PDA

View Full Version : Allison's Ball Adress Changed?

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 12:30 PM
I've noticed many very good players line their tip up on the CB away from their intended strike point, most of the times low and to one side or the other, and then hit their CB at the right point in the final stroke. Allison appears to have done that now, I'm fairly sure that her snooker game didn't have that in it, nor did her initial first year(s) here in 9-ball. What gives? There must be something in that addition to the cue ball adress routine, too many super players are doin' it. I can understand getting close to the contact point on cloth for aiming, I don't understand the off center facet though. Any of y'all use this style, and why???sid

Cueless Joey
12-22-2003, 12:58 PM
She's been Filipinoized!!!

Rod
12-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Here's my take. First of all I don't see enough of any one player to know if they changed something including Allison. I did notice she seems to be breaking a little firmer. It's hard to tell exactly where they address the c/b on the break. What happens when they address low is drop the elbow which levels the cue into the slot and hit center ball. Most pro and many good players do this including me. The old pinned elbow routine that is preached is out the window and that includes Allison, Karen Janette etc. It's simple, they do it for power on the break. They don't do this in most of their normal playing game.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Why though during game strokes? I am really bugged with this deviation, cuz these players hit really well doing it. It just seems to me that it breaks fundamentals to inject a different tip placement, and then stroke it differently, and yet I understand that even a teaching pro has apparently adopted it. Do you also aim off of the stroke point during your run through a rack Rod? Thanks...sid

Cueless Joey
12-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Pointing at the very base of the cb, to get centered and aim the ghost ball, makes sense to me as long as you don't change tip location on the last stroke.
I see many pros do this. But, they do elevate the tip and practice stroke there b4 the last stroke.

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 01:22 PM
I certainly understand that, I do it as well, but I don't steer the tip off to the right or left of the aim point. Just trying to be clear, thanks...sid

Rod
12-22-2003, 01:27 PM
No I don't, I address the ball exactly where I intend to hit except for some specialty strokes. A friend of mine does though. He aims toward the top and goes from there. He wasn't even aware he was doing it. Another guy aims low left and goes from there. Its weird and rare that someone plays this way.

Rod

tateuts
12-22-2003, 02:20 PM
It's called "marking off the spot". A lot of good players do this. Bustamante is the extreme example. He's not even on the cueball half the time. A lot of players do it on draw shots - they're marking two inches in front of the cueball on the cloth.

Why it helps them (if it helps them), I have my own theroy, but the explanations I've heard from a few instructors who teach it don't make any sense. It could also be the "Emporers New Clothes" someone says it's good and everyone "sees" it.

Chris

Wayne
12-22-2003, 05:36 PM
It sounds like they may just be using an aiming system where they line up to the left or right on the cueball and aim at the center or edge of the object ball and then swing the front end of the cue back to center on the cueball. Using this system means you are always aiming to the center or the edge of the object ball and always hitting on the center of the cueball.

It doesnt make a lot of sense unless you have someone teach it to you but it makes aiming a lot easier once you understand it.

cheesemouse
12-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Sid,

I don't know about her tip placement, I can't pick that up on the tv but she is now breaking from an American style stance.

Scott Lee
12-23-2003, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> The old pinned elbow routine that is preached is out the window and that includes Allison, Karen Janette etc. It's simple, they do it for power on the break. They don't do this in most of their normal playing game.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod...HUH??? I don't think it is "out the window" for ANY of the top players. The pendulum swing (hinged elbow) is a critical element in any good player's stroke routine. The fact that some of the players are using body movement to try to effect a 'harder' break, is imo, more difficult to keep accurate. Less movement = better accuracy...better accuracy = more action! jmo

Scott

Fred Agnir
12-23-2003, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I don't understand the off center facet though. Any of y'all use this style, and why???sid <hr /></blockquote>Stick aiming, perhaps.

Fred

Rod
12-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Your right Scott but re-read please. I said on the break not during actual play but there are some occurrences of that also.

Rod

12-23-2003, 12:26 PM

buddha162
12-23-2003, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>
The fact that some of the players are using body movement to try to effect a 'harder' break, is imo, more difficult to keep accurate. <hr /></blockquote>

That is definitely true for the women, at least all the ones I saw on Sunday. Their cueballs invariably pushed forward after hitting the pack, leaving them on the rail. Allison did this all 4 times she broke.

The men pros, however, are much more accurate both on the CB and the 1 ball, even with all the power they generate on their breaks.

Roger

Scott Lee
12-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Rod...Well okay then! LOL Got hot on the trigger there, old buddy! Gonna go get my blood pressure medication now!
LMAO Seriously, though, I still maintain that for the huge majority of poolplayers, NO body movement is needed, even on the break!

Scott

Sid_Vicious
12-24-2003, 02:35 PM
"NO body movement is needed, even on the break!"

Finally somebody with a knowledge of the game agreeing with me. Have a good holiday Scott...sid

JohnnyP
12-24-2003, 04:33 PM
There was one shot where you could clearly see her aim point when she put inside English on the CB. The object ball was on the rail, near the top left corner pocket, and the CB was fairly close, near the head spot. You could see how much she had to compensate for squirt. She aimed to hit "wrong" side of the object ball. I played the tape back a few times frame by frame, to watch the cue ball veer off the aiming path.