one who backs their country's sentiment aka The Ryder Cup

besides ... it's direly needed exposure if pool is to become mainstream to middle america.It increases our chances immensely anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I,for one,praise Matchroom for their continued efforts.Wish I could be there to back the americans but Christmas is just the incorrect time of year imo

'Thank You' Matchroom /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
12-18-2003, 09:19 PM
By the time we get done whippin' ya'll, your players can get together and glue their cues together to make a couple of paddles, jump in an old boat and sail your European butts back across the big pond. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RailbirdJAM
12-19-2003, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Don:</font><hr> First time we've seen Morris!. He played very attacking and it ran well for him. A cracking debut but the way he plays disguises his nerves. He will crack later when it matters methinks! <hr /></blockquote>

Rodney will NEVER crack. The closer he gets to the finish line, the stronger his game. He's a quiet unassuming-type guy, but they don't call him "The Rocket" for nothing. He has a powerful break, a true professional, and an asset to our sport. Go get 'em, Rodney.

RailbirdJAM

Wally_in_Cincy
12-19-2003, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> To be honest, The Mosconi Cup is just a big who cares. It is a contrived tournament that I find it hard to care one way or another who wins. Just my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

I think it's a good concept, though maybe not totally original /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The fans in the stands love it. I wish I could be there. I think it would be great fun.

Good to see Tony Robles on the team this year too.

JohnBarton
12-19-2003, 08:10 AM

Aren't all tournaments contrived? I like the team format, the pressure and the pool. I have been watching the 2002 Mosconi Cup on Sunshine/Empire and it has been really entertaining. the commentary is pretty good, the audience is raucus loud and knowledgeable. You cna definitely see that the players are playing for more than just a trophy or a check.

I played on teams in Europe where we had to play sets in 8 ball, 9 ball and straight pool. I also play on leagues here. All of the league players can appreciate the pressure to bring it home for the team. I can only imagine what it must feel like to have to bring it hime for the country.

So, even if the event is a promoter's invention it is still a stage for real good nine ball and lot's of it. As I recall Johnston City was a "contrived" event as well :-))

John
http://www.cuecaserepair.com

Qtec
12-19-2003, 08:19 AM
In your dreams, mate! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whatever happens,it will be close and I hope Earl plays Steve again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Go Europe.

Q

bluewolf
12-19-2003, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> The website is showing 2 - 1 USA. So if they went by the schedule Morris must have won. The news hasn't been updated yet.

Btw, Popcorn, I care. Go USA! <hr /></blockquote>

I thouroughly enjoyed watching it last year and have lots of it on tape. It is good for my game and my enthusiasm to see good pool, always.

Laura

12-19-2003, 12:25 PM

thecardman
12-19-2003, 12:43 PM
So Popcorn thinks the Mosconi is a waste of time? Hmmm. Well, considering that it is creating interest and publicity in pool, why is it such a waste of time? Your silence since your post has been deafening. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The atmosphere is slowly starting to reach the levels attained at the York Hall, London over the last few years and I think that we could be watching the Mosconi live from Europe one year, America the next.

Given time, maybe both sides of the Atlantic can watch the whole think LIVE! Give it time, I am almost certain it will happen. Ten years ago, during the first Mosconi Cup, while I enjoyed the tournament, I didn't think that it would amount to much! How wrong was I??? Be patient, America!

Bug ESPN and keep bugging them to get them to show it live. Hightlights are great, but live is better!

Popcorn
12-19-2003, 01:19 PM
I just gave my opinion, I find no need to argue or keep posting repeats of the same opinion. I find the silly pretend rivalry and the way it is promoted a waste of time. To be honest, you would not be able to find one American who is not a super pool enthusiast who even know it exists. Nor will you find even one newspaper or news organization who will have any results on it. It is a non event with no significant importance other then to make a few bucks for the promoters, and that is fine. It just doesn't hold any interest for me, other then to maybe see some good pool.

pooltchr
12-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Popcorn,
Those are the same newspapers that ignore the US Open, Derby City, Glass City, Windy City, and any other pool event. It's not the event they ignore, it's the entire sport! Personally, I think the M.C. is a great promotion for the game......now if we could get the kind of coverage in this country that they get "across the pond"....

Kato
12-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Well, stop holding it and give it back!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

RailbirdJAM
12-19-2003, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> know we don't have a queen, but we have Earl the King hahahaha.<hr /></blockquote>

We've already got Hall of Famer King [Jim] Rempe /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

RailbirdJAM

RUNaRAK
12-19-2003, 08:25 PM
That is what makes this world so great. We can all voice our own opinion. It does not matter if Popcorn likes or cares for the Mosconi cup or not.
It is obvious by this post that most of us rather enjoy the rivalry whether it has been "contrived" or not. Who really cares, it is just another reason to have some fantastic pool and sportsmanship.
Long live the Mosconi Cup...

My two cents..

Merry Christmas to everyone, even if we do not agree...

marigold
12-19-2003, 11:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> That is what makes this world so great. We can all voice our own opinion. It does not matter if Popcorn likes or cares for the Mosconi cup or not.
It is obvious by this post that most of us rather enjoy the rivalry whether it has been "contrived" or not. Who really cares, it is just another reason to have some fantastic pool and sportsmanship.
Long live the Mosconi Cup...

