PDA

View Full Version : cleaning ferrule?????????

cueball1950
04-18-2002, 09:22 PM
ok everybody.. what is the best way to clean the chalk off of your ferrule...any home remedies.. your input would be greatly appreciated.........mike

WaltVA
04-18-2002, 09:43 PM
You can try using toothpaste - a buddy swore by Pearl Drops Tooth Polish - but it's easier to keep it clean by using new chalk and "painting" it on the tip, rather than "drilling" the tip into an old cube.

Walt in VA

Troy
04-18-2002, 10:18 PM
I like Simple Green diluted with 2 parts water to clean ferrule and shaft. Believe it of not, cigarette lighter fluid (NOT butane) also works great.

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cueball1950:</font><hr> ok everybody.. what is the best way to clean the chalk off of your ferrule...any home remedies.. your input would be greatly appreciated.........mike <hr></blockquote>

04-18-2002, 10:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cueball1950:</font><hr> ok everybody.. what is the best way to clean the chalk off of your ferrule...any home remedies.. your input would be greatly appreciated.........mike <hr></blockquote>

2 words... SNEAKY CLEAN!

04-18-2002, 11:40 PM

well, i'm sorry but you shouldn't be putting chalk on the ferrule in the first place. that is indicitive of digging into the hole in the chalk which is a no-no. wipe the chalk onto the tip every time. look at it. make sure it is ready for the next silly shot you're going to attempt.

dan...kinda bossy today.

Vagabond
04-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Hello Mate,
Any kind of tooth paste does the job, but the Pearl drops is the best. Cheers
vagabond

Scott Lee
04-19-2002, 02:11 AM
Well...nobody posted about what I have used for 30 yrs. to completely and perfectly clean chalk off of ferrules of ANY material...DuPont Polishing Compound! Yes, the same stuff you use to get scratches off your car finish. use a small amount on a slightly damp rag. Wipe it on the ferrule, and the chalk will come right off! Then polish it with a dry, clean cloth. Be careful not to get it on the shaft...only on the ferrule. It works great!

Scott Lee

CarolNYC
04-19-2002, 03:49 AM
Tootpaste,Mike!
Carol

CarolNYC
04-19-2002, 03:50 AM
Sorry,Toothpaste!
Carol~time to make the donuts!:)

Doctor_D
04-19-2002, 05:31 AM
Good morning:

I use Q-Clean powder on a wet paper towel or beverage napkin. Works great!!!

Dr. D.

04-19-2002, 06:14 AM
Soft scrub with bleach.

04-19-2002, 07:23 AM
well, i'm sorry but you shouldn't be putting chalk on the ferrule in the first place. that is indicitive of digging into the hole in the chalk which is a no-no. wipe the chalk onto the tip every time. look at it. make sure it is ready for the next silly shot you're going to attempt.

dan...kinda bossy today. <hr></blockquote>

Dan another reason people get chalk over their furrule and shaft is because they chalk with their cue straight up as opposed to tilting the cuetip downward to avoid the falling chalk dust. Terry

stickman
04-19-2002, 07:28 AM
Toothpaste here too.

JimS
04-19-2002, 07:38 AM
I use cigarette lighter fluid every day on the ferrule and shaft. Works great (Thanks TonyM)

Q-guy
04-19-2002, 07:54 AM
Post deleted by Q-guy

Kato
04-19-2002, 10:49 AM
Toothpaste guy myself.

Kato

05-29-2002, 12:56 PM
also most people put thier shafts in thier cases before wiping off thier tips causing a chalk build up in the slot in thier case which in turn gets thier ferrules dirty each time they put in or take out thier shaft

05-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Thats why I always turn my tip against the inside of the corner pocket before I pack them in their case. Terry

Fred Agnir
05-29-2002, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>

well, i'm sorry but you shouldn't be putting chalk on the ferrule in the first place. that is indicitive of digging into the hole in the chalk which is a no-no. wipe the chalk onto the tip every time. look at it. make sure it is ready for the next silly shot you're going to attempt.<hr></blockquote>
A lot of people say this, but I think this is as silly to say as "play better position" when people ask how to get out of certain traps. Ever notice that if you don't wipe and clean your shaft, chalk stains still get in the shaft? Chalk migrates. It's that simple. The question is, how do you clean it?

My ferrule (Schuler) attracts chalks. And I certainly know how to chalk. For whatever reason, chalk gets on my Schuler ferrules. When I use my Lebow (which has a Melamine ferrule) I don't have chalk on my ferrules. Melamine seems to be good at not picking up chalk. But the answer isn't "get melamine ferrules" cuz some people hate the feedback.

Fred &lt;~~~ cleans his shaft *and* ferrules with a wet/damp rag after every use

bell
05-29-2002, 06:00 PM
Cleans everything! Shark Oil.

Rod
05-29-2002, 08:00 PM
Scott, along that same line I use Finesse-it, made by 3M.
It is a super fine liquid compound used to take out swirl marks on automotive paint left by using a polishing compound. It can be used on the shaft to clean the chalk out. Not that anyone will run out and by a quart, cause it's expensive. One bottle will last through your great grand kids!
Not much help here I know, but worth mentioning?

Barbara
05-29-2002, 08:21 PM
Quote from my CueMan:

"Toothpaste"!!!

Barbara~~~it also helps with sealing small cracks in ivory ferrules...

JimS
05-29-2002, 08:37 PM
That's why I always carry a paper towel in the top of the cue case.

05-29-2002, 10:14 PM
No one here has used Sil-Kleen? I love it for cleaning ferrules.
JB