PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Update/ Strickland

The Don
12-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Europe 8 USA 9

Strickland wins and then makes himself look a complete idiot in his interview by harping back to his davis defeat , . Has this guy got any class in himself , any humility, any respect for his team mates and the event in which he is being paid to play in? Does he behave like this when he plays events in the US

The Don
12-21-2003, 05:06 PM
I am staggered by his behaviour!!
Good player? Yes, of course!
A champion is more than that, much more than that.
A champion is a man who TAKES victory AND defeat and who treats those two imposters as the same.
Good player
No classs
and i get the feeling that his team mates and alot of peoiple in the US know that as well.

Qtec
12-21-2003, 05:14 PM
It was a disgrace.The guy can better keep his mouth shut. Dancing round the table? Doing a jig?

I thought Nino handled it well and deserves more respect than earl.

Q

Ken
12-21-2003, 05:18 PM
You want an interview with Earl you will get the facts. What else do you expect? Earl is opinionated but he is usually correct.

His behavior during a match can be unpleasant and ugly to look at but it seems he restrained himself so far in this competition. Believe me, it can get far worse.
KenCT

rukiddingme
12-21-2003, 05:18 PM
I've met him and was less than impressed. He is a pool god but on the rest lacks "dignity" and "edumacation".(IMO)
ruk

The Don
12-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Rubbish!
You certainly dont get the 'facts ' from the earl.
He moans about lack of respect from the crowd but at the same time shows little or no respect to the the guy he should do.... his opponent!.
Dances, jigs ! !! get real earl ...its emmbarrasing

USA on the hill
4 on the bounce take the US to 10 8 in front
Williams v Souquet next......

Ralph S.
12-21-2003, 06:36 PM
If you know you won't like the answer, then don't ask the question. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif By the way, they may as well start rowing. Your beloved Europeans that is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.>hopes "The Don" has learned you don't walk into someone elses back yard to pick a fight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjinfla
12-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Get a life guys. It sounds like you are just jealous of him. And besides, you are doing the exact thing that you are cricizing earl for. It's showtime folks and the people who are PAYING to see Earl and everyone else eat it up while you guys just spout BS. Remember the old saying, Money talks; BS walks.

Jake
-25-

tateuts
12-21-2003, 09:41 PM
Like it or not, Earl is "the big show". You may not like what he does, or agree with what he says, but you are defintely going to tune in and watch.

Go USA!

Chris

Qtec
12-21-2003, 09:58 PM
When Earl got lucky and snookered Nino,instead of saying sorry, he did a little jig! Even in victory he had to criticize the spectators and 'dis' his opponent.
He managed to end a great contest on a sour note. Shame.

Q

Buckster_uk
12-22-2003, 07:00 AM
Europe battled bravely but the US came through and won, well done.

I think Earl is just getting a little to annoying now. Rodney is a great personality and jumps around when he wins as thats what he does, Earl appeared to be doing it out of spite for the European fans which I thought was uncalled for, his interview after was disgraceful (if noone knows, he just walked out in the middle of it trying to act like a bigshot), hes lucky to be playing in this event, and the only reason he was getting booed at the end is cos of his behaviour, if he acted more like Tony Robles, everyone would love him!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-22-2003, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr>...Earl appeared to be doing it out of spite for the European fans... <hr /></blockquote>

Buck,

You are correct.

He does that stuff just to piss you guys off /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally in the Natti

hadenball
12-22-2003, 08:48 AM
Well isn't this interesting after the disgraceful actions of the fans at the 2002 Mosconi. They did nothing but taunt Earl from what I understood, not to mention what I have heard from that idiot announcer putting down Our "Hall of Famers" at every turn.As laid back of a person as Johnny Archer is and he had a problem with it, now you got your bloomers all in a bunch when Earl shows the same disrespect to You Euro's. Get a grip and grow the hell up!!!!!!!!

Buckster_uk
12-22-2003, 08:53 AM
I am sure being from the States you havent seen Earls actions at the 2003 World Champs. He just brings it all on himself. If he acted with a lower profile etc, no one would bother taunting him. I have nothing against any other players, I understand the talent of Earl, no question there, but he just does not act like one of the greatest pool players ever.

