PDA

View Full Version : Leather Wrap Care Q

Sid_Vicious
12-20-2003, 09:13 AM
Would it be advised against for using auto leather cleaners and conditioners on leather wraps? I have one getting dull in the grip area and figured I'd best tend to it NOW! sid

hadenball
12-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Sid,

According to chris Hightower "you treat it like a nice pair of shoes. You use the black (or other color) leather dye if it needs it or liquid shoe polish"

Wally_in_Cincy
12-20-2003, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> Sid,

According to chris Hightower "you treat it like a nice pair of shoes. You use the black (or other color) leather dye if it needs it or liquid shoe polish" <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well you can shoe polish yours if you like. I think a good quality leather conditioner would be better.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Every mall has a leather shop. Maybe they could recommend something.

FearlessInc
12-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Arg, I feel so dumb =( Don't ask why but I used a slightly damp towel to try and clean it and let's just say it doesn't have the same feel on my leather wrap.

Is it still possible to get a leather conditioner and hopefully make it better?
(By the way, it's a black irish linen wrap) (Predator 3K1)

Ralph S.
12-20-2003, 01:23 PM
How can it be an Irish linen and leather wrap? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I personally dont like leather cue wraps , but I do think a good leather conditioner should suffice.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-20-2003, 01:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> How can it be an Irish linen and leather wrap? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<font color="blue">You weren't the only one confused by that /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

I personally dont like leather cue wraps ,

<font color="blue">Either is ok by me, and I have both, although I think the leather feels more comfortable, if that makes sense. </font color>

but I do think a good leather conditioner should suffice.

<font color="blue">yep. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Cueless Joey
12-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Saddle soap and Outer's mink oil work for me.

hadenball
12-20-2003, 02:48 PM
I just quoted what chris said in his book there Richard Cranium!! Don't shoot the messenger. I wasnt' talking to you anyway!!!!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-20-2003, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hadenball:</font><hr> I just quoted what chris said in his book there Richard Cranium!! Don't shoot the messenger. I wasnt' talking to you anyway!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Do you agree with Chris Hightower?

FearlessInc
12-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Sorry guys. I thought it was a leather wrap. It is indeed an irish linen wrap (after I checked the Seybert website)
How do I clean an Irish Linen wrap than? Thanks!

hadenball
12-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Never dealt with leather wraps so I don't know if he's right or not, was just passing something on that I read.

Sid_Vicious
12-21-2003, 08:26 AM
I went ahead and used the car upholstery stuff, a cleaner and then a conditioner. It came out kind of sticky at first but it's ok after a night of play. Both leather wraps I own were filthy! I had not realized it with them being black in color, but it took 3-4 cleanings before it came clean.

I think I will take the advice of getting some real products intended for fine leather though for the next treatment. I'm just not keen on the stickyness in the early stages. Thanks everyone...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
12-21-2003, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FearlessInc:</font><hr> Sorry guys. I thought it was a leather wrap. It is indeed an irish linen wrap (after I checked the Seybert website)
How do I clean an Irish Linen wrap than? Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

I always just used a damp cloth. But mine never got very dirty to begin with.

pooltchr
12-22-2003, 06:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FearlessInc:</font><hr> Sorry guys. I thought it was a leather wrap. It is indeed an irish linen wrap (after I checked the Seybert website)
How do I clean an Irish Linen wrap than? Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>
Try spray starch. Spray a clean cloth until wet (not dripping, but more than just damp) I have used it on linen wraps and it works fine. If you have access to a lathe, you can turn it and the friction creates enough heat to really make it shine.

Iowashark
12-22-2003, 10:50 AM
I use car upholstery cleaner on mine when I clean it. I don't care too much for the leather wrap in the first and the cleaner leaves a tackyness on the grip that I actually welcome. Normally my leather grip feels slippery(maybe my hands sweat too much or something) but I've never noticed any negative effects from the upholstery (leather) cleaner. And the tackyness wears off after a few hours of use too, just in case you don't like the tackiness.

~~Dave

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Mine came out ok, and yes the tackyness did leave. I did my other leather wrap and just left the conditioner to soak in over night. It actually felt smooth after sitting without being wiped down, which is what I did with the first wrap...sid