PDA

View Full Version : How do I easily get shaft out of tube case?

04-18-2002, 02:49 PM
I just received a Joe Porper Regal cue case from Mueller. It has tubelike spaces for 1 butt & 2 shafts. I put the butt & shaft of my Viking cue into it. I turned the case upside down and shake and the butt comes out easily. But the shaft doesn't. I screwed the butt section into the shaft section to get it out. What it the correct way to get the shaft out. I haven't played pool in 20 years and am thinking about trying to play a little. Thanks.

Doctor_D
04-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Good afternoon:

If the new case has enough head room, you could make some spacers for the shaft tubes from dowl rods. That is what my Dad did for me for my Justis Case when I received it.

Dr. D.

04-18-2002, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> I just received a Joe Porper Regal cue case from Mueller. It has tubelike spaces for 1 butt &amp; 2 shafts. I put the butt &amp; shaft of my Viking cue into it. I turned the case upside down and shake and the butt comes out easily. But the shaft doesn't. I screwed the butt section into the shaft section to get it out. What it the correct way to get the shaft out. I haven't played pool in 20 years and am thinking about trying to play a little. Thanks.
<hr></blockquote>

There's nothing wrong with taking the shaft out by screwing the butt into it. This is the usual course of action for stuck shafts. You might try looking for Viking joint protectors - maybe removing the shaft will be easier.

Then again, you ARE playing with a Viking, so if you're ever running low on firewood, dont hesitate to keep yourself warm.

Doesn't HATE on Viking, just all production cues. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

PoolFool
04-18-2002, 10:01 PM
Eddie, What works for me: Go to a store that sells shooting supplies, get some foam rubber ear plugs, put one in the bottom of the case. The foam will compress when you close the top and lift the cue up when opened. If one isn't enough, put in two.

PoolFool

04-18-2002, 10:19 PM
yeah, right! a good player can beat you with your custom cue against a production cue. custom cues are overrated. LOL

04-18-2002, 10:23 PM
yeah, right! a good player can beat you with your custom cue against a production cue. custom cues are overrated. LOL

If I were to try playing now even using my custom made Burton Spain cue, even the bad players would beat me easily with house cues.

Jay M
04-19-2002, 12:32 AM
just a thought. try putting the butt and shafts in the other way. I had all kinds of trouble getting shafts out of one of my cases using the configuration that was shown. Turn the butt and shafts the opposite way and it works just fine.

Jay M&lt;~~~~~ sure I'll play...ummm nm, my cue is stuck again, can you grab that end of the case?

Chris Cass
04-19-2002, 02:23 AM
Hi Eddie,

The post Anon posted was ripping on Louis not you. I do however like your good layed back attitude. You can take a rib also.

Eddie, before you ask, wipe the chalk off the tip on the carpet at the pool hall and then you won't get any chalk in the new case. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Doctor_D
04-19-2002, 05:37 AM
Good morning:

I remember reading, somewhere, that a good player can glue a tip on the end of a broom stick and run the table on you. Afterwards, she would sweep the floor with it /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

WaltVA
04-19-2002, 07:10 AM
A tip's not always necessary - some years ago saw Jim Rempe beat someone at an exhibition using an 8' wooden push-broom handle, no tip; just chalked the rounded end.

Walt in VA

Vagabond
04-19-2002, 02:28 PM
hello Mate,
Heat it or wait till summer comes up or leave chicago and move to a sunbelt state.LOL
cheers
vagabond

stickman
04-19-2002, 02:53 PM
I usually remove my shafts by screwing the butt into it. Mine don't fit so tight that I can't get them out, but there's not that much sticking out to get ahold of. I used to use joint protectors and that made it easier. For some reason, I've left them in the top pocket of my case. Lazy, I guess. /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

Troy
04-19-2002, 03:48 PM
So just what exactly is your point ???

If someone wants a custom cue, how is that ANY of your business ??? Just why would you be bothered by that ???