RailbirdJAM
12-22-2003, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr>I understand the talent of Earl, no question there, but he just does not act like one of the greatest pool players ever.<hr /></blockquote>

And who is your stereotypical greatest pool player? Earl is a colorful figure and a welcome complement to any tournament. In the States, if there were a poll on who the spectator public would like to see compete, I'll guarantee you, Earl will be in the Top Five. And why do you think that is? Aside from his antics at the table, he is a fierce competitor who shoots pretty jam up (IMO).

Can't wait to see the Derby City Classic Ring Game next month with Earl, Jimmy Wetch, Alex, Corey, Rodney, and the UPA president. It will be interesting to see who collects that $30,000. My money's on Earl.

RailbirdJAM

Buckster_uk
12-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Someone who doesnt moan when things dont go his way, someone who doesnt shout off to the crowd, someone who doesnt disrespect referees, someone who doesnt walk off in a huff during interviews.

pooltchr
12-22-2003, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr> Someone who doesnt moan when things dont go his way, someone who doesnt shout off to the crowd, someone who doesnt disrespect referees, someone who doesnt walk off in a huff during interviews. <hr /></blockquote>
Earl is just being Earl. You can love him or hate him, but you gotta admit, he is impossible to ignore. And I just don't see how that does anything but increase interest in the game. To make a really big stretch here, how successful would wrestling be if they didn't have "bad guys" for the fans to hate? In Earl's case, I don't think he does it for shock value, I think he is very passionate about the game, and doesn't try to hold in his emotions. But you have to admit, he backs it all up with a pretty strong game.

RailbirdJAM
12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr> Someone who doesnt moan when things dont go his way, someone who doesnt shout off to the crowd, someone who doesnt disrespect referees, someone who doesnt walk off in a huff during interviews.<hr /></blockquote>

So the guy gets takes his game seriously. I can't tell you how many times I've heard players "moan," i.e., light cue-ball, wet cloth, table rolled out, et cetera. So what? They all moan and groan and whine and cry.

Shouting off at the crowd? If the crowd is loud, cheering, booing, yelling out comments, laughing, it would be difficult for any player to ignore. Believe me, I know. If they didn't LOVE to watch Earl, you could hear a pin drop, but you won't see that happening. People flock to Earl's table when he's competing.

Referees are the enforcers of the game. How many times have you watched a rugby game and seen the ref make a bad call? If you were the player and had a bad call, you wouldn't like it either.

Interviews are a great media thing. It's good to hear the player's insights and thoughts. You don't know the circumstances of this particular interview you are referring to. Maybe Earl had food poisoning and had to run to the bathroom. It's difficult to compete in a tournament, battle it out, sweat the match, give it your all, and then walk out into the hallway at the conclusion and give an on-the-cuff interview, especially after you took a beating. Timing is everything. I've seen players take a rest room break during a match and get bombarded with fans who want to take their picture with a nice bright flash camera.

In essence, Earl Strickland is a human being who happens to be a pool player, and love him or hate him, he's an American legend.

RailbirdJAM

Qtec
12-22-2003, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As laid back of a person as Johnny Archer is <hr /></blockquote>??????

Laid back?! The guy is neurotic.

He comes to the table,starts moving the balls to different pockets[ potted balls],picks specks of something of the cloth[ at least 3],gets down on the shot,gets up,chalks cue,puts chalk down,c;eans dust from rail,moves a few more balls[ only 4 are down] chalks cue, cleans rail where chalk just was , walks to chair, cleans cue and you guessed it, moves the balls again.ETC
The guy is so jumpy they should hook him up to the National Grid!
I was getting the jitters watching him.

If you cant respect your opponent then you cant respect yourself.There,s a big difference between putting on a show and being downright rude and disrespectful.

Earls a great pool player but hes not bigger than the game.You guys are always moaning about how pool doesnt get the respect it deserves and when someone finally does something [ Barry Hearn]what does he get?

He gets Earl having a tantrum and in that ridiculous squeaky voice he procedes to run everyone down!

A normal person IE Varner says "its been great and the Earopeans played great, it was up and down, brilliant,next year etc. You get my drift.

Earl was totally the opposite.

There is no defending him.

Q

Popcorn
12-22-2003, 10:10 AM
I thought that was what the promoters wanted, a bunch of contrived controversy, the yelling, goofy nationalism and so on. After all, you are talking about it aren't you. You are talking about everything but the playing of the games.

12-22-2003, 10:23 AM

RailbirdJAM
12-22-2003, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>[As laid back of a person as Johnny Archer is...] Laid back?! The guy is neurotic.<hr /></blockquote>

I fail to see how anyone can call Johnny Archer "neurotic."

He's an asset to the sport. He's a good old Southern boy and exudes charm every time he speaks in that Southern drawl. He is a family man who happens to be very happy in life, a reason he feels he's been as successful as he has lately, i.e., five wins in a row. He ALWAYS takes time to speak to fans, taking pictures, signing autographs. I can't think of a better role model than Johnny Archer.

RailbirdJAM

Qtec
12-22-2003, 11:31 AM
I,m not talking about off the table. I,m sure he is a nice guy and he is a credit to the sport but he has so many mannerisms in his game.Its almost compulsive.

Q

tateuts
12-22-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I thought that was what the promoters wanted, a bunch of contrived controversy, the yelling, goofy nationalism and so on. After all, you are talking about it aren't you. You are talking about everything but the playing of the games. <hr /></blockquote>

Even though I consider myself patriotic, I personally also find it difficult to "root for America" in this contrived situation. In my mind, playing pool transcends the boundries of nationalism. For example, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steve Davis' game and I find it difficult rooting against him.

However, I do appreciate the fact that these amazing players were brought together and peformed an exhibition. I can't wait to see it on ESPN this Sunday and tape all six hours.

Chris

Popcorn
12-22-2003, 11:44 AM
From what I see, many of the flashy pool room with a house man that can't even tell you a rule if you asked, and with the sky high nut have done little to further the game. Most are over priced and going out of business. Fortunately there are still hard-core rooms around, mostly in small towns. Maybe not in the best part of town or with a sushi bar, but pool is being played the way it was meant to be played. You are right, I could care less about what you like or dislike. I play the game the way I like it and you are welcome to do the same.

Qtec
12-22-2003, 11:46 AM
LOL. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Tom_In_Cincy
12-22-2003, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Buckster_uk:</font><hr> I understand the talent of Earl, no question there, but he just does not act like one of the greatest pool players ever. <hr /></blockquote>

As far as Earl having to 'act like one of the greatest pool players EVER', Earl doesn't have to ACT like that.. HE IS ONE OF THE GREATEST POOL PLAYERS EVER.

Earl doesn't have to please anyone (especially the euros). OR someone's definition of what they think a champion should publically protray. World Championships are won at the table, not in the stands. FAN like you, expect too much for the small amount of money they pay to see the PROS compete.

If you don't like what EARL does, complain to someone that can do something about EARL. Complain to the MOSCONI Cup promoters. See how well your gripes and complaints are recieved.

Earl makes promoters money.

thecardman
12-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Now, we ALL moan, complain and bitch about the state of the tables, the balls, the cloth, etc. Everyone does that, BUT what Earl Strickland did last night on live (international) TV was embarrasing for pool and pool players. There was no need for him to walk out of that interview the way he did. Period!

Now, I notice that a few of the folk who are 'standing up' (not quite the phrase that I am wanting to use, but the best I can come up with) for Strickland live in the US and, sadly, have not seen the live feed that we here in the UK have seen. Dave Clark, the Sky Sports presenter was, to say the least, stunned and didn't know where to look when Strickland stormed off. I hope that ESPN manage to show that interview next week as part of their highlights package.

I hate to say this, but controversial as he may be and as great a player as he may be, I don't think Earl will play another Mosconi Cup, well certainly not next year's! There are 2 players sitting in the wings to be given the Matchroom automatic wild-card (which is, remember, how Earl gets into the Mosconi team as he is no longer in the UPA, who provide the rankings that the team is picked from) - Rodney Morris and Tony Robles. Both are PHENOMINAL players and both are great characters - especially Morris, who gets my personal vote for the most entertaining player of the tournament.

Just my thoughts!

RailbirdJAM
12-22-2003, 05:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr>There are 2 players sitting in the wings to be given the Matchroom automatic wild-card (which is, remember, how Earl gets into the Mosconi team as he is no longer in the UPA, who provide the rankings that the team is picked from)<hr /></blockquote>

Just curious, but what do you know about the UPA?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> "- Rodney Morris and Tony Robles. Both are PHENOMENAL players and both are great characters - especially Morris, who gets my personal vote for the most entertaining player of the tournament.<hr /></blockquote>

You are absolutely right on. Rodney Morris is an unsung hero, and when he's on, he's amazing. Wonder how fast his break is. Glad to see Rodney shining brightly. Congratulations to Team USA! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RailbirdJAM

Tom_In_Cincy
12-23-2003, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> what Earl Strickland did last night on live (international) TV was embarrasing for pool and pool players. There was no need for him to walk out of that interview the way he did. Period!
<font color="blue"> </font color> There was a very good reason. And, it was Earl's reason. Just because you don't like what he did dosen't make it BAD. You're feelings got hurt obviously.
Now, I notice that a few of the folk who are 'standing up' (not quite the phrase that I am wanting to use, but the best I can come up with) for Strickland live in the US and, sadly, have not seen the live feed that we here in the UK have seen. Dave Clark, the Sky Sports presenter was, to say the least, stunned and didn't know where to look when Strickland stormed off. I hope that ESPN manage to show that interview next week as part of their highlights package. <font color="blue"> You will watch next year, if you can, even if Earl is still playing, difficult to admit isn't it. The Promoters will be counting on Earl's committemnt again. Money has always had it way with emotions. The only reason Earl won't play is if Earl decided he didn't want to. </font color>
Just my thoughts!

thecardman
12-23-2003, 01:00 PM
First off to Railbird. I know about the stuff with the UPA through a small billiard periodical called, erm, Billirds Digest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's available here in Glasgow, Scotland (thank you Borders!) and the editorial regarding the UPA and their alleged treatment of players some months ago was a fascinating piece of writing.

Now, to Tom. Good to talk to you once again. First of all, I wouldn't say that my feelings were hurt as such - I was more embarrassed for what had happened and glad that I wasn't watching it with people who are not into their pool as much as I am.

Also, I will ALWAYS watch the Mosconi Cup! That never has been and never will be difficult for me to admit. That's 10 in a row that I have seen and, given half a chance, would almost kill to get to go to it (work commitments here in Scotland stop me from travelling down to London when it is there).

Now for the shock - I'm a Strickland fan!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've met him at the World Championships in Cardiff on a couple of occasions and he has been more than approachable and polite. Some of his 'antics' are fun to watch, but what he did that night took more than the biscuit, it took the whole damn biscuit factory!

My one hope is that we both get to see it LIVE next year! That way, we get to see the same thing at the same time. We can but dream for now, though!

Tom_In_Cincy
12-23-2003, 02:58 PM
It doesn't surprize me that you are a Strickland fan.

As far as taking the 'biscuit' Earl has done far worse than leaving an interview.

Earl once walked out on a televised FINALS. Earl had a problem with his opponent's (Corey Duel)racking and the Tournament Director. Earl was told that he couldn't inspect the rack (racking was being done by the Tournament Director at the time, because of Earl's inspection of Corey's racks [and rightly so, IMO]). When the TD told Earl he HAD to accept the RACK "AS IS" Earl just broke down his cue and left.

pooltchr
12-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Tom, If memory serves me correctly, I believe that was on the Camel tour in Milwaukee. He was banned from the next event on the schedule which was here in Charlotte.

Deeman
12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Tap! Tap! Tap!, you said it Tom. Earl may be different but he is the first name looked for in the draw and the first most of us check if we plan to attend a tournament. These UK guys must not remember their "Earl". I remember Hurricane Higgins and his attitude and antics make Earl look tame. Over the top? Ever been to a soccer game in England? I have. They tear the places apart if they don't have as many security people as fans.

Someone needs to get some controversy and passion in this game again. It might as well be a guy who can shoot lights out. I thought the idea was that Barry wanted excitement, controversy and loyal fan fanatics. You can't get that with a completely Mr. Clean image.

Someone shut Earl up and we can go back to sitting on our hands and being polite to everyone. I seem to remember they didn't like Johnny Mac in tennis but I think he brought the sport out of the basement for a while. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman (now in Alabama)....

Alfie
12-23-2003, 06:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Earl once walked out on a televised FINALS. ....<hr /></blockquote>Though that tournament was partially sponsored by a local TV entity, it was not televised. IIRC

RailbirdJAM
12-23-2003, 09:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> First off to Railbird. I know about the stuff with the UPA through a small billiard periodical called, erm, Billirds Digest! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif It's available here in Glasgow, Scotland (thank you Borders!) and the editorial regarding the UPA and their alleged treatment of players some months ago was a fascinating piece of writing.<hr /></blockquote>

Cardman, I was truly just curious as to how the UPA is perceived outside of the States by those in the sport. I had not read the BD editorial that you referred to, but will endeavor to do so.

Hope you have a happy holiday season, Cardman!

RailbirdJAM