PDA

View Full Version : Winning But Not Really

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Just curious if you feel funny sometimes when your opponent makes a beautiful run out and then gets a cold roll leaving you a gimme win. Yea I know they roll where you aim'em, still you've had these cold towels thrown on you, I know I have, and I somehow get empathetic. I admit a weakness, I do get a different emotion other than the one I feel when I actually win, and it sometimes affects my drive to kick butt in the next game. Silly I know, but that's the way it happens sometimes, especially when I play the guys I call better than average friends. Common or kooky???sid~~~can't take winning as serious as some, oh well

Ralph S.
12-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Do you think they feel the same way when the roles are reversed? I would say not. Wether or not some form of wager is on the line, a win is a win. I have been on both ends too, as all pool players have. If I get a gimme win, I just look at it as retribution for the gimme wins others have gotten from me in the past.

Ralph S.>would rather win ugly than lose pretty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
12-22-2003, 02:13 PM
Sid, Have you ever run a really nice rack, only to dog the 8 with the 9 sitting in the jaws for your opponent? It happens to everyone. Sometimes you are on the good end of the deal, and sometimes you aren't. As the old players say, you take what the table gives you, especially when it's a gift!

Steve---"The table givith and the table taketh away. (Rev14.1)

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 03:16 PM
I once asked a friend who is a far better player than I( he does not gamble much nor
plays that many money tournaments even though he certainly could, and WELL)
asked him "Why do you play this game?" His answer was similar to mine, "I play to
impress myself." I guess that's why I don't really have a killer instinct, I like to have
everybody in a happy mood. Is the other guy hanging up a money ball what
"satisfies" my pool fever? Is he feeling sorry for me when I do? Most likely not, but
this is part of my personality, maybe it needs adjusting if that's possible.

Thanks,
sid

Rod
12-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Sid you need an adjustment. Go get a short 2X4, now give yourself a whack in the head. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

cheesemouse
12-22-2003, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Just curious if you feel funny sometimes when your opponent makes a beautiful run out and then gets a cold roll leaving you a gimme win. Yea I know they roll where you aim'em, still you've had these cold towels thrown on you, I know I have, and I somehow get empathetic. I admit a weakness, I do get a different emotion other than the one I feel when I actually win, and it sometimes affects my drive to kick butt in the next game. Silly I know, but that's the way it happens sometimes, especially when I play the guys I call better than average friends. Common or kooky???sid~~~can't take winning as serious as some, oh well <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

Your not alone. When I'm playing with my friends and were just having a good social time I use my fun gear...Now if those same guys want to put a little wager on the game they get a whole different gear...LOL...I love to play social good time pool just for laughs but I really love the killer game too...

Iowashark
12-22-2003, 04:30 PM
I've been on both sides and I've felt both ways. Was up on a better player than I 6-0 in a race to seven. I went cold and he came back to 6-4. I just knew he was going to come back from 6-0 and beat me. But at 6-4 he jawed the 8 with a gimme 9, I wasn't excited but quite relieved. So sometimes you can take what the table gives you and be happy or relieved about it like I did, and sometimes you can get down on yourself and strive to actually 'win' in your next match and deserve it. All in the game.

~~Dave

dg-in-centralpa
12-22-2003, 04:44 PM
I've been on both sides and I've come to thew conclusion that a win is still a win no matter how ugly. Look at the stats in a league, how many gimme's are there? No one knows other than the people who played that match. All wins look the same.

DG - just the facts

Sid_Vicious
12-22-2003, 05:28 PM
"Go get a short 2X4, now give yourself a whack in the head."

My head is a more comfortable choice than where I worried that you'd end up having me "adjust" with it ;-) sid~~~were havin' fun now!

griffith_d
12-22-2003, 09:17 PM
I have to admit, that a "gimme" win is not near as satisfying as a run out. The thing about a gimme, even though you lose, the winner knows that you played well and missed the money ball for whatever reason. It could be a choke or it could be a "go for it" shot and missed,..only to rattle the ball.

Gimme's go both ways and it makes for an even match if both players give one.

Griff

JimS
12-23-2003, 06:33 AM
I can't say I feel bad about winning after a slop shot or after the other player giving it away but I don't feel good either. Best of all worlds..I run out. THAT feels good. Don't care that much about winning. Running out feels good. It's about doing it right, playing the game well, playing with ethics.

griffith_d
12-23-2003, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I can't say I feel bad about winning after a slop shot or after the other player giving it away but I don't feel good either. Best of all worlds..I run out. THAT feels good. Don't care that much about winning. Running out feels good. It's about doing it right, playing the game well, playing with ethics. <hr /></blockquote>

I think one of the best feelings is when you break and make nothing and then the other player does a push out to give the game back to you and leaves you a hard shot. Then you proceed to run out after the push. It makes the other person think twice about pushing out the next time.

Griff

Brent
12-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Hi Sid. Well like everyone else here Ive also been on both sides of the road. The last time I had that situation was 3 days ago when I played a race to 3 for quite much (for me) I fell behind 2-0 and both times because I left the 9 hangin in the jaws. I was so pissed and all I could think was about was his luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then I managed to win the 3rd game. Then did a beautiful run-out and the score was even...even-steven. Guess how the final game ended..well he managed to pot the cueball while shooting the 8...I didnt feel good at all at the biggining but then I started thinking about the 2 first games when I gave him his x-mas presents...after thinking about that I put the money in my pocket and walked away with a smile. As much as I like 9-ball I feel good that the main money game here in Estonia is 8-ball.