PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On 7 Ball

c.holtz009
12-21-2003, 09:16 AM
What does everyone think of 7 ball? I caught the semis and final of the sudden death 7 ball on tv. I was just curious what everyone thought of the ball in hand miss rule and the game as a whole. I've never tried playing 7 ball, but I'm not sure if I could get used to it or not. I'm more of a 9 ball player. It just seems to me, that if you don't run out, you lose.
Where do they rack the balls? One on the spot, or the seven on the spot?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-21-2003, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> What does everyone think of 7 ball?

<font color="blue">I only played it once, in a tournament. It's kinda fun, just because it's a bit different and because you have a much better chance to run out. </font color>

I caught the semis and final of the sudden death 7 ball on tv. I was just curious what everyone thought of the ball in hand miss rule and the game as a whole. I've never tried playing 7 ball, but I'm not sure if I could get used to it or not.

<font color="blue">Sure you could. It's almost like 9-ball, just easier. </font color>

I'm more of a 9 ball player. It just seems to me, that if you don't run out, you lose.

<font color="blue">For good players that can be the case. If I were playing a good player I would definitely insist on alternate breaks, or I might never shoot. Heck I even ran a rack of 7-ball in that tourney and I'm just a crappy league player /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

Where do they rack the balls? One on the spot, or the seven on the spot?

<font color="blue">I don't know but I don't know if it really matters that much </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
12-21-2003, 11:15 AM
I'd personally never miss 7-ball if I never got to see another game of it played. If another game is developed around 9-ball, I really do not believe that is should be one with less balls than nine. Seems to me that some of the rules surrounding BIH exemplifies the fact that the game is too easy with 7 balls for the above average player. I don't see the fun in playing in an easy format. Make it 10-ball or keep it at 9-ball, but seven? Naaaa....sid

cheesemouse
12-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Having the top pros playing that format of seven ball is the equivelant of top chess palyers competing in PAPER/ROCK/SCISSORS....the game is a joke crapshoot for advance players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

PQQLK9
12-21-2003, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Having the top pros playing that format of seven ball is the equivelant of top chess palyers competing in PAPER/ROCK/SCISSORS....the game is a joke crapshoot for advance players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I agree Cheese but I guess a $25,000.00 prize ain't nuttin to sneez at. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mark wilson
12-21-2003, 01:24 PM
When I watched it the players pocketed 2,3,4, and one time 6 balls on the break. This is not my idea of sport or entertainment. The players skill is certainly not on display but maybe the uninitiated viewer enjoys this type of playing.

woody_968
12-21-2003, 03:17 PM
I am not a big fan of it either. Seems like when they played it many years ago at least they had to pick a side of the table the 7-ball would be shot in after the break. At least this braught up some interesting end game situations.
Although I know it would be too slow for many, I would love to see a straight pool tournament on TV. That would really show the true talents of the top players.

Ralph S.
12-21-2003, 06:55 PM
I pretty much have the same sentiment as you Cheesemouse.

cheesemouse
12-21-2003, 10:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

I agree Cheese but I guess a $25,000.00 prize ain't nuttin to sneez at. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I sure don't have anything against the players. They have to go where the chips are and I'm sure nobody that got an invite refused to play because it was a joke. Who produces this crap anyway??? Hopkins maybe...

Rich R.
12-22-2003, 05:00 AM
7 Ball is obviously a game created for TV. It is fairly easy to make balls on the break and the top players do run out, most of the time. At least it is pool on TV and we don't have many choices.

What does make the game a little interesting is the fact that a player only gets to play one safety per rack and it is ball in hand after any other missed shot. At times, that forces players to take shots, they would not normally take and it brings out some of the skills you rarely see. Although those little gems are not frequent, it does help to make it more interesting, especially when a player is forced to use his one safety, early in the rack.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-22-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>... Who produces this crap anyway??? ... <hr /></blockquote>

A guy named Matt Braun IIRC

His theory is that pool on tv was stagnant and he wanted to try something, anything, new. He's trying to appeal to a younger demographic. I believe the average viewer of pool on ESPN is about 45-48. They want 18-34. Hence the X-Games.

c.holtz009
12-22-2003, 10:51 AM
It seems that everyone has the "Checkers sells more than chess" opinion of seven ball.
That's what I was thinking. I still would like to know where the balls are racked. One on the spot, or seven on the spot?

pooltchr
12-22-2003, 11:24 AM
In watching on tv, it appears they racked the cb on the point with 7 balls racked behind it (2 in the second row, 3 in the third and 2 in the fourth, then removed the cb from the rack.

2shiny2bshy
12-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Hey Carey,
I've got nothing better to do while everyone's at work so here is what I found...

http://members.tripod.com/nvpool/genrules.htm

General Rules of Pocket Billiards
These general rules apply to all pocket billiard games, UNLESS specifically noted to the contrary in the individual game rules.
Racking the Balls
When racking the balls a triangle must be used, and the apex ball is to be spotted on the foot spot. All the balls must be lined up behind the apex ball and pressed together so that they all have contact with each other.
The Rack
A special circular rack has been designed for this game. A standard diamond rack (as used in Nine Ball) may also be used by turning it sideways. The balls are racked in a circle on the foot spot, with the 1-ball at the apex (12 o'clock) and the balls increasing numerically 1-6 (clockwise in a circle) with the 7-ball in the middle of the circle.

Hope this helps, See you in the New Year. OH YEAH, finally beat my dad first try, and then took him 7-5 at 9-ball yesterday. He's proud as hell even though he won't admit it. (made a ball using masse and he blew up like a pufferfish!)

Josee

Keith Talent
12-22-2003, 06:15 PM
The game seems about as dramatic as flipping coins when the pros play it ... but for the rest of us who can make an adventure of running out, it might be a kick. Still would be less likely for me to run 5 or 6 after the break than it is for a pro to run 7 or 8, no doubt.

Sometimes I'll even practice just breaking 6 balls ... then spotting anything that went down, and giving myself a reasonable shot on the 1. Can get through that a few times in a row if I'm shooting decent, but I'm probably less than 50% these days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RedHell
12-23-2003, 10:00 AM
I played that game for the first time with a friend the other night. We weren't playing the 1 safety rule, we were playing all out. BIH after every miss.

For one thing, it's an adrenaline rush. Everyshot you play you know that a miss is a loss of game. For some reason (we might have been racking wrong), we weren't making that many balls on the break so the game stayed interesting.

As for watching it, I prefer 9-ball.