PDA

View Full Version : Another old billiards institution bites the dust

L.S. Dennis
12-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Well sooner or later it had to happen, I just got notice last night that "Hollywood Billiards" in San Francisco is closing indefinitly. This was one of the last of the old upstairs billiard emporiums that Tony Anigonni worked so hard to re-open as the "Cue Club" in the early 90's.

To bad, the place could have been a gold mine if it were located anywhere else in the Bay Area with decent 'safe' parking available, but in the heart of "the tenderloin" in SF it was only a matter of time before it closed. Sad

Wally_in_Cincy
12-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Does Tony A still own it?

L.S. Dennis
12-20-2003, 12:00 PM
No Tony has been out of there for severals years now. This was the old "Cochran"s" down on market st in SF.

L.S. Dennis
12-21-2003, 10:18 PM
One extra note, I first went up there in 1963. During that period of time one could almost see any match immaginable played. There was a game called "pink ball" played on a 6x12 snooker table that was an extremely popular money game in those days. I also remember going up there on a sunday once and "San Jose Dick" and "Hayward Blackie" were just finishing up after having played for 3 days in some money game. Yeah, probably not the kind of place you'd want your kids to hang out but all polical correctness aside 'Damn it was great'!

Oh well guess it's back to the squeaky clean WPBA matches on ESPN!

Tom_In_Cincy
12-22-2003, 12:38 AM
L.S.
I talked to Tony tonite, as usual, there is something in the works. Tony's always working.. even when we sleep, Tony's working.. that guy's got more going everytime I talk to him...

Eric.
12-22-2003, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr>This was the old "Cochran"s" down on market st in SF. <hr /></blockquote>

Isn't Hollywood Billiards on Golden Gate? I remember parking on the side street, walking over a couple of homeless sleeping against the chainlink fence for the lot nesxt door to the poolhall...

Eric

Troy
12-22-2003, 09:56 AM
You have that right Tom... Tony A seems to never sleep and always has something new he's working on. He is supposed to be at our local Room tomorrow night.

Troy

L.S. Dennis
12-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Hollywood's entrance is now on Golden Gate, but it also has another entrance on the Market street side. The market street side used to be the main entranc during the 50's and 60's.