Jealous maybe..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> yeah, right! a good player can beat you with your custom cue against a production cue. custom cues are overrated. LOL <hr></blockquote>

Troy
04-19-2002, 04:03 PM
Yet another reason I like Guiseppe Cases -- Butts and shafts fit either end first and NO problem with removal.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> I just received a Joe Porper Regal cue case from Mueller. It has tubelike spaces for 1 butt &amp; 2 shafts. I put the butt &amp; shaft of my Viking cue into it. I turned the case upside down and shake and the butt comes out easily. But the shaft doesn't. I screwed the butt section into the shaft section to get it out. What it the correct way to get the shaft out. I haven't played pool in 20 years and am thinking about trying to play a little. Thanks.
<hr></blockquote>

04-19-2002, 04:51 PM
&lt;i&gt; Yet another reason I like Guiseppe Cases -- Butts and shafts fit either end first and NO problem with removal &lt;/i&gt;

I haven't played or been around pool in 20 years. Someplace I have an old soft sided vinyl case or two. I called Muellers to order an Instroke case. They no longer handled that brand due to problems with the manufacturer. Mueller's said that the Joe Porper cases were the best for their price. And I took their advice. Getting the shaft out the first time was just a minor inconvience. And I'm still waiting for the Instroke vinyl case I ordered from CueSight over 4 weeks ago.

04-19-2002, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> So just what exactly is your point ???

If someone wants a custom cue, how is that ANY of your business ??? Just why would you be bothered by that ???

no i'm not! just read what he/she wrote first b4 exploding on me.
Jealous maybe..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Anonymous:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; yeah, right! a good player can beat you with your custom cue against a production cue. custom cues are overrated. LOL &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt; <hr></blockquote>

Q-guy
04-20-2002, 06:10 AM
Post deleted by Q-guy

Q-guy
04-20-2002, 06:22 AM
Post deleted by Q-guy

04-20-2002, 07:44 AM
Eddie...Using the butt to screw into and retrieve the shaft is perfectly fine, but if you want a remedy do this. Look for someone who has a break cue shaft, my Mcdermott "blackie" for instance, and jam it into the tube. Then retrieve it with the butt('cause it will be very snug.) The theory here is that most break cue shafts are straight tapered and stuff, so thay are relatively bigger in diameter. The Porper tube will press out to the bigger diameter and you should then be able to get your play shaft out easily.

One thing you will gain(IMO) by leaving it snug is that you will seldom make the mistake of tipping the case and letting the wood slide out onto the floor. Those joint edges just LOVE to find the hardest thing in sight to ding up against ;-(

..sid~~~likes the snugger fit and resists the urge to press it bigger, just uses the butt(yes I think it looks cool)

Rich R.
04-20-2002, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good morning:

I remember reading, somewhere, that a good player can glue a tip on the end of a broom stick and run the table on you. Afterwards, she would sweep the floor with it /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> That used to be a story told when introducing Mosconi "He could not only beat you with a broom, but sweep the place out afterwards." I find it interesting you said "Good player" then used the word "She" combined with the reference to sweeping. A Freudian slip? <hr></blockquote>
Q-guy, maybe the good Dr. was not so Freudian???? LMAO. Rich R.~~~doesn't think Dr. D. slipped on anything.

04-20-2002, 11:05 AM
I used to have a case that swallowed the entire shaft, down and out of sight. (Butt, too) I went to Home Depot and got some wooden dowels and cut off the correct amounts and dropped them down the wells. Worked fine and put both units at my fingertips. It was an old case and I never knew why it was so deep.

PQQLK9
04-20-2002, 11:07 AM
http://www.gripperbilliards.com/#extractor

Tom_In_Cincy
04-20-2002, 12:04 PM
Great tool.. answers all the questions...
Thanks for the link.. (been added to my favorits)

stickman
04-20-2002, 08:25 PM
When I used to use the joint protectors, I still put the butt in joint first. The joint protector made the butt stick out enough farther that removal was no problem. Like wise with the shaft. I never tried putting my butt in bumper first. I'll have to check it out, and see if my case will take it that way.