My two cents..

Merry Christmas to everyone, even if we do not agree... <hr /></blockquote>

exactly. let's just keep hoping for the best for whichever team we root for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gold

The Don
12-20-2003, 01:58 PM
good point . the newspapers controlwhat you read which is why soccer isnt as big in the US as it is in the rest of the known world. Poolis a great sport and the Mosconi can only make it bigger. Bully your tv stations and newspapers with your opinions and it will be 'live on tv as it is here.
Latest
Van den berg beats Robles 5-3
Europe 4 USA 6 first to 11
I love it!!

Davis v Stickland soon !!

The Don
12-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Was priveleged to play Jim 'The KIng' in an exhibition in Exeter in 1987 when he was at his best . He\came over\ here and played some snooker, did ok, but his pool was unreal! A gentleman and a champion ! Whats he doing now ? I guess his shaky arm eventually cost him his Mosconi place . I miss him!

Keith Talent
12-20-2003, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Popcorn,
Those are the same newspapers that ignore the US Open, Derby City, Glass City, Windy City, and any other pool event. It's not the event they ignore, it's the entire sport! Personally, I think the M.C. is a great promotion for the game......now if we could get the kind of coverage in this country that they get "across the pond".... <hr /></blockquote>

I agree that it makes for good viewing (at least the '02 stuff I've seen on Net) and it could spur enthusiasm -- IF ANYBODY KNEW ABOUT IT.

I work at a large newspaper ... I made a pitch to our sports editor for coverage of the Big Apple 9-ball tourney in Queens last summer. Got nowhere. It's not even on the radar screen, sad to say. Truth is, sports departments at papers around the country are filled with frat boys and failed jocks who are hard-core traditionalists and aren't known for much but having been C students ... kind of like our Prez, I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All they'll do is follow TV ratings, I suppose.

The Don
12-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Davis is entitled to miss the odd shot in a game he plays for perhaps 6 weeks of the year. He is a snooker player playing your game and beating the best of you , Americans , europeans , phillipinos and all. He can choke of course he can. He once missed a sitter for a world snooker title because of the pressure but you dont get to world finals unlesss you can handle pressure and Steve s been in 9 of them , winning 6. He WAS the very best, now he 's just v ery good , but he is a baby at this game. A VERY BIG BABY who can make you cry!!!

RailbirdJAM
12-20-2003, 04:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Don:</font><hr> Was priveleged to play Jim 'The KIng' in an exhibition in Exeter in 1987 when he was at his best . He\came over\ here and played some snooker, did ok, but his pool was unreal! A gentleman and a champion ! Whats he doing now ? I guess his shaky arm eventually cost him his Mosconi place . I miss him! <hr /></blockquote>

When I spoke to King Rempe at a recent Joss Tour tournament in Syracuse, New York, he said the last MAJOR tournament he attended was Hooker's Trump Marina 10-Ball Challenge in Atlantic City, where he placed second. He still lives in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and has been known to frequent the Joss Tour.

IMO, the Mosconi Cup is the closest thing that we have in the States to an Olympics. What a shame!

Thanks for the wonderful updates on the Mosconi Cup. Very much appreciated! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RailbirdJAM

The Don
12-20-2003, 04:38 PM
My pleasure!
The King remains my favourite. How highly is he ranked by the pool community in america amongst the very best. THe best or if not who is , not strickland surely?

RailbirdJAM
12-20-2003, 04:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Don:</font><hr> My pleasure!
The King remains my favourite. How highly is he ranked by the pool community in america amongst the very best. THe best or if not who is , not strickland surely? <hr /></blockquote>

Jim Rempe is in the Hall of Fame here and is highly respected among his peers. He suffers from a bad shoulder and doesn't follow the tournament trail, but he still has the passion. You can see it in his eyes when he plays.

In the U.S., Johnny Archer is enjoying a banner year with five wins in a row.

As far as who is considered the best in the eyes of America's pool public, why, that's the stuff that threads are made up of on pool forums. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RailbirdJAM

The Don
12-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Archer is obviously a very good player, but the best? as a uk mainly 8 ball player who dont know to much about the game, I cant see that he is the best in america. he looks twitchy to me , an individual. The team game is alien to Us pool but players like JJ are the guys who win team games. Look at Immomen.

marigold
12-20-2003, 10:36 PM
mika is really playing very well. now his teammates are doing so too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gold

buddha162
12-21-2003, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote The Don:</font><hr> Archer is obviously a very good player, but the best? as a uk mainly 8 ball player who dont know to much about the game, I cant see that he is the best in america. he looks twitchy to me , an individual. <hr /></blockquote>

For many years Archer was almost untouchable. He didn't get voted Player of the Decade (90's) by BD for nothing, and his play was fluid and flawless. The "twitchiness" you've witnessed has been a fairly recent phenomena, along with some excrutiatingly slow play. He said in an interview that he started to pick up his pace, and hence the comeback he's making this year.

Roger

The Don
12-21-2003, 02:41 PM
USA 7
Europe 8

archer v davis
gripping !!!
pool is growing real quick america !!