PDA

View Full Version : Berringer cue?

Popcorn
12-18-2003, 11:34 PM
It seem like Berringer cue is up and running under a new name. If you look around you can't even find the mention of the name Barringer, It is defiantly the same web site though. I only did business with Berringer once and I got kind of screwed on what was to be top quality shaft wood. I guess he is operating under a new name now.
http://www.cuecomponents.com/index.html

Cueless Joey
12-18-2003, 11:48 PM
They moved to Vegas. A friend and I are going to drop in their store this March to buy or check their wood.
Somehow I have yet to see or hear anyone with a Barringer cue.

Popcorn
12-18-2003, 11:50 PM
I wonder why the new web site is so devoid of the Berringer name?

Chicago9Ball
12-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Barringercues.com still works but seems to be only for cues and not woods or materials.
I've bought from them before and aside from shipping being a little slow I was happy with them.
Maybe they just wanted two seperate sites,one for cues and one for materials?
I've also never seen one of their cues up close.

Chicago

tateuts
12-19-2003, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> They moved to Vegas. A friend and I are going to drop in their store this March to buy or check their wood.
Somehow I have yet to see or hear anyone with a Barringer cue. <hr /></blockquote>

It looks like they divided up their component business from their custom cue-making business. They have some interesting products. I haven't seen them on E-Bay either.

I have a tall friend who needed a 63" cue with a very thick handle and I suggested he take a look at Barringer's premium 4 prong blanks (they come really thick through the butt section). He called them and ordered two, one ebony/maple and one cocobolo/maple and had customs made from there. They're very good spliced blanks, although at first we had problems with one. Joe Barringer argued over the phone with my buddy before finally replacing it after our cue-maker called him.

I know that Barringer and Talisman had problems - check out this link:

Talisman Barringer Warning (http://www.talismanbilliards.com/BarringerCues.asp)

Chris

Cueless Joey
12-19-2003, 10:34 AM
They don't make those blanks.
But, that's another story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ted harris
12-19-2003, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> They don't make those blanks.
But, that's another story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Well...???????......we're waiting?
You cannot open up a can of worms like that, and leave us hanging...can you?

Popcorn
12-19-2003, 11:09 AM
I don't know about now, but I was at the shop and they were making them there. They may have also bought them from someone else, I don't know, but it is not brain surgery to build a full splice blank. Interestingly enough, I did not see one cue in any stage of production, just a lot of wood.

RedHell
12-19-2003, 11:16 AM
About the Talisman and Baringer story....

I witness it as it went on. And based on what I saw, I decided never to have business with Baringer. His attitudes and business ethics didn't seem too high based on the way he dealt with his conflicts with Talisman.

Tony didn't deserve all the bashing Baringer did !!!

Cueless Joey
12-19-2003, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I don't know about now, but I was at the shop and they were making them there. They may have also bought them from someone else, I don't know, but it is not brain surgery to build a full splice blank. Interestingly enough, I did not see one cue in any stage of production, just a lot of wood. <hr /></blockquote>
Did you see them make the full-splice blank or you saw them turn down one that was already done?
If they're making them now themselves, then my info is wrong. But, I can tell you, he charges way too much for his blank. He unloaded a ton of them on Fleabay a while back for around $40. Maybe that was the time he started making his own and dumped the old ones. I have one of his rosewood ones btw.

tateuts
12-19-2003, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> But, I can tell you, he charges way too much for his blank. He unloaded a ton of them on Fleabay a while back for around $40. Maybe that was the time he started making his own and dumped the old ones. I have one of his rosewood ones btw. <hr /></blockquote>

The new site has the premium blanks for $125. I think we picked up the other ones for $75 and $90. I didn't think that was a bad deal considering the maple had some nice figure and the overall quality was very good.

That Talisman/Barringer feud made Barringer look like a hothead. He sold a bunch of Moori's cheap (like $6) on E-Bay to get revenge on Talisman. E-Bay forced him to cancel the auction because the ad was derogatory to Talisman.

Chris

tateuts
12-19-2003, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It seem like Berringer cue is up and running under a new name. http://www.cuecomponents.com/index.html <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,

How did you hear about the new site?

Chris

BLACKHEART
12-19-2003, 03:29 PM
POPCORN; What kind of wood did you order &amp; what was the problem? I'm considering buying some shaft wood from them. You can E-MAIL me if you want...JER

Chris Cass
12-19-2003, 04:23 PM
WOW,

I can't believe what I read on the Talisman site. That's unreal. I never heard of a disclaimer like that. It's almost slanderess. Something doesn't smell right.

C.C.~~confused to say the least....sounds like chapter something????

Popcorn
12-19-2003, 04:59 PM
It was shaft wood that was to be select. It was not bad, I could use it but not the way they described. I am no expert, but in the short visit I made to their shop I saw them making up shafts. They cut up the boards into about 1 inch square and then shove them through a doweling machine. It looked like very rough treatment of the wood, very stress full. I don't know, maybe this is how everybody does it, but it seemed like speed was the most important factor. I am not saying don't buy from them, just they are very good at over stating things in general. The reality is different then the perception they like to create. I find the name change to be interesting, not that it means anything, but when you have already established a name, why would you want to start over?

Pelican
12-19-2003, 05:37 PM
"That Talisman/Barringer feud made Barringer look like a hothead. He sold a bunch of Moori's cheap (like $6) on E-Bay to get revenge on Talisman. E-Bay forced him to cancel the auction because the ad was derogatory to Talisman."

<font color="blue">I managed to get in on that before ebay shut him down. Bought 50 Moori tips. I personally don't use 'em but they sell good. </font color>

tateuts
12-19-2003, 06:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr>
<font color="blue">I managed to get in on that before ebay shut him down. Bought 50 Moori tips. I personally don't use 'em but they sell good. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

I thought about it. I had a real ethical stuggle with the situation. Then greed got the better of me in about two seconds and I went ahead and helped myself to a dozen. I got them just before the auction was pulled. Fortunately, I already paid for them so Barringer mailed them to me. I heard some people didn't get theirs.

It took a while for me to get used to Moori's but I like them now and that's what I use.

Chris

tateuts
12-19-2003, 06:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> WOW,

I can't believe what I read on the Talisman site. That's unreal. I never heard of a disclaimer like that. It's almost slanderess. Something doesn't smell right.

C.C.~~confused to say the least....sounds like chapter something???? <hr /></blockquote>

Chris,

If you could have witnessed the pissing match Barringer made out of this, you would think Troy was absolutely restrained in his response. Barringer was the one who was libelous and hateful. He had set up a really nasty web page about Talisman (it's gone now).

I think what happened, if I recall correctly (notice the legal disclaimer?) was Talisman cut Barringer off as a dealer because they were underselling Talisman products, namely tips, on E-Bay. Manufacturers need to be selective about their distribution channels and they don't "have to" sell to anyone. They are also allowed to set advertising minimums on their own products. Barringer went publicly bersek on Talisman - very unprofessional. Moori eventually may have come down on him because later on you could only get a good price on Moori's if you bought one of his jump cue tips for $10 - then they would throw in a Moori free.

What a way to make a living...I wonder if they are in a lawsuit with each other - it was that bad.

Chris

Brady_Behrman
12-20-2003, 12:42 AM
Berringer lives in FLA and I have done business iwth him in the past and had NO probs..

Chris Cass
12-20-2003, 04:48 AM
Thanks Chris,

I knew it had to be a major thing for Tony to say something like that in writing. I wasn't around for that stuff. Glad you had gotten some of the tips before the rest of the public glommed them up.

I think business' that offer a product to the outside venders, should cut the cost to them. Even enough to under bid the business' price. Not to kill'em though. It gives the venders a little added incentive. Too bad things went that way. Publically fighting like that isn't good business sence to me.

Thanks,

C.C.

Pelican
12-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Hi Brady. Joe has relocated to Las Vegas. I talked with him on the phone a time or two back in Sept. We were going to Ft Lauderdale and I wanted to drive down and meet him. He was in the process of moving and didn't have time. We got along ok in conversation but he does seem like he could be arrogant if he wanted to.

Cueless Joey
12-20-2003, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Thanks Chris,

I knew it had to be a major thing for Tony to say something like that in writing. I wasn't around for that stuff. Glad you had gotten some of the tips before the rest of the public glommed them up.

I think business' that offer a product to the outside venders, should cut the cost to them. Even enough to under bid the business' price. Not to kill'em though. It gives the venders a little added incentive. Too bad things went that way. Publically fighting like that isn't good business sence to me.

Thanks,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>
From what I gathered from that spat, Joe ended up looking like a hypocrite.
He got mad b/c Tony, apparently, asked him not to bundle sale Talisman tips on Fleabay.
But, before that Joe was selling Moori tips on Fleabay and the buyers were asked not to resale the Mooris bought from him him on Fleabay.
That's how I understood all that mess.
But, the bottom line was Joe did not have to badmouth Tony and his tips like that. Joe made himself look like an azz doing that.
My 2 cents ( worth 3 Canadian cents /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif )