PDA

View Full Version : What basic accessories are necessary?

04-18-2002, 04:27 PM
I mainly played some pocket pool & 3 cushion billiards mostly while in high school from about 65 to 70. Then I played a little in about 81 & maybe 82. I'm thinking about maybe playing a little again. I'll probably use a Viking cue I bought in about 81. I also have a Burton Spain cue I bought in 81.
I just received a Joe Porper tube type case for 1 butt & 2 shafts. It has two pocket or pouches for accessories. I don't remember seeing these accessories when I played over 20 & 30 years ago. I remember when I use to play, I was always fussing with the tip to get chalk to stick to it better. I bought a gold tone tip pik. And I bought a cheap two pack of tip scuffers.
What else do I need for the tip? What about a tip tapper? And what about a tip burnisher? I didn't like the idea of a tip cutter or shaper but am open to anything. I'm paging thru a Mueller catalog. Am I missing anything else for tip care?
What about joint protectors? I never heard of them before. Are they useful or necessary? If I do end up playing again, I will probably mostly use the Viking cue. I see they also sell towels similar to what bowlers use. And shooting gloves. Does anyone really bring these into a pool room?
I see a TuffScuff by the Viking cues. It's a combination tip scuffer & joint protector. I see a Q-Wiz. It's a circular micro disc to condition the shaft without reducing it's diameter. And I think I saw other special cloths on an internet site. I'm open to anything reasonable. I remember I was always using a file or something to rough the tip so the chalk would stick better. I don't remember using any of the other stuff. But I never really saw any of it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jay M
04-19-2002, 12:28 AM
Personally, I only use a tapper and really fine sandpaper. The tapper handles roughing the tip if I need it (a rare thing as I use Moori tips). The sandpaper is extremely fine and works great for slicking the shaft and cleaning the shaft and ferrule. For burnishing I use the ultimate tool, a dollar bill. That's it, no other accessories for me.

Jay M

04-19-2002, 02:21 AM
Hi Jay.
Do these Moori tips come in different hardnesses? If so which do you use? Thanks.

Jay M
04-19-2002, 03:41 AM
I use Moori MH (Medium Hard) although a lot of the players seem to prefer M (medium).

Jay M

Doctor_D
04-19-2002, 05:33 AM
Good morning:

A good tip shaper, like the Ultimate Tip Tool, should be all you need. Keep it simple and do not over work the tool to the point where you grind your timp down needlessly.

Dr. D.

JimS
04-19-2002, 08:12 AM
I use the tip pik to rough-up the tip. I bought a tip shaper from www.trogdoncues.com (http://www.trogdoncues.com) because it's so simple to use. I use cigarete lighter fluid to clean the shaft and, from Muellers, a leather burnisher with a very light abrasive nylon on the other side to smooth the shaft. From Muellers I also have a glass tube to help remove dents. Works very well. I became a gadget junkie, tried them all and this is how it's boiled down for me.

04-22-2002, 02:34 AM
Thanks again Jay. I was emailed that the Moori M/H tip was discontinued.

email:
Hello ,
Medium Hard is Discontinued since mid of 2001......if you still can get
them they must be pretty old .
I have Slow,Medium and Quick..soft ,medium and hard.

Andreas

stickman
04-22-2002, 08:36 AM
In my cue case I found: A tip burnisher, burnishes the sides of the tip to remove any mushroom, a tip shaper/tapper, tip pik, cue Silk, one set of joint protectors, three pieces of Master's blue chalk, Camel Pool League handtowel, a piece of micro-fine sandpaper, two ink pens, and one pencil. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I don't shape my tip very often, and don't use the burnisher much either. I couldn't get by without my tip pik. Oh yeah, there's a shooting glove in there that I never use anymore.

My cue case kinda reminds me of my wife's purse. LOL /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif