PDA

View Full Version : Concentration??

Shawn
12-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Hello,
Does anybody have any good practice techniques that they would suggest to help improve concentration. Thanks in advance.
Shawn

ras314
12-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, this is going to sound a little stupid.

Sometime when everything is going right, can't miss and position just seems to happen, remember that feeling. Then just reproduce it.

woody_968
12-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Another thing that may sound wierd, but I do belive will help, is to concentrate on things through out the day.
What I mean is just pick an object, coke can, pen, light, anything and see how long you can look at it without having another thought come in your mind. You will find that you can keep other thoughts out of your head longer and longer as you do this. But the trick is not to look at a coke can and be thinking to yourself, look at the coke can, because then your not doing what it is your trying to work on.

Alex_Delodge
12-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Okay this may sound weird but I read it in an advice column a few years ago in either pool and billiard magazine or billiards Digest. After getting up from a shot switch your cue to your opposite hand and chalk with your playing hand. The article said that this using of the opposite hand somehow reset your brain and allowed you to concentrate better.

As for me, I think you have to make a conscious effort. actually say to yourself in your head, focus on the shot, am I aligned stay down, then forget that and shoot.

I also think if you force yourself to take a certain number of practice strokes you will automatically have better focus.

Good luck.

recoveryjones
12-25-2003, 02:33 PM
I read this topic with great interest as I myself am trying to work on the mental game.I love the way I play pool when I practice as I seem to concentrate well when left alone.My concentration waivers in key matches.One thing that has helped me a lot is a dedicated repetitive pre-shot routine on every ball including the duck sitting right over the pocket.Many, many times in the past I've given every ounce of concentration I've had on that super tough cut down on the rail and have been succesful. Then I follow up that great shot and miss the sitting duck hanging right over the pocket....WHY???....laziness and a lack of concentration.If you watch a pro like Allison Fischler, she seems to do the same pre-shot routine with EVERY SHOT.I am currently reading through two books on the mental side of the game called, "The pleasures of small motions" and "The Inner Game of Tennis". Both books have writing on the subject. I might post later if I learn more. RJ

mike_in_iowa
12-25-2003, 08:08 PM
try meditation and relaxation techniques.

#### leonard
12-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Try taking in small amounts of air thru your nose, then breathe it right out. You might have a 100 breaths a minute but you concentrate so hard on breathing that your mind becomes peaceful and your body takes over.####

BLACKHEART
12-28-2003, 07:18 PM
I HAVE NO CONCENTRATION!!! If a player tries to break my concentration, he's just wasting his time. I look at it as a kind of a reverse blessing...JER

Keith Talent
12-28-2003, 08:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alex_Delodge:</font><hr> Okay this may sound weird but I read it in an advice column a few years ago in either pool and billiard magazine or billiards Digest. After getting up from a shot switch your cue to your opposite hand and chalk with your playing hand. The article said that this using of the opposite hand somehow reset your brain and allowed you to concentrate better.

Good luck. <hr /></blockquote>

Damn, and I was working on chalking in a sinuous, circular motion with my bridge hand, like Efren!

Lanny
12-28-2003, 10:47 PM
Hypnosis came up while playing recently,it's used to help people quit smoking among other things.Any opinions out there?

Lanny

Sid_Vicious
12-29-2003, 02:01 AM
"After getting up from a shot switch your cue to your opposite hand and chalk with your playing hand"

Seems to me like that's the natural style anyway, for me it is. You sure about this???sid

pooltchr
12-29-2003, 07:30 AM
Having a consistant pre-shot routine is the first step. A good little trick is to have a "switch" or "trigger" that sends your brain a message that it's time to focus. For me, it's the chalk. When it is in my hand, my mind can think about all kinds of things, but when it's not, then it's time for only one thing...the shot at hand.

bluewolf
12-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Yep. I do best if I have been mentally preparing myself before getting to the match. Then, using the switch during the match.

Wish I could be that way all of the time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Laura

Scott Lee
12-29-2003, 09:40 AM
Steve's mention of a consistent pre-shot routine is essential. For me, as a player, and how I teach my students, concentration happens at the pause before the committment stroke. This is the last pause before I stroke through the CB, where I go down a short checklist to make certain I'm completely ready to execute the shot. I've done all of my aiming and positional thinking, and now I'm ready to smoothly stroke through the CB. Slow backswing, and relax...let the cue do all the work.

Scott Lee

Kato
12-29-2003, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alex_Delodge:</font><hr> Okay this may sound weird but I read it in an advice column a few years ago in either pool and billiard magazine or billiards Digest. After getting up from a shot switch your cue to your opposite hand and chalk with your playing hand.<hr /></blockquote>

I do this just to keep my shaft and ferrules cleaner. If it helps reset my brain then I'm ahead of the game I guess?

Kato

Stretch
12-30-2003, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shawn:</font><hr> Hello,
Does anybody have any good practice techniques that they would suggest to help improve concentration. Thanks in advance.
Shawn <hr /></blockquote>

Hi there Shawn. Concentration is a must, but not all the time! You'll burn yourself out before long and get sloppy. Reolize that intense consentration takes a lot out of you so learn how to turn it off to conserve energy, and turn it on at the appropriate time.

I liken Concentration to a broad beam of light that you can continually narrow down to a tiny intense beam. At first, it takes in only what lies on the table. When you've analized the layout and desided on the best course of action, you narrow the beam down to the shot and the leave. Then you narrow the beam down even more, to the line of the shot, and finally to an intense dot on the object ball.

One final note. When two players of more or less equal talent play, the one that concentrates the best will win. Practice by making the area between the cushions your ONLY concern during the game. Start by playing a whole game and not letting your gaze leave the playing field, even when your in the chair. Become totaly immersed in the challenge. Relax your thoughts while in the chair by being totally non-judgemental towards what the other player is doing. It'll set you free:) St.

phil in sofla
12-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Before my time, but talking with Dick Weaver one time, he mentioned that during the '70s, 'all the top players' (he claimed) were using hypnosis tapes. A while back, Mike Sigel was giving his list of best players in history by the type of game they were playing. For 9-ball, he named 'Wimpy' Luther Lassiter, and 'St. Louis' Louis Roberts, a name I didn't recognize. (Later found out he won the US Open in 9-ball). Anyway, the story on Roberts, according to Sigel, was that he was constantly listening to hypnosis tapes, and playing 9-ball at the best level it had ever been played for a couple of years. Very quietly, he'd come into a room, say nothing, and win out.

Whether more modern day players have repeated what was going on during the '70s, I don't know. Last September's Open had a couple of hypnosis for pool series of tapes, but the same couple that I've seen. The Dead Stroke series, and Fighting Contenderosis. If it were more in demand, I would think there would be more material out there.

Sid_Vicious
12-31-2003, 02:03 PM
Don't know if this is concentration related, but the Contendrosis tapes stress that you should gather every thing about your surroundings as friendly, lights, colors chatter, people, temperature, breeze from the AC...everything. You'd be amazed how you tense up when you aren't in a harmonious, easy going mood. A threat, even subconsciously will erode your success late in a run, and if you are like me...that's when you can least afford it. Jm2c...sid

stroker6626
01-01-2004, 02:17 PM
My way of keeping my concentration, is to go thru the same routine every time, no matter if the shot is difficult, and have a hesitation last stroke like Buddy Hall, this helps tremendously in increasing your ability to make the shot and get shape on the next ball. On that last stroke, I imagine the ball going into the pocket that I am aiming the ball for, and nine times out of ten no matter how hard it is, it goes in, well maybe 8 times out of ten.......lol
But always go over the same routine everytime, that is the key to elevating your game, and of course hitting that cue ball on the right part of the ball for accurate shape on the next ball.

stroker6626
01-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I can truthfully tell you that a few years ago I got into that routine of going to bed at night and putting the tape on and going to sleep on it, I did that continuously for about one month every night. Than one night I matched up against this guy that was about my same level, we played nine sets of nine ball and during the whole match, I hardly remember playing the matches, until the very last game of the last set, he never won a set or a game in any sets, I was in dead stroke throughout the whole evening, he told me after he had never seen me play like that before, I was always on the correct side of the next object ball to get to next ball, I never forgot that, but never got back to using the tapes again, why? I can't explain but it did happen, and I am positive it was because of those tapes that I used when I went to bed. I have never experience being in dead stroke again, but I was always curious about it, and how it felt to be there, it was truly amazing, it's like your dreaming and do not remember how you played, my opponent had to tell me.

SPetty
01-01-2004, 05:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stroker6626:</font><hr>...I am positive it was because of those tapes that I used when I went to bed...<hr /></blockquote>What tapes? Are they currently available? I've got a friend who'd be awfully interested...

JimS
01-01-2004, 09:07 PM
me too....I got a friend too.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif