PDA

View Full Version : cue tip size VS ball size

04-19-2002, 12:59 AM
Greetings,

I live in Sydney, Australia where unfortunately 99 out of 100 tables are 7' bar box's with 2 1/4" balls. As a consequence, everyone I know who has their own cue plays with snooker cues with 9-11mm tips being the average. I have spoken to many people and they are of the opinion that the smaller tips are more appropriate for the smaller table and ball size.

However I am really attracted to the Predator 314 shaft and its reduced deflection properties, but they only come with a tip size of 12 3/4mm. I assume that the tip size is designed to be used with full sized 2 3/4" balls.

Should I be sticking to the smaller sized tips for the bar box's or could I get by with a Predator shaft? I guess I am really hoping to hear from someone who plays on 9 footers normally and occasionally gets on a box box with the same cue (hopefully a predator even).

Thanks for all your advice.

04-19-2002, 01:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ozzy8:</font><hr> Greetings,

I live in Sydney, Australia where unfortunately 99 out of 100 tables are 7' bar box's with 2 1/4" balls. As a consequence, everyone I know who has their own cue plays with snooker cues with 9-11mm tips being the average. I have spoken to many people and they are of the opinion that the smaller tips are more appropriate for the smaller table and ball size.

However I am really attracted to the Predator 314 shaft and its reduced deflection properties, but they only come with a tip size of 12 3/4mm. I assume that the tip size is designed to be used with full sized 2 3/4" balls.

Should I be sticking to the smaller sized tips for the bar box's or could I get by with a Predator shaft? I guess I am really hoping to hear from someone who plays on 9 footers normally and occasionally gets on a box box with the same cue (hopefully a predator even).

Thanks for all your advice.

<hr></blockquote>

Ozzy - 7' bar tables here in the states do have 2-1/4" balls as do the larger 9'ers.

I think you may possibly have your measurements askew.

american pool ball- 2 1/4"
american snooker ball- 2 1/8"
english snooker ball- 2 1/16"
english bar pool ball- 2 1/16"

I'm going to assume that your bar tables down under have 2 1/16" balls.And ... that you would probably have a far more difficult time applying side,draw,or top to these small balls with such a large tip.

American pool is gaining popularity all over the globe.Your Joel Younger(sp?)is quite a player and adapted well to the bigger balls on the 9' tables.I can't recall what tip size that he played with,knowing that he is a snooker player but was impressed with his 9-ball abilities.

In Cardiff on the other hand, I witnessed an english snooker player(Chris Melling?) playing american pool(2 1/4" balls) with a 9mm tip attached to a 12oz cue.Not a misprint - a 12 oz cue.

So whatever is your fancy.Hope this helps

04-19-2002, 01:48 AM
Whoops - I knew I should have checked those sizes before posting - I hope everyone understands what I am talking about then. Beware the dangers of mixing metric and imperial.

04-19-2002, 02:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ozzy8:</font><hr> Whoops - I knew I should have checked those sizes before posting - I hope everyone understands what I am talking about then. Beware the dangers of mixing metric and imperial. <hr></blockquote>

No problem.I just started thinking about how large a 2 3/4" ball would be ;o)

I knew what you meant being familiar with the 2 1/16" balls and tables.

I also should have mentioned that the english snooker player was playing top notch pool with odd spec'd equipment.That was my intent.

Have a good one ...

TonyM
04-19-2002, 10:50 AM
It has already been pointed out that you have the ball sizes off a bit! I've seen English bar tables with 1.875" (47.6 mm)diameter cue balls with 2.0625" (52.3 mm)diameter object balls!.
Here in Canada, the typical Snooker ball size for Super Crystalates is 2.125" (54.0 mm) diameter while pool tables use balls of 2.25" (57.15 mm).

Typical tip sizes for Snooker are 10.0 mm and for pool 12.75 mm respectively.

If you intend to use a Predator shaft for balls that are 54.0 mm diameter or smaller, I think that it will be a poor choice. First off, a smaller tip diameter will allow for a more precise tip placement with the smaller balls. Also the squirt characteristics (deflection is a poor term imo) are dependant on the ratio of the ball mass (not the diameter) to the effective endmass of the shaft. Since the Predator was designed to be used with a pool ball (6 ounce or 170.5 gm) the smaller mass of the Australian bar pool ball will not produce the low squirt that you are expecting. Believe it or not, a standard 9.0 mm Snooker shaft (in Ash) will likely produce less squirt with the small balls than the Predator shaft. This is because the tiny tip and ferrule of the snooker cue already has a very low effective end mass.

Predator are working on a very low squirt snooker shaft. Perhaps you should wait until this is available?

In the meantime, I suggest that if you intend to play mostly with the small, lightweight balls, that you use an appropriate cue - and English Snooker cue.

Regards,

Tony

TalismanTony
04-21-2002, 04:22 AM
Hi Ozzy8,

I make cue tips and its a problem. Some one should just ban the smaller ball pool game and everyone play on US style/size tables. Where this happens, UK, Australia etc, I am pretty sure its because snooker was a more popular game before pool arrived. When pool started becoming popular in the UK, I think the smaller scale snooker tables were used instead of adopting the US style as they were available already from snooker table manufacturers.

Getting back to your original question. Last year I took one of my cues with me to the UK to visit our distributor, this guy has a table at home and we played for a few hours. I am not sure what size it was but it was small balls, yellows and reds instead of solids and stripes. I played about three shots with my Coker cue (I think 13mm +) before I had to stop and use one of his house cues. You cannot use a wide diameter cue (tip) if the balls are small. Just can't control the cue ball properly if the tip diameter is too large.

kind regards,