PDA

View Full Version : Downey cues in Cue Calendar

UWPoolGod
12-23-2003, 04:55 PM
I just got my Cue Calander yesterday and was looking at the Troy Downey cues. They are pretty simple but very nice looking. After seeing he sells exclusively to Mueller's, I got out my handy dandy Mueller's catalog and checked them out. Pretty nice cues, nice ringwork and wood combinations. If I hadn't bought mine i might have ordered one from him. Has anyone played with one? I might tell my friend to pick one up. He shoots with a 1st year special edition Predator cue.

bigshooter
12-23-2003, 10:32 PM
I had Troy Downey make 2 shafts for my Joss about 12 years ago and they are the best hitting shafts I've ever had , better than the original shafts by far. I have seriously thought about buying one of his cues as well.

Jay
12-24-2003, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I just got my Cue Calander yesterday and was looking at the Troy Downey cues. They are pretty simple but very nice looking. After seeing he sells exclusively to Mueller's, I got out my handy dandy Mueller's catalog and checked them out. Pretty nice cues, nice ringwork and wood combinations. If I hadn't bought mine i might have ordered one from him. Has anyone played with one? I might tell my friend to pick one up. He shoots with a 1st year special edition Predator cue. <hr /></blockquote>

I have looked at his cues before in the Mueller catalog. Im disappointed in the fact that he sells through the Mueller catalog and from what I hear he doesnt take any personal design requests. He does makes some awesome looking cues though

Fred Agnir
12-24-2003, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I have looked at his cues before in the Mueller catalog. Im disappointed in the fact that he sells through the Mueller catalog and from what I hear he doesnt take any personal design requests. He does makes some awesome looking cues though <hr /></blockquote>I don't think there should be any disappointment that he sells through Mueller. Mueller is first and foremost, a pool and billiard supply company, fka Cornhusker Billiards. Troy Downey has been their cue repair guy for years. When he started making cues, where else was he going to sell them? It wasn't like he wanted to make cues so he sought out Muellers to get his cues in the catalog, if that's what you're thinking. He was already part of Muellers.

Fred

PQQLK9
12-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks Fred I did not know that.
I enjoyed your article in the January issue of Inside Pool.

Fred Agnir
12-24-2003, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Thanks Fred I did not know that.
I enjoyed your article in the January issue of Inside Pool. <hr /></blockquote> Thanks. I enjoyed writing it.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
12-24-2003, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Thanks Fred I did not know that.
I enjoyed your article in the January issue of Inside Pool. <hr /></blockquote>

It's now been 3 1/2 months since they charged my subscription to my credit card and I have yet to see an issue. Maybe they're going for some type of record /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato
12-24-2003, 11:18 AM
I got mine the other day. I'd suggest calling the mag and finding out what's up.

Kato~~~they let people in Hamiltucky have credit cards?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-24-2003, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~they let people in Hamiltucky have credit cards? <hr /></blockquote>

The credit card I used was from <font color="red">Cousin Cooter's Carryout, Deer Processing and Bait Shop </font color> . They'll take that won't they? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jay
12-24-2003, 11:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I have looked at his cues before in the Mueller catalog. Im disappointed in the fact that he sells through the Mueller catalog and from what I hear he doesnt take any personal design requests. He does makes some awesome looking cues though <hr /></blockquote>I don't think there should be any disappointment that he sells through Mueller. Mueller is first and foremost, a pool and billiard supply company, fka Cornhusker Billiards. Troy Downey has been their cue repair guy for years. When he started making cues, where else was he going to sell them? It wasn't like he wanted to make cues so he sought out Muellers to get his cues in the catalog, if that's what you're thinking. He was already part of Muellers.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Im not disappointed that he sells through Mueller. I didnt mean for it come out that way. What I meant is that he doesnt take personal orders on cues only what they have in the catalog. I like Mueller I have bought from them many times, it just that with such quality work from a custom cue maker you would think that he would take personal orders based on request. I would sure like to have him make me a cue rather than one he has made for the catalog. I guess that is what im trying to say

UWPoolGod
12-24-2003, 11:58 AM
If you liked the "style" of one of his cues...basically the same cue...would he make the same cue but an inch longer? Or does he only go with 58"cues?

Scott Lee
12-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Where do you get this cue calendar? Who is putting it out, and what cuemakers are in it? The last two cue calendars were put out by Brad Simpson, of Blue Book of Cues fame.
However, he told me last time, that he lost money on them, and wasn't planning to do any more!

Scott Lee

UWPoolGod
12-24-2003, 12:08 PM
It is still by Brad Simpson. I got mine of ebay for $9.50.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0972781501/inktomi-bkasin-20/ref%3Dnosim/104-8653289-8204700

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3647751302&amp;category=12 92

UWPoolGod
12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Added to what the guy has listed (don't have it in front of me)...

Blud, Espiritu, Pfd (Paul Drexler), Hercek, Barkley (January shown), carved cues, amatuer bottle pool trophy cue set, Cue by world champion de Oro, Jacoby maybe, Downey...to name most. Can't remember them all right now.

Scott Lee
12-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up Todd! Gotta get me one! Wish I had known about this before Christmas!

Scott

Rich R.
12-24-2003, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Thanks for the heads up Todd! Gotta get me one! Wish I had known about this before Christmas!

Scott <hr /></blockquote>
Your a little late Scott. Got mine at the Super Billiards Expo, last March. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a Merry and a Happy. Travel Safely.

sliprock
12-25-2003, 11:06 AM
<hr /></blockquote>

It's now been 3 1/2 months since they charged my subscription to my credit card and I have yet to see an issue. Maybe they're going for some type of record /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wally, I work in the magazine business, and the reason your magazine hasn't arrived is probably because magazines are usually printed and bound months before their release date. As an example, During the first few weeks of December, we were Binding the March'04 issue of several magazines. I used to get frustrated when I'd get the new issue of Pool &amp; Billiard and most of the "upcoming" tourny's happened 2 weeks before I got the new magazine..