PDA

View Full Version : Did the cue do it ?????

Jay
12-22-2003, 11:47 AM
I dont know what to do???? I have been playing pool for a while and I was really starting to get good. I was really confident in my game and I almost felt like I could make anything. All of a sudden a few weeks ago I started to play terrible. Im all over the place with the cueball, way off with my shots and my break dont even get me started. Its seems as if I have never played before. It all started when I got my new cue. I was playing with a production Sigel for a while and after I started to get really good I decided that I should upgrade to something better so I had Pechauer make me a custom cue. It was awesome and the first day I played with it, it was perfect. Very solid hit and felt a lot better than the Sigel. After the first day it has been downhill from there. Now the one thing that is really different about the Pechauer is that it has a wood wrap rather than a linen wrap. Now I really dont think that it is that big of a deal but what I want to know is has this ever happened to anyone else after switching to a wrapless cue? Its ridiculous and embarassing. I dont know whats wrong. Im not doing anything different. Could it be possible that its the cue????? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Cueless Joey
12-22-2003, 11:50 AM
No.
It's your stroke or getting up too soon, imo.

woody_968
12-22-2003, 12:02 PM
I dont think it would be the cue either. Many times these slumps are caused by small changes in setup, stroke, or possibly just sighting a little differently.

Go back to the fundamentals, check your setup including stance, alignment, grip (this is one that gets out of wack for me), and head position over the cue. From there run some drills just pocketing straight in balls and try to make the cueball stop dead. This will show you if you are hitting in the center of the cueball or not as any sidespin will be visable after contact with the object ball.

Im sure Scott or some of the other great posters on here will have some other suggestions as well.

Rod
12-22-2003, 12:04 PM
The cue didn't cause your problem. You are doing something different. Your lack of confidence and frustration is obviously showing and that alone will destroy your game. You have to go back to the basics which you may never have had a good grasp on to begin with. What you probably need is a competent player/instructor to point out and correct your flaws. That, you will not find answers here because no one knows (we can't see you play) what you are doing other than missing shots. It could be several reasons or more and it usually is.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 12:06 PM
The tip selection may be something you'll think about addressing. I'm not saying that's all of the problem and yet a new(harder most likely) tip might spark your game back up. What tip did your Sigel have? You might have broken in this new tip and gotten to a hardness you're not used to, tips do break in, just a thought. Reality is that there's a fundamental breaking down, camcorder yourself if you can and you'll find out what it is, but consider the tip change anyway. It'll feel better psychologically just getting something fresh and different. If all else fails, take a week or two off completely. That always helps me when I get a "dull" game that won't go away...sid

ausieplayer
12-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi Jay.

I have played against guys that can kick your ass using a house cue...

CONCENTRATION is what counts. You must seperate the Jay you have grown up with from the Jay that plays pool. When Jay the pool player is taking a shot, he the white ball and the shot are all that exists.

Iowashark
12-22-2003, 12:58 PM
My first guess would be to check your grip. It kind of makes sense that a different feel on the wrap might cause a subconsiously different grip. Compare how you hold the Sigel to how you hold a wrapless cue, perhaps that's it. Might also be a different tip. Also, sometimes a new cue brings new confidence. Sometimes new confidence brings new aggressiveness. Just focus on pool as the game you played with the sigel, the only thing that should change is the equipment.

~~Dave<<<sometimes seems to play differently given the equipment.

Perk
12-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Ever try a friend or another players cue out, checking the hit for feel. You provide feedback to him/her on this, but yet your just hitting some balls with it, not necessarily concentrating, or worrying about the result. Yet you may provide feedback on that cue based on your shots.

Now lets say ya buy a new cue. Now it feels new to you, your expectations are high. So you begin hitting balls, and you once again believe its hitting them well, and feels good.

Now you have a brand new cue that hits the balls well, and everytime you go to the table, you are thinking about this cue. It happens, its a natural thing in sports. Buy something new, and ya think about it for a period of time until you get used to it. Now add to the fact that you are shooting pool and expecting good results, you are adding some pressure to yourself based on expectations. As mentioned previously by others, get back to basics, pocket balls and you will get used to your new cue and get back on track.

<--Buy a new set of golf clubs, and when your game gets worse before it gets better, then ya got the same mental issues. Just my two cents. Its happened to me in new equipment with golf clubs, softball bats, and new cues....

griffith_d
12-22-2003, 09:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I dont know what to do???? I have been playing pool for a while and I was really starting to get good. I was really confident in my game and I almost felt like I could make anything. All of a sudden a few weeks ago I started to play terrible. Im all over the place with the cueball, way off with my shots and my break dont even get me started. Its seems as if I have never played before. It all started when I got my new cue. I was playing with a production Sigel for a while and after I started to get really good I decided that I should upgrade to something better so I had Pechauer make me a custom cue. It was awesome and the first day I played with it, it was perfect. Very solid hit and felt a lot better than the Sigel. After the first day it has been downhill from there. Now the one thing that is really different about the Pechauer is that it has a wood wrap rather than a linen wrap. Now I really dont think that it is that big of a deal but what I want to know is has this ever happened to anyone else after switching to a wrapless cue? Its ridiculous and embarassing. I dont know whats wrong. Im not doing anything different. Could it be possible that its the cue????? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Don't listen to any of these people,..it's the cue. I need to check out the Pechauer for you. There was a recall on the joints and Jerry ask me to test them for him since I am closer and have more time to test.

There is a small fee for testing and then I will let you know if it is the joint or not. If it is the joint, then I will have to go to Stage 2 testing. If it passes that then I will send it back.

Email me for my address to send it and the fee schedule for testing.

Griff

Ralph S.
12-22-2003, 10:57 PM
That statement is a little unfair Aussie, and uncalled for IMO. Many of us have played people that play jam up with a house cue. What this person is asking is for advice, not a slam.

Jay
12-22-2003, 11:32 PM
Well I thank you all for your suggestions. I went out to play last night and I didnt play too bad. I took into consideration what you people were saying about going back to basics and I was taking it easy and just focusing on my stroke, stance, bridge etc. After a while it was kinda coming back to me, I started to play a little better. The mental game was a big part because I started to tell myself inside that this is no big deal and to just play and have fun. Suprisingly enough after having that kind of mindset. I was actually feeling like I had control over my game again. After play a few games, I actually started to feel the difference in the cue and how great it plays. My game is still nowhere near where I want it to be but you have walk before you can run.

Jay
12-22-2003, 11:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> Don't listen to any of these people,..it's the cue. I need to check out the Pechauer for you. There was a recall on the joints and Jerry ask me to test them for him since I am closer and have more time to test.

There is a small fee for testing and then I will let you know if it is the joint or not. If it is the joint, then I will have to go to Stage 2 testing. If it passes that then I will send it back.

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

Griff, you arent serious are you???? You want me to send you my new cue to test it out and you want me to pay you. I dont think that there is anything wrong with the joint. Are you sure that you arent testing another kind of "joint" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif j/k

NH_Steve
12-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Was the tip the same kind and same hardness as your old cue? That could be part of it. Maybe the shaft deflection is a little more or less than your old cue, too.

Maybe the new and different feel of the naked butt in your hand /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif has caused a little change in grip, and that's screwed up your stroke -- most likely by tightening, which ruins a stroke real fast. Think loose, think loose /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
12-23-2003, 06:26 AM
I heard that sometimes a person plays a little worse with a new cue for up to a month until they get used to it. Early on I compared the backweighted predator to ww very front weighted ones and found that I used a slightly different grip with the backweighted one than I did with a more front one. So if the way the cue is weighted is different than your old one, then perhaps someone's suggestion of checking your grip may be in order. Also a change in butt diameter could be a factor or not, depending on how you hold the cue.

I know that someone, a very good semiprowoman wrote on here awhile back about when to put the new cue into action. She was facing some tournaments soon, and the general advice I heard was to play those tournaments with the old cue, until she had some time in between to get used to the new one.

I do guess though in agreement of what some say here, having expectations because of the new cue and thinking about the cue can result in some problems.Letting fundamentals slip or else Thinking vs just playing.

Now one thing I have noticed I call the 'one shot miracle cure'. If i pick up a new piece of equipment, I shoot so much better for a day or two, then I am playing the same again, no better. It seems that when a slight change is made, it puts the brain out of gear temporarily, and playing is being done naturally by feel. Then the brain adjusts to the newness and it is once again working on keeping the talking brain out of my execution of shots.I noticed this early on with those quick but temporary fixes.

BTW, a change in tip has never affected me. Moori, talisman sumo, triangle,the cue is in contact for such a milisecond, just never saw the difference. WW and I argue about this a lot. He gives all these reasons that his moori is better and why, and I think it is all in his head.To me the factor is proper maintenance of the tip and/or replacement if it is worn out rather than the tip perse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

griffith_d
12-23-2003, 08:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> Don't listen to any of these people,..it's the cue. I need to check out the Pechauer for you. There was a recall on the joints and Jerry ask me to test them for him since I am closer and have more time to test.

Griff, you arent serious are you???? You want me to send you my new cue to test it out and you want me to pay you. I dont think that there is anything wrong with the joint. Are you sure that you arent testing another kind of "joint" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif j/k <hr /></blockquote>

Hey,....I took a shot didn't I. No, I am not serious. I have a Pechauer and it is a great hitting cue. There is nothing wrong with your cue. Did I have you going?

Griff

Jay
12-24-2003, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> Don't listen to any of these people,..it's the cue. I need to check out the Pechauer for you. There was a recall on the joints and Jerry ask me to test them for him since I am closer and have more time to test.

Griff, you arent serious are you???? You want me to send you my new cue to test it out and you want me to pay you. I dont think that there is anything wrong with the joint. Are you sure that you arent testing another kind of "joint" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif j/k <hr /></blockquote>

Hey,....I took a shot didn't I. No, I am not serious. I have a Pechauer and it is a great hitting cue. There is nothing wrong with your cue. Did I have you going?

Yes and no. I didt take your serious about the testing part but I was kinda worried about the joint but I really didnt think there was anything wrong with it. You are right the Pechauer is a great hitting cue and I really like his work. Once I get my digital camera for Christmas (Santa willing /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I will post them up. Nice try though!