PDA

View Full Version : Predator 314 shaft

recoveryjones
12-25-2003, 02:05 PM
I have been reading the posts here with great interest.The topics on "how a cue hits" and "cues in the $1500 range" are something thats caught my eye.When it comes to cues , I say that custom is the way to go and there are so many fabulous cue makers out there.I recently bought my first Custom cue called a Foster and I love it as it hits great.Having said all of this, when you get past the beauty and craftmanship of a cue, I've heard it said that 85%-90% of "THE HIT" is in the shaft. Is that true? Having said all of this,what does everyone think about the predator 314 shafts. Do you use one or do you think they are overated? Do they really cut down on deflection and add more spin etc. etc. My custom cue maker has 314 shafts as an option and I'm considering trying one out for curiosity purposes as I'm allways looking for an extra edge.I also noticed that 25 pros out of 96 at last years world pool championship use a predator shaft.Any commentary on the 314 shaft would be appreciated.

snook
12-25-2003, 03:09 PM
hmmm 25 is not that many, but how many of the top ten players used that shaft? dont really know where i'm going with this, just bored and felt like posting.

cheesemouse
12-25-2003, 05:48 PM
jones,

There is this neat little option of this site called 'search'. Just type in 'predator 314 shaft', select archive and all posts...you will get more information than you want....happy reading /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
12-26-2003, 02:15 AM
You got that right Cheese. Just to answer his question though, I do think that the Predator shafts are over rated.

recoveryjones
12-29-2003, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> jones,

There is this neat little option of this site called 'search'. Just type in 'predator 314 shaft', select archive and all posts...you will get more information than you want....happy reading /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks much appreciated,RJ

pooltchr
12-29-2003, 07:34 AM
I don't mean to be difficult here, but why in the world would anyone pay for a custom made cue, and then put a production shaft on it?

Kato
12-29-2003, 07:50 AM
Do a search and watch me waffle on the Predator. 3 years ago I thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Today, I call it a great experiment gone bad.

Predator didn't work for me but I've got 3 close friends that swear by them.

Kato

Iowashark
12-29-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
Predator didn't work for me but I've got 3 close friends that swear by them.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

To each their own, I guess.

Personally, I think they're over rated.

Fred Agnir
12-29-2003, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having said all of this, when you get past the beauty and craftmanship of a cue, I've heard it said that 85%-90% of "THE HIT" is in the shaft. Is that true?<hr /></blockquote>I don't think this is true. But then again, most people can't agree on what is "the hit" and what defines "good hit."

[ QUOTE ]
Having said all of this,what does everyone think about the predator 314 shafts. <hr /></blockquote>Love 'em, hate 'em, don't give a rat's ass about 'em. That's what everyone thinks, I think. Or somewhere inluded.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you use one<hr /></blockquote>Yes

[ QUOTE ]
or do you think they are overated? <hr /></blockquote>Yes (this is not an "or" question.)

[ QUOTE ]
Do they really cut down on deflection<hr /></blockquote>Yes, no question about that.

[ QUOTE ]
and add more spin <hr /></blockquote>No, no question about that either.

[ QUOTE ]
My custom cue maker has 314 shafts as an option and I'm considering trying one out for curiosity purposes as I'm allways looking for an extra edge.<hr /></blockquote>The only reason to go with a 314 shaft on a new cue is because you already are into low squirt shafts and don't want to have to re-adjust to a different shaft(other than just wanting to try it out) . IMO, going to a 314 or any low squirt shaft in of itself is not going to give "an extra edge."

Fred

RUNaRAK
12-29-2003, 01:49 PM
I use a Predator shaft and relly like them. I must agree with Fred though, I do not think that they give me an advantage, I have just gotten used to the amount of deflection these shafts give me when shooting.
When I shoot with my Cognoscenti, I get more deflection and have more trouble compensating because I have used a 314 shaft for so long.
More spin??? I don't notice more spin with my 314, I am just used to it. I would have trouble going back to a traditional shaft but am sure that I would be fine with time.
It is all in what you like. I prefer my 314 but to each his own...

Cueless Joey
12-29-2003, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also noticed that 25 pros out of 96 at last years world pool championship use a predator shaft.Any commentary on the 314 shaft would be appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>
So 74% still prefer a regular maple shaft. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I used to play with one until the ferrule broke.
Now, I play with a conventional one but a tapered the front 6 inches down to 12.25MM and maintained a medium stiff hit.
Love it and would not want anything else.

recoveryjones
12-29-2003, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snook:</font><hr> hmmm 25 is not that many, but how many of the top ten players used that shaft? dont really know where i'm going with this, just bored and felt like posting. <hr /></blockquote>

(quote=cuelessjoey)
So 74% still prefer a regular maple shaft.

Objectivley speaking 25 players out of 96 (snooks qoute) is not a large number as that means that 71 players play with a shaft other than predator while only 25 do. Also cueless Joey (see above quote) comments that 76% prefer maple.However in saying this out of the 76% that use maple you are going to find so many different flexes, varations and brand names of that maple by so many different cue makers that its unfair to lump all 76% against the 24% predator.(for instance a Meucci whippy shaft probably hits different than other brand names that offer a stiffer hit)What I was trying to say is that of all the shafts being used by the 96 players at the world 9 ball championships Predator was the number one choice in shafts leading the way at 25. In a distant second was Schon cue shafts at 6.I'm not a spokesman for Predator in anyway, however I came to the forum wondering about what people thought about their shaft in light of how many top pros make it their choice.If a significant amount (25) of the worlds best players are using this shaft, it just makes me curious....that's all.Having said that I'd like to thank all the people on the forum for their comments regarding the Predator shaft asI find it all interesting, and much appreciated. Yesterday I was at our local Sunday 9 ball tourney and 3 pros showed up because we are having our yearly big tourney soon.John Horsfall(uses Predator)was one of the pros who was there. I saw many different cues, styles and stances and some really great pool. This is such a great sport with a variety of people with different viewpoints etc. etc. It's part of what makes this forum and our sport great.Thanks and Happy New Year everyone. RJ

houstondan
12-29-2003, 06:57 PM
i know the subject has been beaten to death but it hasn't been beaten to death by me....so here goes.

i use preds exclusively. that's the only sane way to do it. no changing back and forth...that'll make you crazy.

the only time it really earns it's keep is on power shots. the radial splicing keeps the flex consistant, shot to shot. same thing as putting a dot on the shaft. i'm not too excited about how a shaft hits as long as it gives me the same thing every time i pick it up, no matter how i hold it.

dan...the real secret is in the glove.

12-30-2003, 11:07 AM

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2003, 11:58 AM
I have a 314 on a Lucasi, and find that it really lets me get on the outside of the CB for those pesky near-backcuts into the side pocket. I also have a shaft on my Woodsworth cue that does the same. I have maybe 15-20 shafts(lose count)in total on various cues, and these two are the only ones that I trust to give me that shot, and it kinda tells me something unique about the shaft. Since the 314s are manufactured so identical to one another, I'd choose one if I were to be without a personal cue and offered the choice for borrowing one. Jm2c...sid

12-30-2003, 02:46 PM

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2003, 03:43 PM
WW...I have scales and I just now weighed 9 shafts, including the 314. I was actually surprised by some of the numbers, so if anyone wants to weigh in with an opinion why identical shafts for the same cue are different in weight, I'll welcome it. I suspect that the density on the better wood is adding weight, you tell me. All shafts were equal in length but some were wood-wood and others with metal inserts, tip choices varied also. All weights are in grams.

You will see that the 314 was the lightest, but some were fairly close IMO, most were definitely heavier though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Predator 314, Quick Release Jt
107.2 grams

Prestige(McDermott)3 shafts, equal length Steel Jt
1.) 108.0
2.) 119.5
3.) 113.5

Viking, 2 shafts, one definetely "old wood" Steel Jt
1.) 115.6
2.) 110.02 (Bought from Viking to replace an original burguled shaft)

Woodsworth Wood-wood

EK1 McDermott Steel Jt

Gilbert

Sid_Vicious
12-31-2003, 12:13 PM
"the real secret is in the glove."

How's it going Dan? I used a glove for a couple of years, but I found that I do much better(imo) with a naked feeling on the stroke. I also used powder for most of my life up until maybe 5 years ago, I suspect because "we all did it on the bar boxes" growing up, it was there and for whatever reason we all used it. Come to find out, I do not have a sweaty hand situation at all.

I suspect maybe that you find the glove important due to either a sweaty condition within youself, or your humidity runs more rampant than it does in north Texas(Houstan could be a little heavy I imagine) or you know something today than I don't, which is entirely possible.

I will do this though, somewhere around my house is an old glove. I will try it again when I run across it, cuz I know you are far past me in your game...if you know something I don't, I'd be a fool to blow it off completely...sid

houstondan
12-31-2003, 04:17 PM
sid, good to see you're still around. i hope all is well.

just kidding about the glove thing. kinda like, the real secret is to breathe thru your eyelids?!? i seriously doubt that i know anything about this game that you don't.

dan

Big_Jon
12-31-2003, 04:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> the radial splicing keeps the flex consistent, shot to shot. same thing as putting a dot on the shaft. i'm not too excited about how a shaft hits as long as it gives me the same thing every time i pick it up, no matter how i hold it.

dan...the real secret is in the glove. <hr /></blockquote>

Wrong... with the radial splicing, you have not one, but ten different amounts of flex, however small or large the differences are, they are still there, the only way to get true consistency, is to take one of those pie shaped pieces, and clone it...

Thanks

Jon

pooltchr
01-02-2004, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> as long as it gives me the same thing every time i pick it up<hr /></blockquote>

I tend to agree. Once you get used to how your particular cue responds, it doesn't make a lot of difference. Get comfortable with your cue and keep it!

01-02-2004, 01:20 PM

Fred Agnir
01-02-2004, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Thanks Sid for doing all of that homework. It comfirms my suspicion that the Predator shafts are lighter. Due to what I can only conjecture. (Heh Fred - where are you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
<hr /></blockquote>My conjecture is that when Clawson first started doing tests, they latched onto the idea of less mass at the tip end equating to less lateral force to cause squirt. So, they probably started off with lower density shaftwood pieces and have stuck with that specification.

The hole bored out on the front end reduces the overall weight by about 1 gram, by my crude calculations.

BTW, all of my Schuler shafts are 117-119 grams. My Predator shaft that is fit onto the Schuler is about 10 grams lighter.

Fred

Sid_Vicious
01-02-2004, 01:59 PM
WW...I just ran a check on Ebay and my scales popped up right away, 2610gr limit. Here's the link in case you are interested. sid

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?query=scales+triple+beam&amp;ht=1&amp;sosortpro perty=1&amp;from=R10&amp;BasicSearch=

I got mine through my company's surplus store, a nice set of Ohaus triple beams. I actually wanted mine years ago for weighing air gun pellets, because the varying weights with those guys can cost you lots of wingers. I have sense then used the scales for a lot of other things, cool! Hell I've got to get back to shooting,,,another resoultion. The follow through reqiured for the finish on a 1" target out at 50 yards requires even more patience than a pool stroke, but it'd definitely bleed over. I remember that it used to anyway, and I've neglected shooting for a couple of years now. sid