PDA

View Full Version : new cue...1500 range

snook
12-22-2003, 10:27 PM
ive decided to stop dilly dallying around with this $300 dollar meucci i have and step up to something i'll have until i die, hopefully, i dont think i want to spend more than 1500. i was wondering what your opinions were, production, or custom made? who can make it? i was looking into schon, pechauer, and samsora mostly. i really like the schons and samsoras the most. but what do you think for the money? or is this a worthless investment at 17?

Ralph S.
12-22-2003, 10:51 PM
You are only 17? That's a horse of a different color now. Stay with the Meucci and use the $1500 bucks toward college. That would be your wisest decision in my personal opinion.

KevinT
12-22-2003, 11:06 PM
I don't believe age should be a factor on how much you are willing to spend on a sport, hobby, etc., if you take it seriously. Decent equipment is necessary to do anything well, at any age. Having said that, I don't understand how anyone can justify spending 1500 on a cue. I spent 60 for mine, it shoots straight and I like how it feels. That's really all that matters. They're all made out of wood, I believe most are made out of maple, so there really isn't that much difference. And think about this; What happens when you have a freak accident and the shaft of your $1500 cue snaps in half? Are you gonna get a rider on your insurance policy for that $1500, roughly 20 oz. 58" stick of wood? I'll get off my soapbox now and see if I can manage to make a ball with my cheap stick. Just my 2 cents(or maybe 200 dollars for this post) worth.

Singlemalt
12-23-2003, 06:00 AM
Keith Josey, VERY great cues! I have the Ebony T-09.

JimS
12-23-2003, 06:13 AM
I've got 10 South West cues, all in the $1500 to $2k range and I played with a $800 Samsara this weekend that is every bit as nice as any of them and just hits a ton. Great playing cue. That would be my recommendation but I don't have a wide range of experience so keep asking and looking around. If you ever get a chance to meet up with Scott Lee in his travels around the country ask him to let you hit with his Samsara's.

bluewolf
12-23-2003, 06:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> ive decided to stop dilly dallying around with this $300 dollar meucci i have and step up to something i'll have until i die, hopefully, i dont think i want to spend more than 1500. i was wondering what your opinions were, production, or custom made? who can make it? i was looking into schon, pechauer, and samsora mostly. i really like the schons and samsoras the most. but what do you think for the money? or is this a worthless investment at 17? <hr /></blockquote>

There are lots of good customs out there but even my scruggs did not cost 1500. I got 4 points and a leather wrap. I think that what makes a cue expensive is inlays, ivory joints and that kind of thing. Blackheart also makes a fine cue, although the wait is longer than it was for my scruggs.

If you are thinking of getting a particular one, I would find a way to hit with one first, to be sure it was right for you.

Laura

Rich R.
12-23-2003, 06:57 AM
At the age 17, I'm not sure you should be spending $1500 for a cue, however, that is not my decision to make.

Assuming the money is not needed for school, or something more important, a better option may be $750 for a cue and $750 on lessons from a good instructor.

For $750, can buy a basic cue from a lot of fine custom cue makers.
If you insist on spending $1500 on a cue, you can buy a nice, but not super fancy, cue from almost any custom cue maker in the country.

My advise would be to think hard about what you want to do.
Take your time and find a cue that feels good to you. They are all a little different. The one you like, may be completely different from the one I like. When you are paying, you get to pick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let us all know what cue you pick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich R.
12-23-2003, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KevinT:</font><hr> I don't understand how anyone can justify spending 1500 on a cue. I spent 60 for mine, it shoots straight and I like how it feels. That's really all that matters. They're all made out of wood, I believe most are made out of maple, so there really isn't that much difference. <hr /></blockquote>
Following your thinking, I guess you will never eat prime rib, as long as McDonald's sells hamburgers, because they are both beef. You will never drive a BMW, as long as Hyundai (sp) makes cars. You will never............

Well, you get the picture. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The main thing you will never do, is enjoy some of the finer things in life. I am sorry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pooltchr
12-23-2003, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> a better option may be $750 for a cue and $750 on lessons from a good instructor.

<hr /></blockquote>

That is the best advise I have seen on this thread,
Just my .02

JPB
12-23-2003, 09:37 AM
There is zero chance I'd spend 1500 on a production cue like a schon. For the money I'd find a custom. If you have the money at 17 good for you. But I think there are some better ways to spend your money. You could easily find a very nice cue from a custom maker for less. But what you spend is up to you. Since you play with a meucci now, the cue buying experience should be fun because it is hard to get something that will play worse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Brady_Behrman
12-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Buy a Capone!

Mike Capone cues are loved by many and cherrished by even more. www.caponecues.com (http://www.caponecues.com)

also, take a look at www.billiardcue.com (http://www.billiardcue.com)

Good Luck
Brady

Dont buy a production cue, go custom!

Consider it an investment! If you dont like a custom cue that you buy you can always get MOST if not all of your money out of it.

Eric.
12-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Brady,

You beat me to the punch! Assuming that the $1500 isn't an issue...I like Capone's too. IMO, if you play alot of Pool, there is a difference between an average production cue and a custom cue made to your specs. Having a cue that is weighted to your preference, with the taper you like, with the type of hit you like can make a difference. That being said, I feel there are alot of good custom cuemakers out there. I just happen to play with a Capone because I love the hit. Personal preference.

Eric

rukiddingme
12-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I agree with some of the previous posters who recommend $750 for a cue and $750 for some pool instruction.
I'd also recommend that you try and hit with as many different cues as possible before getting the custom made.
About any cue out there will feel great compared to the Meucci /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif...I know...I've had one.
$500-$750 will also get you a nice used custom cue at your local pool hall or on e-bay.

CarterCues
12-23-2003, 10:28 AM
As a custom cue maker myself you should be able to find a cue for less than $1500.00, that has great playability. Dont always go for looks. I myself would much rather walk in to the room and make money than walk into the room and have everybody around me saying "Oh what a nice looking cue!" Most definatily get away from the Meucci. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dmgwalsh
12-23-2003, 10:31 AM
I'd probably spend a bit less if I were you. At 17, you've got a lot of time to graduate to different cues after you find out what you like. How much experience do you have playing? An instructor, as pointed out by another, might help, and he might be able to help you decide what type of cue you like.

Jay
12-23-2003, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> ive decided to stop dilly dallying around with this $300 dollar meucci i have and step up to something i'll have until i die, hopefully, i dont think i want to spend more than 1500. i was wondering what your opinions were, production, or custom made? who can make it? i was looking into schon, pechauer, and samsora mostly. i really like the schons and samsoras the most. but what do you think for the money? or is this a worthless investment at 17? <hr /></blockquote>

I dont think that you need to spend that much on a cue yet. Maybe later on down the line as you get older and appreciate the game more and get more experience then you should consider paying that much money on a cue. Im only 20 and I wouldnt spend that much money on a custom cue yet. There are so much better things that you can use 1500 on especially when your are 17. You can spend 1/3 of that an get a really basic playing cue from any custom cue maker and it will play just as good. You just wont have all the bells and whistles but I personally think that you should let your game do all the talking.... but hey its your money and if you worked hard for it then dont let anyone tell you what to do with it!

ceebee
12-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Schon or Pechauer don't make a cue that's worth $1500. The Samsara Cues are works of art &amp; they keep their value, up to a point. You can buy an absolutely beautiful creation from Auerbach Custom Cues poolqmakr@sbcglobal.net for $800 &amp; then spend the $700 for lessons.

Fred Agnir
12-23-2003, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> ive decided to stop dilly dallying around with this $300 dollar meucci i have and step up to something i'll have until i die, hopefully, i dont think i want to spend more than 1500. i was wondering what your opinions were, production, or custom made? who can make it? i was looking into schon, pechauer, and samsora mostly. <hr /></blockquote> For $1500 and your list, Samsara without a doubt, IMO.

That being said, I'd consider a Lambros or a Southwest.

Fred

tateuts
12-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Snook,

If you can afford it - that's a question you have to ask yourself - and you want a first class cue for life, no question it should be a custom from a famous maker rather than a production cue (Schon and Pechauer are mostly production cues).

I don't know if you can run 40 balls yet. But if you can, it's probably time to get a custom.

My choice (and it is a very personal choice) would be to buy a players cue in the $1000 range from a famous maker. Tim Scruggs would be my first choice, mainly because his cues play exactly the way I like my cues to play. He has a lot of players cues too - I think they are in the $1000 range.

http://www.timscruggs.com/

There are a lot of really talented cue makers out there. To me, fancy expensive sticks are for collectors, well built cues are for players. I don't think you need to spend more than $1000.

Will your game see a big improvement? No, it won't. But you will admire your cue for, as you say, a lifetime.

Chris

tateuts
12-23-2003, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarterCues:</font><hr> Most definatily get away from the Meucci. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Why is that? Is there something wrong with the way Meucci's play?

Chris

Cueless Joey
12-23-2003, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarterCues:</font><hr> Most definatily get away from the Meucci. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Why is that? Is there something wrong with the way Meucci's play?

Chris <hr /></blockquote>
He's seen enough Meuccis for repairs in his shop I think.
Plastic cheap glued unthreaded collars, broken soft ferrules, crooked handles, etc.

bluewolf
12-23-2003, 12:40 PM
Scruggs actually has a basic cue with irish linen for less than 900(no points etc) last time I checked, because that is what ww wanted. He paid a little extra for mine because of the points and leather wrap but I think it was around 1100-1200. So that would still leave you 600 for lessons. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The other thing to consider is that people get their sticks stolen in pool rooms, unless you take it to the John with you like I do. Getting a cue that looks better than everyone elses in the pool room, is, imo, asking for it to be stolen.

Laura

buddha162
12-23-2003, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr>and step up to something i'll have until i die<hr /></blockquote>

That is a very slim possibility, since you hardly know what you like/dislike in a cue at this point. Another reason not to drop 1500 on a cue at 17.

Roger

CarterCues
12-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Chris when a Meucci cue was made several years ago. There was nothing wrong with them, But the newer Meucci's are so inconsistant. That is just personal opinion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedHell
12-23-2003, 01:08 PM
I agree with everyone here, at 17, 1500$ on a cue is too much. If I were you, I would use 750$, call Thierry Layani and get a very nice and innovative Layani cue.

Then you can use the other 750$ and send them to me for introducing you to the wonderfull work of Layani cues /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Layani Cues (http://www.layanicues.com/)

Chris Cass
12-23-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi Brady,

Mika shoots with one, ebony and ivory. He's also sponsored by them too. Good kid.

Regards,

C.C.~~fountain of useless knowledge. well, not a whole fountain. hahahaha

snook
12-23-2003, 01:20 PM
ok, well, the money isnt a problem, on my parents arent paying for it, simply because i'm not the kind of kid who wants hand outs from his parents, i've got a 1000 dollar stunt bike i ride flatland on that i love, its the nicest bike and my town, everybody knows it, and i ride it like a 1000 dollar bike. i used to put on shows for little kids at churches and stuff and help them ride. i also have i dont now how much over 3000 in my paintball gun and equipment, its not the best around, but its a thing of beauty.

i paid for all of that myself since i started working in eigth grade. i was working for my dad welding handrail during the week while he was on the road, or pouring concrete with him and his partner. and i got paid less than everbody else their because I was the weakest and couldnt do as much as the others. now that i'm older, I still get paid less but more than i did.

i pay my car insurance and the car itself it paid off, i take my girlfriend on nice dates.

what i'm saying is, i feel better about spending the money now because i can get away with it, i dont have bills to pay and a kid to feed. this may be my only chance in life to own the finer things when not much else matters.

ive taken a lesson off scott and loved his samsora, which is why its on my list. but i guess i will start looking into some more custom cues. can you guys give me some websites to look at? but i intend to spend the full 1500 on the cue, because yes, and can run over 50 balls, and 1 out of 3 do a 6 and out in one pocket.

sorry for the long post, but thank you all very much for all your help.

dg-in-centralpa
12-23-2003, 01:22 PM
I agree with the previous posts. If you want to spend that kind of money now, find a dealer in your area, who deals in used custom/production cues, and hit with a few to see what you like. If you're anywhere near Central PA., I can turn you on to a few people who have a great selection of both.

DG - can't wait 'til the holidays are over

tateuts
12-23-2003, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarterCues:</font><hr> Chris when a Meucci cue was made several years ago. There was nothing wrong with them, But the newer Meucci's are so inconsistant. That is just personal opinion. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I know, I was just giving you a hard time. I collect old Meucci's, and some of them are really nice cues. There were, however, some real stinkers even in the old series.

Problems with glues, bleeding dyes, inlays swelling, shaft warpage, ferrules splitting, and so forth.

They do play pretty good, though.

Chris

Cueless Joey
12-23-2003, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Problems with glues, bleeding dyes, inlays swelling, shaft warpage, ferrules splitting, and so forth.

