PDA

View Full Version : Question for the junior psychologists

Kato
12-29-2003, 08:55 AM
Why can I put myself right into the characters of a book and yet I find movie characters so completely non-compelling (except for the female terminator in T3 /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)?

I read a book cover to cover yesterday (Tami Hoag-Lucky's Lady) and I find myself talking in their voices in my head. I'd really like someone to tell me that I'm not alone /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Is it a brain wiring thing?

Kato

bluewolf
12-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Nope not alone. Easier with a book for me too. My son at age six was watching a movie, and announced about the main character after a fight in the show "I was him"!

I think some people are more into watching movies than reading, where give me a good, cant put it down book, everything else ceases to exist.

Laura

sack316
12-29-2003, 09:01 AM
the book makes your mind paint the picture of scenery, voices, etc. therefore your brain is actually more engaged (usually) by a book rather than a movie where everything is already laid out to you.The greater use of your imagination is why you can actually become more involved in a book than a movie.

UWPoolGod
12-29-2003, 09:55 AM
I have wondered the same thing. When you are into a book you fly through it and have emotioned mirroring the characters in the book. i find it hard to do during a movie. But then I'll look over at my brother and he'll be tearing up in emotional movie parts, where I'll be stoic. He says he doesn't look at it like watching someone else, but thinks about himself in that situation and how he would feel being there.

Qtec
12-29-2003, 10:03 AM
I think you put it in a nutshell.Well said.

BTW, hope its still going ok with your girlfriend.It must be difficult for her to adjust to normal life, considering her job.

Q

sack316
12-29-2003, 12:00 PM
I appreciate it qtech. Unfortunately things aren't going too smooth yet,I'm still doing my best though. I know I must love her because I've never done so much for anybody before, so I'm not giving up without giving my all. Time is running out though, she goes back on the 2nd and then it will be a few more months before I get to see her again. Keep on wishing me luck!