PDA

View Full Version : Out of GAs

irunrax
12-30-2003, 03:44 PM
I have a problem with marathon pool sessions. Have you ever overstayed your time at the table? Let me explain: I shoot great for about three to four hours, but when i start to get fatigued my game falls off. I try to stay focused, to slow down at the table, to look at all my options, but to no avail. I over hit one shot and then under hit the next, running out to the eight only to over hit and freeze the cue on the nine. I left after that game, when i should have left two hours earlier.

Sid_Vicious
12-30-2003, 03:53 PM
The addiction of playing has surely cost me big bucks(my standard anyway.) I get to the PH around 2pm and most always shoot until 7-10pm, depending on if I get gambling late in the day. It has been the norm recently to shoot well past midnight, 2am not uncommon, and I definetely go downhill, not bad for an old guy. Now if I can only find a way to quit when I should, I'd save embarrasment and cash...sid

Popcorn
12-30-2003, 04:44 PM
You did not say if you were playing the same player for the whole time. If you are, Then it may become a contest as to who can out last the other. Even at my age, I like to play long sessions. The longer it gets, if we are around even, the more I feel like a favorite. You have to pace yourself, playing with a lot of intensity all the time can burn you out. Even if you are winning, he may grind it all back. At some point one of the players will begin to falter, if the other player can jump on it, he will finish off the now weak player. Time is interesting when you are gambling at pool. Even against a better player you may win given enough time. You can be behind from the first rack and just plain wear out the other player. If you are forcing him to have to consistently play his best to stay ahead of you, he may not be able to keep it up. Pressure will take it's toll even on the guy that is winning, especially if he knows you are that kind of player that won't quit. He has nothing to look forward to but a tough game, it is important he be made to know that.

Pelican
12-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Kind of a play on the old Kenny Rogers song - Ya Got to know When to Break the Balls and Know when to Breakdown yer Cue" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

irunrax
12-30-2003, 10:37 PM
I began playing with a friend of mine and my intentions where to leave when he left, as we have similar work schedules. But on what would have been the second to last game another guy asked if he could jump in. He had just arrived and although i had seen him before, i had never shot against him. We played for about two hours, no money. I did not shoot bad, i would open the deal, negotiate it, but could not close on it. Thanks for the replies.

CarolNYC
12-31-2003, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but when i start to get fatigued <hr /></blockquote>
Hi there,
Maybe if you supply your body with some carbohydrate-rich foods (pasta,potatoes,rice,fruits)before you play, your body will produce the energy you need!And tuna is a good protein!
Just a thought!
Carol

Iowashark
12-31-2003, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
but when i start to get fatigued <hr /></blockquote>
Hi there,
Maybe if you supply your body with some carbohydrate-rich foods (pasta,potatoes,rice,fruits)before you play, your body will produce the energy you need!And tuna is a good protein!
Just a thought!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Well that just wouldn't be Atkins friendly, now would it.

~~Just 12 out of 40 pounds to go before I can have a nice piece of toast.

dmgwalsh
12-31-2003, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Iowashark:</font><hr>

Well that just wouldn't be Atkins friendly, now would it.

~~Just 12 out of 40 pounds to go before I can have a nice piece of toast. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm starting one tomorrow. oh joy!

DoomCue
12-31-2003, 01:04 PM
Just to add a small note, don't eat too soon before playing. In other words, give yourself time to digest your food. Of the five senses, the one most affected by eating is hearing. I remember that statement from Biochemistry I, but I don't remember the reason. I think it's due to a lessening of blood flow to the head (more blood is directed to the stomach for digestion), but I'm not positive. Anyway, this in turn tends to diminish the sense of balance, which can cause bad things to happen at the table (harder to keep in alignment, head angles can change, etc.). I would suggest waiting about an hour after eating before you play any pool, and as someone said earlier, don't eat too much.

-djb

CarolNYC
12-31-2003, 02:44 PM
Sounds good to me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
12-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Hmmmmm, sorry about that-I didnt think of diets!:(
But congratulations on only having 12 lbs. to go-good for you!
Take care!
Carol