They do play pretty good, though.
<hr /></blockquote>
They do? Soft plastic collars, really whippy shaft, very plastic ferrule and long weight bolts at the bottom of the butt=kaka to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
There's a reason why cuemakers make fun of Meuccis.
They've disassembled them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarterCues
12-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Your right. I didn't even get into the construction problems you can run into with the Meucci's. I've been repair cues for about 10 years, and have ran across some interesting things with them. I have been making cues about five years and have had alot of people to have me make shafts for their Meucci and said what a difference eliminating the long taper has made in consitancy.

Cueless Joey
12-23-2003, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarterCues:</font><hr> Your right. I didn't even get into the construction problems you can run into with the Meucci's. I've been repair cues for about 10 years, and have ran across some interesting things with them. I have been making cues about five years and have had alot of people to have me make shafts for their Meucci and said what a difference eliminating the long taper has made in consitancy. <hr /></blockquote>
Pine wood looking handles, LEAD/weights drilled to the side of the handle, joint pin coming out ( yellow glue ) and weight bolt at the bottom not concentric to the butt? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carter, word is out you make a fine hitting cue.
One real good player and collector out of Texas started to put the word out.

JPB
12-23-2003, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> , i've got a 1000 dollar stunt bike i ride flatland on that i love, its the nicest bike and my town, everybody knows it, also have i dont now how much over 3000 in my paintball gun and equipment,

what i'm saying is, i feel better about spending the money now because i can get away with it, i dont have bills to pay and a kid to feed. this may be my only chance in life to own the finer things when not much else matters.

<hr /></blockquote>

OK, here's a website. web
page (http://www.caromcues.com/)

You may not like the idea of one of these, that's OK. You can get a true custom with upgraded pool shafts for less then 1K. It isn't typical, but will play better than a lot of cues. So far ahead of the meucci it isn't funny, but better than a lot of others. It is out of the ordinary so you might not like it. It will balance right and hit right.

OK, you are 17 with some money. And you are wasting it. Quit throwing it away and buy something worthwhile. Motorcycles, paintball stuff? Please. Buy some investment real estate before you are 21 and your bar bill goes up. thank me when you are rich by buying me a cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
12-23-2003, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>

Soft plastic collars, really whippy shaft, very plastic ferrule and long weight bolts at the bottom of the butt=kaka to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
There's a reason why cuemakers make fun of Meuccis.
They've disassembled them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well, now you've gone too far. Their weight bolts are pretty good. Especially the ones that don't strip.

Chris

Brady_Behrman
12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Went looking around at billiardcue and found this one,

http://www.billiardcue.com/cuealpha2.html

http://www.billiardcue.com/cues/images/capone1875s.jpg

Sid_Vicious
12-23-2003, 02:18 PM
"i paid for all of that myself since i started working in eigth grade. i was working for my dad welding handrail during the week while he was on the road, or pouring concrete with him and his partner. and i got paid less than everbody else their because I was the weakest and couldnt do as much as the others. now that i'm older, I still get paid less but more than i did.

i pay my car insurance and the car itself it paid off, i take my girlfriend on nice dates."

I personally think you sound exactly like somebody who's more than worthy of buying what they want. Plain and simple, you are by what you wrote above, responsible, and I think everyone here should relax on the morality of this issue, and present only positive $1500 ideas. JM2C sid

Oh yea, buy custom, don't spend serious cash on a production, depreciating cue sv

Wayne
12-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Thank goodness you clarified your financial position. I was getting depressed reading all of the posts about how you shouldn't buy what you wanted.

My suggestion would be to buy exactly what you want. After you buy the first one then I would suggest getting a second one of equal quality as soon as possible. Whenever you have 2 of something nothing bad ever happens.

I have 5 cues (Tad, A&amp;E, 2 Schon, and a Castle) in the $1000 to $3000 range. I play with the Tad but I never worry about it because if something happened to it I have 4 others I could use.

It sounds like you enjoy quality, stick with that.

Oh and always disregard any advise which tries to restrict you or tells you what you can't do. If you aim for the stars you may get there so don't aim for the toilet.

dooziexx
12-23-2003, 03:03 PM
I cant believe noone mentioned Mike Bender's cues. For 1500, you can get a 5-point bender with ivory ferrules. His cues plays phenominal, in line with SouthWest and Kersenbrock. And the quality of his work is unsurpassed. Bender is #1 on my list of great cuemakers. Just my .02

snook
12-23-2003, 03:06 PM
hmmm what is tads website? secondly, their is no way for me to test hit cues, just not gonna happen, i liv ein the middle of nowhere, and viking and viper is king. it sucks. but its life. but i think that for 1500 i wont be screwed, because i know i'm moving way up in quality, and honestly, the little things that some of you may find a must or a must not, i can live through. thanks alot.

just to clarify, i AM NOT spending money on more lessons, i AM NOT buying stock, real estate, and i certainly AM NOT buying anyone else a cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I AM buying a nice cue because i can and i feel like it, its not a whim, i've been thinking about it very hard for a few months now. so unless your telling about your cue idea for the 1500 range, dont post.

dooziexx
12-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Snook,
Go to www.indyq.com. (http://www.indyq.com.) He just sells custom cues and theres lots to choose from. If Samsara is what you want, contact me at dooziexx@yahoo.com and I can give you a good deal.

pooltchr
12-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Go to the expo in Valley Forge this march. You will find 2 dozen custom cue makers all under one roof.

Voodoo Daddy
12-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Ok...everyone told you what to do, I'll just say this. Get with Mike Olney in Iowa, get one of his cues for around $500-$600. Order a Jack Justis 2X4 leather case for around $400. Then call Ray Martin in Largo Florida and take $500 worth of private lessons and your $1500 will be well spent.

Voodoo~~~remembers when he was 17 and wish's someone told me this very thing

mike_in_iowa
12-23-2003, 04:55 PM
its jeff olney in iowa his phone # is 5154322511 and he takes 2 years to get a cue. very good, good value. I know that you don't want to hear about the lessons but if you take some high quality ones and do the hard work the next thing you will have to worry about is buying another high end cue. and the guy that said to buy a justis case, he was right. they are the bomb but pricey. check out the widowmaker cases from bert kinister. better value. but justis cases are the top of the line. good luck

mike in iowa

Barbara
12-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Right on Rich!!!

And please fill me in on your newest "baby". I only remember the Scruggs. Yum!

Barbara

Jay
12-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Well its good to hear that you at least know what you want and like I said in my other post if its your hard earned money then dont let anyone tell you what to do but dont get upset when they are giving you their opinions when you ask. You have to understand that the majority of the people on these forums are a lot older than you and have been playing longer so it would be safe to say that they may have a little knowledge and experience under their belts. Im not much older than you but let me tell you, you will learn a lot from the people who are older and been around, they are not all nonsense..... with that said....
Their are tons and tons of cuemakers out there. You have to decide what you are looking for in a cue. A good looking cue or a real players cue. Aesthetics dont always make the cue play better. Personally I would rather have a good playing cue. I would recommend Zylr, Ted Harris, Bob Dzuricky, Blackheart, Dayton, Scruggs, Dave Kikel, Bludworth. I have seen, played with or seen really good player use these cues. Just look around you will find something. Good Luck

Irish
12-23-2003, 07:21 PM
I will put in my $0.02 and tell ya to take a look at Mikkelsen Cues. These are some of the best hitting cues in the game and are played with by alot of top players in Western Canada. If ya wanted to see some pictures of them and get some prices Email me at Lyonspride@shaw.ca . You could get a really nice Mikkelsen that hits the ball as good as any cue out there for your budget. The collectablity of your cue would be very high. My Mikkelsen got alot of attention in Vegas last year, even Mike Sigel took a close look at my cue and loved the design and workmanship.

Barbara
12-23-2003, 07:23 PM
snook,

There's a lot of replies on this thread, some with ya, some against ya.

Basically, if you hadn't mentioned your age, I think more of the replies would have been more directive instead of admonishing your decision to spend so much money at such an age when there's so much more to find out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey if you can afford a custom that's a collectible or will appreciate in value in the next decade, more power to you!! If you fall out of love with it, you'll be able to split with it that much easier.

Just don't blow me off right now, but to me, it sounds like you're a status seeker - to have the better stuff, at least, better than what your friends and peers have. This could be a problem, but I don't know you at all, so I'm not going to judge. After all, how many players in the 60s decided they wanted a Balabushka made at the cost back then which was pretty high only to reap a 5-figure profit to sell it now? And then how many now regret they never spent the money for a 'Bushka when they could've?

I see no problem in acquiring the best equipment within your means that appeals to you. Heck! I was playing with a top cue even before I knew what to do with it. I spent 4 years teaching myself to play pool and then the next 6 unlearning my stupidity with 3 instructors. And at a cost more than what I spent for my custom cue.

Some of the good people that responded to this thread responded with advice that they wished they had known before they went through what they did. Listen and learn. I know a few of them and I wouldn't turn a deaf ear. This is what makes a better player.

And to some people, some lessons cannot be explained or taught, but have to be learned.

You have to means to go many ways. I wish you the best! And Merry Christmas!!

Barbara~~~and Merry Christmas to My Cue Man!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
12-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Most all of the posts are right on target,...your "first" big purchase here at $1500 may be a little much and then you might not like it. I would start smaller and work up to something you know that you will like and keep.

Just as everything, my first stereo was not $4000, my first boat was not $14,000, my first car was not $34,000, my first house was not $200,000,...you work up to those things. Don't spend $1500 right off the bat for a cue.

Griff

snook
12-23-2003, 11:58 PM
barb, i understand how it might sound, but my status is not a big deal to me, i drive a piece of junk topaz, because cars are not my hobby, or my love, it just gets me from place to place, but what i have learned, is i know theirs a difference in quality and play when you spend more in just about every aspect of life, which is why that 2000 dollar set of pings plays nicer than my 200 dollar set of knock offs. i found out real fast my 1000 dollar paintball gun shot alot faster, alot further, and was alot more efficient than my 200 dollar tippmann. price is quality, to an extent of course.

i feel better about myself spending this money now when i have nothing better to spend it on, rather than waiting and perhaps not being able to when i'm in college because i have to pay the rent and my gas and everything else.

by the way, if anybody would like to pay my airfare and hotel bill from indiana to VF i would be happy to go look at some custom cue makers.

i do like the idea of a jack justis case though..maybe, i already have a decent leather case, although if i keep my meucci, i wouldnt mind a 3x6 then. and i know another lesson from scott is a must, but thats not really in the 1500 dollar thing.

if it helps for price range, or if any cue makers are reading this i would like a standard four point cue, leather wrap, pref. ivory ferrules, 2 shafts, 4 matching floating points on the butt and maybe some floating ivory diamonds in the points. i would like it to be a "lighter colored stick. not white, but around the range of rosewood and snakewood.

my email is ezgo58@hotmail.com if you would like to send some estimates and waiting periods. thanks alot. i am open to just about anything.

Keith Talent
12-24-2003, 01:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> but what do you think for the money? or is this a worthless investment at 17? <hr /></blockquote>

OK, man, you asked for it.

You're ready to cough up some real money for a cue without even trying it out, but when somebody suggests you go to Valley Forge and see what's available, you say, can you get me a ticket?

How deep down in that Indiana dirt are you stuck? It costs maybe $100 roundtrip from Hoosierland to Pennsy on the Greyhound ... now, maybe, before you go broke on this cue, you could spend some of that dough and see a little of the world beyond Indiana.

Mind you, this has got to be better than blowing the same sum on paint ball or a downpayment on a trailer or souping up a Honda.

Still, all I can remember from the merchandise I bought at that age is crap I'll never hear the end of: the pimp shoes, the John Travolta suit. But the experiences, the traveling, you always carry that with you ... hell, I doubt I'll forget the night playing 1-handed, bank-the-eight in a strip bar in San Diego after riding the Hound clear across from New York. Or the legal secretary from Alberta on the Trans-Canada train somewhere north of Lake Superior ... or stumbling into Frisco two days before the big quake hit ... dropping a couple hundred dollars hitting the bars in Paris and walking alone across the Seine at 4 a.m. ... finding water in the reeds in the Utah canyonlands, solo, 25 miles from the nearest dirt road ... driving 100 mph on two-lanes across the Texas panhandle on a warm spring day that ends up in a hailstorm ... strange occurrences on two all-nighters in New Orleans ...

Ain't against getting a better cue ... I'm looking to spend about half of what you want to lay out ... but get a look at the world while you can, I'd say. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
12-24-2003, 05:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Right on Rich!!!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
Barbara, when you saw the Scruggs, I had already ordered a Lambros, which has a little more eye candy, than the Scruggs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although the Lambros is a dynamite cue, my experience dealing with him was not nearly as pleasant, as dealing with Timmy Scruggs. That is why I haven't mentioned it much. Lambros is a great cue maker, but lousy at customer relations. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich R.
12-24-2003, 05:17 AM
Snook, you seem to have your head screwed on straight and you have earned your own money. That is great.
A few bucks in the bank wouldn't hurt, but at 17, nobody worries about that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As someone else suggested, try to get to the Super Billiards Expo in the spring.
http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com/

You will still not be able to decide how to spend your money, but not for the lack of choices. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
At the expo you will find dozens of the top cue makers in the country and some of the biggest dealers of used cues. You will be able to see and handle thousands of cues. Imagine a shopping mall for pool cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you can not get to the Expo, you can find web sites for many of the top cue makers at http://www.cuemakers.org/
Go to the member roster.

One of my personal recommendations is Tim Scruggs.
http://www.timscruggs.com/
And he is usually at the Expo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy shopping.

SteveFromNY
12-24-2003, 06:17 AM
how do andy gilbert cues hit? Anyone here play with them?

bluewolf
12-24-2003, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Right on Rich!!!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>
Barbara, when you saw the Scruggs, I had already ordered a Lambros, which has a little more eye candy, than the Scruggs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although the Lambros is a dynamite cue, my experience dealing with him was not nearly as pleasant, as dealing with Timmy Scruggs. That is why I haven't mentioned it much. Lambros is a great cue maker, but lousy at customer relations. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Oh. Tim is wonderful. He was so patient while I tried cues he had made and decided what I wanted. He was withing driving distance, less than a hour, so it was great that we could try before buy.

Laura

Iowashark
12-24-2003, 08:43 AM
Come on people, disregard the fact that you are older and wiser....if you had $1500 to invest in a cue, had no bills to worry about, I'm sure 87% of you even have a cue in mind right now that you would grab in a second.

Snook, my advice to you is by all means do it now. When you get into the real world, you'll realize that buying that expensive of a cue isn't as plausible as it may be for a 17 year old with no bills, mortgage, student loans, etc...

When I graduated high school I bought stock with my graduation money, it's at pretty much the same value now as it was then. Kind of wish I had bought a nice collectable custom cue(of course I wasn't playing pool then).

If someone gave me 1500 bucks right now and told me that the only way I could have it was to not pay bills with it...I'd probably buy a 1500 dollar cue.

jm2c

~~Dave

Scott Lee
12-24-2003, 12:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> a better option may be $750 for a cue and $750 on lessons from a good instructor.

<hr /></blockquote>

That is the best advise I have seen on this thread,
Just my .02 <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...Amen!

Logan...I guess if you've got $1500 to spend on a cue, you obviously don't need any help with fundraising for your proposed trip to Jr. Nationals next summer! LOL JMO, but a $1500 cue is not going to improve your stroke, and therefore, your overall playing consistency! As long as you understand this, there is nothing wrong with you spending a ZILLION dollars on a cue!

Scott Lee

snook
12-24-2003, 01:38 PM
i understand that it will not make me play better, and things for the arizona trip are looking rather well...its already arranged if i win the qualifier their will be a benefit tourney or two. as well as some random donaters that i have met in the pool hall who think i can shoot. so with any luck, i'll win the qualifier and be off.

by the way, i am not sitting here with 1500 in my hand, i said i'm looking to spend that roughly, i'll have to save for a good couple of months and still decide on what i wish to have. then i'll buy.

JimS
12-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Hmmmmm. Keeping my eyes open to what game Snook might be running next.

snook
12-25-2003, 12:10 PM
what does that mean jim, i'm not offended, or mad, i just dont know what you mean by that.

ras314
12-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Guess I'll chime in here. Way I've always decided how much to pay for a cue is the have the attitude it will have to pay for itself. On the pool table.

Tournaments were next to non-existent when I was your age. Took me 6 months to pay for a Meucii, worst buy I ever made. But it sounds like you are a much better player than I was, go for it.

Alex_Delodge
12-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Actually I was just doing research on pool cues last night and I found this amazing guide for what to look in a pool cue, go here: http://www.epinions.com/content_122551570052
Tell me what you think:-)

Mike H
12-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Even if I had the money, I wouldn't have spent $1500 on a cue at 17. Youe money would be much better spent if you spread it out some. You'd serve yourself well to learn something about custom cues before you even consider making a purchase, like what type of hit you like personally, as well as other playability and cosmetic features. Don't spend your money on a Schon or Pechauer, they play okay but won't hold their value. There are lots of custom makers out there that make a great basic custom or sneaky pete for under $500. Check out Keith Josey, Paul Dayton, Auerbach, Andy Gilbert, Chad Carter, Ted Harris, and Bludworth. They all make a reasonably priced cue that plays great. You might want to hit Valley Forge and see whats there. It'll probably only cost you $200 for the trip, and there are some great finds there, particularly if you find someone who just lost big gambling and wants to make a quick sale. And don't forget to see what local players have to sell. I picked up a Mike Lambros sneaky pete with 2 straight shafts for $100, and landed a David Kersenbrock for $200 a few months ago. The more you look, the luckier you'll get.
Also, heed the advice of those who told you to invest in a case and/or lessons. You'll want to protect your new cue with a nice, solid case like an Instroke or Justis or Whitten. And the lessons will be worth the money you spend a hundred times over. You can find a list of certified instructors in your area at www.bca-pool.com. (http://www.bca-pool.com.) Also, whenever you happen to run into a top player, it never hurts to fire a question or two at them. Many are more than happy to help out young players, and the more you listen, the more they'll give you. There are a few great players in my area (Allen Hopkins, Jose Garcia, Jimmy and Pete Fusco, Karen Corr) who provided me with invaluable tidbits of information through the years.
Take your time looking, and don't put all your money into one investment. Invest in your game above all.

snook
12-25-2003, 05:07 PM
my meucci, breaking stick, and case have all been paid for on the table. not in tournaments though, not too many of those around.

Dakota Cues
12-25-2003, 09:40 PM
I would have to agree that there is NO WAY on God's green earth that spending $1500 on any production cue is a good idea. Get a custom cue from a reputable cue maker and it will last you the rest of your life if you take care of it. If you like the Samsara, then get one or at least a similar, wood to wood jointed cue. I have a Capone and just got another. His work is top notch and this cue will knock your socks off. If you want, I'll email you some pictures of it. His basic cues start at around $700 and don't play any different than the one I just got. Capone's also have great resale value should you not like the cue for any reason. I think the other one to consider would be Keith Josey. His quality is great and he's a great guy to work with.

Good luck!

snook
12-29-2003, 10:47 PM
i've got a case. nice, leather. my dog chewed the corner off of my top pouch, then i chewed my dog for dinner that night... i'll get that fixed soon i hope, but until then, it still holds my sticks and i've got the bottom pouch.

jsho12
12-31-2003, 01:10 AM
Contact Al Romero at Hardtime Billiards in Bellflower, CA and he will hook you up with a top notch cue for around 600-700. It will play as well as any cue out there. Get the new joint he is working with which reduces squirt and deflection. I have one and it is unbelievable.

Good luck. You may find, however, that a nice cue is wasted if you stick around an area that has no pool games. Hopefully you have the grades and dough for college so you can see the world.

pooltchr
12-31-2003, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jsho12:</font><hr> the new joint he is working with which reduces squirt and deflection. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I would love to know the theory here. It seems most of the "low deflection" cues I'm familiar with apply all their efforts toward the tip/ferrule area.

Cueless Joey
12-31-2003, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jsho12:</font><hr> the new joint he is working with which reduces squirt and deflection. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I would love to know the theory here. It seems most of the "low deflection" cues I'm familiar with apply all their efforts toward the tip/ferrule area. <hr /></blockquote>
It's the same as the Tunable Joint.http://www.bourques.com/page1.htm
The shaft has the screw that goes down on the collar of the butt which has nylon pad at the bottom. There's a spring in between too.
I have no idea why it would reduce squirt. Or if it even does.

justbrake
12-31-2003, 10:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Go to the expo in Valley Forge this march. You will find 2 dozen custom cue makers all under one roof. <hr /></blockquote>

this is the place what i'm saving up for!,I have to see the cues in hand before I buy this time and I want to spend about 2,000 on my next cue can't take a chance on buying blind and not knowing for shure what it feels like to have it in my hands before buying it,I would be stupid to buy It any other way not that I don't respect some of these guys appions but you know only to yourself what you are looking for in and cue.pictures of cues look great but it must have that speacial feel of perfection and security to make things work!but thats where i'm buying my next cue (in hand) not off any website.

9balldude
01-01-2004, 02:04 AM
I just got myself a new cue for Christmas from Viattorre Cues. I got a lot of cue for my money and it didn't break a grand. You might want to consider them. www.Viattorre.com (http://www.Viattorre.com)