PDA

View Full Version : 1 day and half before my work shuts down until Jan

Cueless Joey
12-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Woohooo!!! It's so boring here today. Nothing to do for tech geeks like me ( I'm a computer/network tech for adult ed). School is closed already.
I plan to spend my vacation playing pool and continuing my cuemaking apprenticeship the next two weeks. I'm one of the few who lose weight during the holidays.

Rod
12-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Cuemaking apprecticeship, where at if I might ask? Anyway have a good time while your off.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 01:19 PM
I got you by a day and a half, I'm already off till January. I played all day at home yesterday and then scooted to town and closed the PH down at 2am....sid~~~one tired puppy but ready for another day already ;-)

Cueless Joey
12-22-2003, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Cuemaking apprecticeship, where at if I might ask? Anyway have a good time while your off.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>
At a local custom cuemaker. No need to plug him here right now. We are a year and a half backlogged already. 30+ cues on order.
I'm gonna have a great time getting all dusty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Barbara
12-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Have a good time CJ and be mindful of those machines with blades that can eat fingers!!!

Barbara~~~doesn't want to have to call CJ 9-finger CJ... LOL!!

Cueless Joey
12-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Barbara, thanks.
There are rumors around one great cuemaker, you know who, severed his ring finger.
George Balabushka lost his ring finger and made himself a wooden one. Nobody even noticed it.
My mentor almost lost THREE fingers on a table saw last June. He's really, really, careful now.

Vapros
12-22-2003, 06:50 PM
In the town where I grew up, there was a place that processed bullfrogs (for frog legs). There was a guy whose job it was to hold the frog in his left hand and chop its head off with a meat cleaver. He didn't have a complete finger anywhere on his left hand.

That meat cleaver was a lot sharper than the guy swinging it.

Cueless Joey
12-22-2003, 06:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> In the town where I grew up, there was a place that processed bullfrogs (for frog legs). There was a guy whose job it was to hold the frog in his left hand and chop its head off with a meat cleaver. He didn't have a complete finger anywhere on his left hand.

That meat cleaver was a lot sharper than the guy swinging it. <hr /></blockquote>
WTH? You would think he'd learn his first lesson.
My mentor was feeding wood to his table saw. The wood kicked back and he tried to stop it. Bad idea.
Better wear a full on mask and let the sukker go.
Around the lathe, you cannot wear jewelry, loose clothing or long hair.
There was a rumor a few years back one of the premier cuemakers had a woman working for him. He was on his way to a convention. He was paged in the airport. His assistant's hair got caught in the lathe chuck and she was scalped, but fortunately she lived.
Only "rumor" though. I took machining for 6 months. The teacher always empasized safety and common sense.

eg8r
12-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Same here as far as work. Today is my last day until Jan 5, and I was the first person in the parking lot at 7 AM. I went out to get some stuff from the car, and I am still the only person parked out there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is slow and boring.

I spent yesterday working on another departments programming issues. It was nice to have something to do. I thought their jaws were going to hit the floor when I was stubborn and asked for a charge number. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r

ras314
12-23-2003, 07:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>
I spent yesterday working on another departments programming issues. It was nice to have something to do. I thought their jaws were going to hit the floor when I was stubborn and asked for a charge number. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>
That brings back old and not very plesant memories. Some departments didn't want you working on anothers charge number but acted like they were doing you a favor by giving you work. Glad I'm retired.

Qtec
12-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Now we know why a wrench by LM costs $10,000. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Cueless Joey
12-23-2003, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Now we know why a wrench by LM costs $10,000. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q <hr /></blockquote>
That has nothing to do with programming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Woohoo, a few hours left and I'm outta here.
Recieved some maple dowels yesterday. I can't wait to create dust out of those dowels. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vapros
12-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Scalped, you say? Goodness gracious! I used to know an Indian who couldn't tell heads from tails. He used to bring home some mighty funny-looking scalps.

SPetty
12-23-2003, 04:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> There was a rumor a few years back one of the premier cuemakers had a woman working for him. He was on his way to a convention. He was paged in the airport. His assistant's hair got caught in the lathe chuck and she was scalped, but fortunately she lived.
Only "rumor" though. <hr /></blockquote>I know her. I've heard the horrifying story and I've seen the scar. She no longer works around the lathe, and her hair is kept quite short.

eg8r
12-24-2003, 04:00 PM
What part of my post would make you think this? I just said there was not much for me to do, so I was helping out another department.

eg8r

eg8r
12-24-2003, 04:02 PM
I love it when they tell us there is a lot left to do on some program, however we are not to charge the program. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif There is no way I am mis-charging. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif If there is a lot to do, there better be a lot of money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r