PDA

View Full Version : Chewing gum while shooting?

phil in sofla
12-31-2003, 11:56 AM
I'm not normally a gum chewer (I just suck on a stick of gum). Ok, I don't do that either.

Recently, happening to be chewing gum while shooting, it seems that it had a helpful effect, maybe distracting the thinking mind or something, and aiding in non-verbal concentration.

Think that's possible? Or would furiously chewing gum be itself a distraction from shooting?

Who chews (gum, not snuff) while shooting, and do you stop during your pre-shot routine or keep at it?

While I'm at it, how about snuff, with the same questions?

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2003, 12:08 PM
I use gum occasionally. I don't think it ever interferred with my game. I do remember not chewing during my pre-strokes.

Iowashark
12-31-2003, 12:42 PM
I use chewing tobacco when shooting, mostly because it keeps my drinking down quite a bit. Never tried gum, but I don't really see how either could be helpful, I do see how maybe gum could be a bit distracting though. I guess it depends on how breakable your focus is.

cheesemouse
12-31-2003, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> I'm not normally a gum chewer (I just suck on a stick of gum). Ok, I don't do that either.

Recently, happening to be chewing gum while shooting, it seems that it had a helpful effect, maybe distracting the thinking mind or something, and aiding in non-verbal concentration.

Think that's possible? Or would furiously chewing gum be itself a distraction from shooting?

Who chews (gum, not snuff) while shooting, and do you stop during your pre-shot routine or keep at it?

While I'm at it, how about snuff, with the same questions? <hr /></blockquote>

Phil,

This is not a crazy as it may seem, the gum chewing as a distraction for the mind. If you subscribe to the sport phyco babble of 'letting your perfect body go', refering to the trained muscle memory you possess and the use there of, then the chewing of gum could be used as devise/trigger to allow that separation of mind/body.

Just for kicks try this. Chew the gum while in the up(thinking) position then balance the gum on your tongue when you start the down (shooting ) postition. This conscious awareness of balancing the gum will allow the trained body to do its thing, that which you just decided on in the up thinking position, without letting your stupid ass conscious mind messing with the shot in the down position......hehehheee.....I just reread this post.....but seriously, if you are nervous/keyed up or otherwise skittish the simple act of relaxing the tongue relaxes the whole muscle system of the body. Your body can't go into RED ALERT while the tongue is relaxed......

Do you think this is this bull$hit??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DoomCue
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Nick Varner chews gum furiously when playing. I've also seen Mika and Chamat chew gum while playing (but IIRC, I think they were just practicing, not in a tournament match). Personally, I prefer not to have anything in my mouth when shooting, as it might cause me to move my head while chewing, especially since I play with my chin right on the cue. Just as with everything else in pool, though, to each his own.

-djb

12-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Phil... actually it's not uncommon for many players while focusing in on their shot to concentrate so intently on aiming that they will inadvertantly hold their breath. Needless to say not breathing can have a negative impact on your ability to focus. Chewing gum while aiming not only can more relax a player but simultaniously makes it impossible to unconsciously hold your breath. I already have enough things people think me unconscious about... I don't need one more /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. ...Bob

9 Ball Girl
12-31-2003, 01:58 PM
I chew gum while I shoot. I don't even know if I stop chewing right at the preshot and shoot routine or what. I also suck on lollipops too.

phil in sofla
12-31-2003, 02:45 PM
Prolly bs, but of the sort that might placebo effect some to better performance. I see the future of pool instructors advising this, with special emphasis on getting the brands of gum the pros use, LOL! (I was looking into which brand of cigarettes Efren smoked, and then he quit.)

Big_Jon
12-31-2003, 04:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> I'm not normally a gum chewer (I just suck on a stick of gum). Ok, I don't do that either.

While I'm at it, how about snuff, with the same questions? <hr /></blockquote>

You don't chew snuff... it's placed between the gum and lip of your lower jaw, you chew "chaw" at least that's what i've always heard...

JimS
12-31-2003, 05:20 PM
I would think that chewing gum might relieve stress and that it might also help your game.

Chewing while standing, whether while wating for your turn would probably relieve stress, especially if you were consciously doing something with the gum.

When it's time to get down on the shot that would be the time to stop chewing and this could be a signal for your sub-conscious shooting skills to take over.

The problem I'd have it that I'd become dependent on the chewing and wouldn't be able to shoot well without it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

griffith_d
12-31-2003, 05:50 PM
I chew gum again and it helps my game,..it gets my adrenaline going and gives me a clear head. I chew furiously before shooting and just when I get down to shoot, all stops, gum either on top or under tongue and then shoot.

They even advertise that gum gives you a lift,...it does for me and always has. I used to chew gum 25 years ago when I first started playing pool and became a hustler and as of 6 months ago I remembered that I chewed gum.

Since I started again my game has improved. I never yawn anymore.

Griff

Mr. Blonde
12-31-2003, 07:19 PM
I used to dip snuff,but I didn't do it when I was playing pool because the need to go and spit would break up my rhythm. I sometimes chew gum (Wrigley's Spearmint or Bazooka). What brand of gum do all of the other gum chewers here chew ? What brand does Nick Varner chew?

JimS
12-31-2003, 08:56 PM
I don't know but I'll bet if we can find out we can all shoot just like Nick! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mr. Blonde
12-31-2003, 09:46 PM
Just to clarify, I wasn't wanting to know what kinda gum Varner chewed so I could copy him. I was just curious.

9balldude
01-01-2004, 02:07 AM
I could never chew gum and shoot pool.

Alfie
01-01-2004, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr. Blonde:</font><hr> What brand does Nick Varner chew? <hr /></blockquote>I'd guess Nicorette. For the extra kick.

Paul_Mon
01-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi Phil,

Happy New Year. I buy pure licorice trunks from Sicily. These are somewhat of an aquired taste for most people but I'm crazy for them. There are many brands available and some are licorice and menthol. I Use Leone brand. I also keep Halls Menthol cough drops in my cue case. Sometimes it is good to clear the head with the shot of menthol vapors.

Paul Mon

Qtec
01-01-2004, 10:58 AM
I dont think its BS. In fact,I think there is definately something in what you say.
I did Tai Chi for a few years.[ Its the martial art where they look like they are moving in slow motion.] The 'dance' is called the'Form'.[A series of co-ordinated movements based on a set of principals and a phylosophy.]

When learning the various positions, the tip of your tongue should be touching your pallete,at a point just behind the front teeth! They call it a focus point.

There is also a cult in India that transforms people [ addicts etc]through a form of meditation.In this case it involves just sitting and concentrateing on the tip of your nose when you breathe in.After a week or so, all the noise in the mind is gone, there is quiet.

When you have just one thought, the mind quietens down.

Basically you are concentrateing on something else other than what you are doing, which in turn lets you [ in this context] play pool unconsiously.
A state of mind that commonly is reffered to as 'The Zone'.

Qtec

JimS
01-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes. This is the type of thing I was trying to say (poorly!) when I talked about the transition from standing/planning and getting down on the shot/doing and thinking that chewing gum and not chewing gum or stopping the chewing might trigger the "doing" part of the mind to take over and shoot the shot.

execKoopa
01-01-2004, 12:47 PM
I chew gum all the time and sometimes while playing pool, but I haven't really noticed a difference with or without the gum.

pooltchr
01-02-2004, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> with special emphasis on getting the brands of gum the pros use, LOL! <hr /></blockquote>

You might have something here. I can see a future for the Wrigley's National 10-ball tour! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

01-02-2004, 01:31 PM

pooltchr
01-02-2004, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> the ladies flock to him and his teams always had beautiful women on them (at least in the Magic Cue). <hr /></blockquote>

That would explain the grin!

Big Dave
01-04-2004, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>
Just for kicks try this. Chew the gum while in the up(thinking) position then balance the gum on your tongue when you start the down (shooting ) postition. This conscious awareness of balancing the gum will allow the trained body to do its thing... <hr /></blockquote>

Well... Thanks for that then!!! I managed to make myself look as stupid as I really am, by missing a straight 9 ball yesterday! Unsuccessfully attempting to balance a piece chewing gum on my tongue at the same time!!!

This really happened!!! What an idiot!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously though... Isn't mint flavoured tea recommended, by herbalists, to improve concentration? And isn't most chewing gum mint flavoured???

cheesemouse
01-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Haahaaaaaahaaa Dave,

I hope you managed to keep the gum on your tongue while missing the cheese...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ryushen21
01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
I am actually one of the people who does this regularly while i play. It all started when i quit smoking and was using gum to prevent that while i was in the pool hall. I've actually found that it helps out with my game quite a bit. it takes away that over-focus that can cause me to miss easy shots. so maybe that sports pysch stuff isn't so crazy after all.

SpiderMan
01-05-2004, 03:30 PM
I used to chew gum while shooting. Several years ago I was playing in a tournament, chewing gum, down over a shot, when (unexpectedly) I had to jump up and sneeze. My ejected gumwad landed in the open mouth of one very surprised railbird. I still can't play and chew gum, makes me laugh and messes up my concentration.

SpiderMan