PDA

View Full Version : Practicing Straight pool. How do you break?

cycopath
12-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Whenever you are practicing straight pool, do you just bust the rack wide open like an eightball break?

Or do you actually try to safe break and then break from there?

Just curious.

dmgwalsh
12-31-2003, 03:20 PM
I don't play a safe at the beginning nor do I do an eight ball break. I set up a break shot and see if I can execute and how far i can go.

nAz
12-31-2003, 03:44 PM
sometimes i do both usually i rack the balls and spin them out of the rack so they spread out evenly, then i do the staying down drill till (robles) I get to last ball and a break shot other times i set up this break...
START(
%AG0O2%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PD4T3%QT9J6%WC7D5%X F9N2%eC1a1
)END
Hopefully i leave the CB @ point A

wei ( ! ) (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

Alex_Delodge
12-31-2003, 03:46 PM
Crap: I just realized you weren't asking how to break after writing all the text below--I need to learn to read--anyway I would say practice the break till you have it down but when practicing patterns set up a standard break shot and work from there.

The standard break in straight pool works like this: Place your cue ball at the headstring one diamond from the rail.

Hit the corner ball of the rack about 1/3 full (experiment with this) with follow and running english (right english if breaking from the right side of the table; left if left side), the object is to have the cue ball go 4 rails--short rail, long rail, long rail on opposite side of table, and come to a rest (frozen if possible) on the bottom rail at the first diamond.

What will happen to the rack, on a perfect break is that the corner ball you hit will go to the short rail and back to the rack, the corner ball on the opposite side will go to the long rail and back to the rack. At the end of the break the rack should still look like a slightly disturbed triangle and none of the other balls but the two corner balls should have moved much at all.

As for smashing the rack, that's suicide. If you pocket balls or don't pocket balls that's useless--it's your opponents turn always after the break unless you actually call a ball to be pocketed on the break, and you make that ball (good luck). There actually are ways to do this, but the percentage is extremely poor.