PDA

View Full Version : what am i doing wrong?

ray
12-31-2003, 02:37 PM
i have been playing pool for about 3 years, and consider myself a pretty good player. alot of the guys are amazed that i have only been playing for as long as i have.

my one problem is that when i play in tournaments i ALWAYS lose my first game. and i mean ALWAYS!

could it be that i need a game to get used to my surroundings or is it just nerves?

also, i have been reading the posts on this board for about 3-4 weeks now and alot of the techniques that you guys have discussed have improved my game.

any advice would be appreciated.

ray

Iowashark
12-31-2003, 02:44 PM
I think perhaps you need to be more specific. Do you mean just the first game, or the whole match? Lot's of times I'll stall a bit in the first game to get a feel for how the other player shoots, how he/she reacts to safe play, long shots, bank shots, etc... This often costs me the first game of the match, but is usually beneficial in the long run. If you're losing the entire match it's probably nerves. I would suggest matching up against a weaker player/friend before the tournament to get some money balls pocketed and increase your confidence level. If you're missing balls you usually make, that means you're unsure of your stroke. These are just some things that help me out, others will probably offer some better advice.

kunin
12-31-2003, 02:45 PM
Could be psychological.You might be so stressed because it's the first game you can't relax and "play your game".There's a lot of things you can try meditation,however for me it's just a matter of coming out of the gate as strong and controlled as possible.JMHO

ray
12-31-2003, 02:47 PM
well, it is just the first game, i usually lose that one and either win or come in second in the tourney.

but i never lose more than that one game.

it's become a running joke between me and my friends.

ray

Sid_Vicious
12-31-2003, 03:00 PM
ray...I have your answer, stole it from a pool help tape really. The thing is that you AND the other guy have a mental block about the first game, think back and ask yourself if you had a couple of christmas gifts from opponents but failed to take advantage. Here's what you do: Approach the first game and tell yourself that you like the first game, because it's one game that will almost always be a bigger problem for your opponent." Seriously, try it and see what happens,,, tell yourself that you like that feeling, the knowledge that the 1st game jitters is gonna give you more chances from even some of best players you might draw. You might as well, what do you really have to lose...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
01-02-2004, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr> ...i usually lose that one and either win or come in second in the tourney.
<hr /></blockquote>

And you see this as a problem? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~would like to have this problem

Fred Agnir
01-02-2004, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr> i have been playing pool for about 3 years, and consider myself a pretty good player. alot of the guys are amazed that i have only been playing for as long as i have.

my one problem is that when i play in tournaments i ALWAYS lose my first game. and i mean ALWAYS!

could it be that i need a game to get used to my surroundings or is it just nerves?

also, i have been reading the posts on this board for about 3-4 weeks now and alot of the techniques that you guys have discussed have improved my game.

any advice would be appreciated.

ray <hr /></blockquote> I think it's just a case of acclimating and adjusting. Getting and doing a set pre-tourney drill that forces you to get used to the table conditions might be your best bet. I recall Scott Lee (I think) a few years ago describing a short drill that tunes in the conditions more rapidly than just playing a few pre-tourney games.

Fred

ray
01-02-2004, 03:28 PM
wally,

i'm very competitive at EVERYTHING i do. and it's just that losing that one game is really annoying.

aggravating to tell you the truth, you know?

10-0 sounds alot better than 9-1, know what i mean?

ray

recoveryjones
01-02-2004, 04:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ray:</font><hr> wally,

i'm very competitive at EVERYTHING i do. and it's just that losing that one game is really annoying.

aggravating to tell you the truth, you know?

10-0 sounds alot better than 9-1, know what i mean?

ray <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Ray, I'm a competitive person as well and there's nothing wrong in DESIRING to win every game.Desire can make you a better player. However in stating that I love the thrill of a real close match between two evenly matched players where it goes one set apiece and hill-hill in a third set tie breaker.There are people in my pool hall that I'm capable at beating 10-0 or 9-1 and in either case I NEVER play them because for me I'll never IMPROVE as a player and find playing people that are no challenge extremley boring.It happened to me several years ago when I used to play snooker. I was amongst the top 2-3 Snookers players in my nieghbourhood pool hall regularily making 60 point runs.To get better I went downtown to a pool hall where the very best snooker players in Vancouver Canada played.These players could run 100 pts on a daily basis and at least 3 of them have been known to run 1 or more perfect games.Not only did I improve by going to play there, I was also HUMBLED.Today I play nine ball(snooker has died in this town) and I'm currently challenging the best players I can find and losing some and winning others.I suggest that if you are as good as you say you are that you travel to a pool hall that has better talent and you too will be a better player than you are right now.It sounds to me that there are weak players in your pool hall none of which are capable of running a rack if you are beating them 10-0 or 9-1.I say that because even our local pros here don't often beat B+ players 10-0 as anyone B+ or up can run some balls and even the best players in the world miss some shots in a race to ten. My new years challenge to you is to find a pool hall( or tournament) that offers stronger competition, unless of course you enjoy slaughtering very weak players. Happy New Year,RJ

recoveryjones
01-02-2004, 05:15 PM
OOOOPPPPS!!!! Sorry about the post above.Suffering from New Years brain freeze here folks.For some reason (only reading one post) I thought Ray was saying he was beating everyone badly while he was only saying that he's like to beat everyone real badly.....big difference and I stand corrected.Sorry Ray. Having said that I do believe my post (above) has some good merit in the fact that the stronger the competiton we challenge the stronger we will become as players and for me anyways the closer the match, the more exciting the pool.RJ
New Years resolution: To carefully read all the posts in a given topic before reacting to one specific sentence. LOL

ray
01-02-2004, 10:45 PM
no big deal, RJ.

and i hear what you're saying, i don't go looking to 'pick' on weaker players, it's just that in that first game, i'll miss key shots! EASY SHOTS!

some people are telling me that i'm taking the easy ones for granted, and i think that really is the problem.

once i lose that first match, i look at it as a slap in the face and i just go on a tear from there. maybe i should look at the first challenge the same way i do the others and i may go 10-0!

thanks for all the help

ray

Chris Cass
01-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Hi Ray,

Grady says that winning the first game of a set gives you a 65% chance of winning the match.

food for thought,

C.C.

cheesemouse
01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Ray,

Grady says that winning the first game of a set gives you a 65% chance of winning the match.

food for thought,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey C.C. what do you think the Professor Would say the Percentages were for the player that wins the last game of a match??? Hahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
01-04-2004, 05:45 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheese,

I'm thinking Grady would givem odds that he could find some action to get into. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif