PDA

View Full Version : DVD Movies: Widescreen versus Full Screen

TomBrooklyn
12-18-2003, 10:15 PM
What's the difference? The widescreen is shorter top to bottom, right? Is it one or the other, or can the widescreen also play in full screen? I play them on a 32" TV.

Cueless Joey
12-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Widescreen ( or Letterbox or Panoramic) is the way ( it should, some are not true widescreen) they showed it in the theaters.
Fullscreen or Pan and Scan is made to fit the regular tv which really not rectangular. Regular tv's have a 4 to 3 width to height ratio.
A widescreen movie should have a 16 by 9 ratio or wider.
On widescreen/letterbox mode you see EVERYTHING but you do have the black bars on top (on regular tv) because that space is not needed. Have you ever seen a movie screen that is square? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif They're all rectangular.
On full screen you MISS a ton of picture on the side. What they do is Pan and Scan the film when transferring the film to video. Meaning they actually move the camera ( that's taping the movie on a movie box) side to side so you would see most of the significant part of the scenes. It's terrible and should be discontinued if you ask me.
Can I widescreen fill up the whole screen of a regular tv?
Yes it can but you will STRETCH the picture vertically. Remember those funny looking Kung Fu movies on tv? Yup, they were stretched.
Btw, a 32" tv is 32 inches from the bottom corner to the top corner.
Play the widescreen so you see everything and forget about the black bars. They don't exist.

moblsv
12-19-2003, 10:04 AM
This is one of those things that has always bothered me. A director creates his "work of art" in widescreen and then it has to be hacked up to watch it on TV. Finally, the trend is going toward making 16:9 aspect ratio TVs, releasing 16:9 DVD's and even the made for TV programing is going 16:9.

Usually a 4:3 tv will show a 16:9 movie with black lines at the top and bottom, in affect shrinking the screen size. A good 16:9 tv will have zoom functions to allow a 4:3 to show with black lines on the sides and then zoom in on the 16:9 show to fill the whole screen.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-19-2003, 11:31 AM
they sell TVs that are already in the 16:9 format for the wide screen DVD movies.

If you want to watch regular TV, the black bars are on the sides (rather than on the top for older TV sets)

Black Bars are not all that distracting for me. I guess I might be an exception to the rule. Personnaly I really like where the TV and movie industry is going with the home entertainment viewing pleasures.

Love watching good movies, eating popcorn and enjoying it all with the family.

lovethegame272
12-20-2003, 02:14 PM
widescreen is closer to the human field of vision. Thats y they use it in theatres. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif